BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New E39 M5 owner here, but definitely not a new BMW enthusiast. After a lot of research, I decided to splurge on an Slimmbones front lip. It seems to be the best looking front lip and highly reviewed.

After purchase, there was a week long delay in the lip being shipped out. I emailed Slimmbones about it, and found out one of their "key" employees had a stroke, so they closed to care for them. That's understandable, but seems as a business, there should be some backup plan.

Lip arrives, and I excitedly open it...only to find that there's no instructions, no hardware, no pre-drilled mounting holes, and worst of all...the quality is awful. There are chunks of rubber on there left from the mold process, the finish is awful, and the lip is completely warped from the flimsy packaging. I've received cheap eBay parts from Taiwan that are much better quality without being $300.

I guess I just expected more for $300...instead, I got a really poor quality piece of rubber that didn't even have mounting holes in it. I've emailed Slimmbones about this, and I hope they make it right.

Look at this thing...

·
Registered
8,716 Posts
Slim is a good guy. I'm sure he will take care of it. Probably would be a good idea to give him a full and fair opportunity to respond.

--Peter

·
Registered
86 Posts
How did you hear about this company? Quality looks pretty rough. Reminds me of a lip I had on my Sti thing ripped off constantly. Never doing an aftermarket lip.

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How did you hear about this company? Quality looks pretty rough. Reminds me of a lip I had on my Sti thing ripped off constantly. Never doing an aftermarket lip.
They're supposedly reputable around here. People speak highly of them.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Slim is a good guy and has helped me out a few times. I think you will find satisfactory resolution in the end. Unfortunate it is even needed but it will be made right.

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got a message from Slim apologizing for not including hardware or instructions. He said he'll send those out along with a partial refund for the troubles.

However, regarding the quality of the lip...

"As far as the piece itself - it’s to be sanded and painted, if so desired, as it is raw polyurethane. Because of the age of our E39’s and possible accidents, weather, different bumpers, etc. we allow for that slight medication when it gets to you."

So the justification is because the E39 is an older platform, they just let those imperfections slide...but still charge $300 for it. It's most definitely not a $300 piece, and I cannot recommend that thing to anyone if that's what they're charging for it. Be forewarned if you're thinking about buying one of their lips.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Please pics when you have it installed. Curious to see what it looks like.

·
Registered
397 Posts
From what I can see in the photos all of the imperfections are on the bottom of a poly lip?? Do you have any photos of the top...... That lip will save your bumper. I know my fiberglass one has on numerous occasions over the last 6-7 years. The lip survived the ice block of 2014 but the bumper didn't... removed a basketball hole in the bumper cover...... lip lives on.

Slimbones lips are well worth 3 bills and I'm damn glad he still supports the e39 platform.

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From what I can see in the photos all of the imperfections are on the bottom of a poly lip?? Do you have any photos of the top...... That lip will save your bumper. I know my fiberglass one has on numerous occasions over the last 6-7 years. The lip survived the ice block of 2014 but the bumper didn't... removed a basketball hole in the bumper cover...... lip lives on.

Slimbones lips are well worth 3 bills and I'm damn glad he still supports the e39 platform.
Both imperfections are on the top of the lip. One is definitely on the visible part on the outside in front of the center mesh grille.

I will sand it all down and paint it, but that's crummy QC for a $300 product. Like I said before, I've purchased parts pre-painted and in better shape with better fitment from eBay Taiwan stores.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Both imperfections are on the top of the lip. One is definitely on the visible part on the outside in front of the center mesh grille.

I will sand it all down and paint it, but that's crummy QC for a $300 product. Like I said before, I've purchased parts pre-painted and in better shape with better fitment from eBay Taiwan stores.

Photo please..... The photos above are the bottom.

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is what the lip is supposed to look like. Notice the nice finish and the presence of pre-drilled mounting holes.

They definitely sent me some B-Stock bullshit.

·
Registered
397 Posts
yes..... the photos you posted are of the bottom....... unfortunate about the holes and hardware. The photos you just posted are of a marketing photo. Can I see a photo of the top of your lip..... pretty please.

·
Registered
363 Posts
My lip spoiler came with similar imperfections. Not quite as big as yours but highly noticeable. I was a bit unimpressed with the product at the price point as well..I bought during the group buy so I paid less than normal retail which is the only reason I did not complain. :-/

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My lip spoiler came with similar imperfections. Not quite as big as yours but highly noticeable. I was a bit unimpressed with the product at the price point as well..I bought during the group buy so I paid less than normal retail which is the only reason I did not complain. :-/
Yeah, I'm trying to return this thing now, but communicating with them takes forever for responses. I'm not paying $300 for this junk. A friend of mine who works in the plastic industry said "I would never ever pay $300 for that"

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After two days, they finally agreed to refund in full and pay for my shipping to send this piece of junk back to them. Whether or not I actually get the label and my money back? We'll see.

It seems Mr. Slimmbones wasn't too happy I insulted his overpriced poor quality lip.

·
Registered
86 Posts
After two days, they finally agreed to refund in full and pay for my shipping to send this piece of junk back to them. Whether or not I actually get the label and my money back? We'll see.

It seems Mr. Slimmbones wasn't too happy I insulted his overpriced poor quality lip.
Probably a good call having it sent back. Didn't see the quality in the pictures.

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Probably a good call having it sent back. Didn't see the quality in the pictures.
Yeah...404 Quality Not Found.

I understand it's a part that is unfinished for painting, but for a premium price...it needs to look better than that. Not to mention the lack of mounting holes, arriving warped, and having no mounting hardware. This is what I expect for $100 from a Latvian on eBay, not $300 from a "reputable" company in California. I hope they feel good about ripping people off.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts
About this Discussion
146 Replies
30 Participants
Rosie
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing