BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Awesome job with the videos by the way; had no idea that the defroster lines are in the glass on the e38, ive wasted hours getting that tint crap off the back of m3

·
Registered
84 Posts
Do you still run Bremi just fine? I got also a set from engtecs at ebay, but once engine got warmed up multiple misfires started. Finally returned them back.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Awesome job with the videos by the way; had no idea that the defroster lines are in the glass on the e38, ive wasted hours getting that tint crap off the back of m3
Thank you! :)

Do you still run Bremi just fine? I got also a set from engtecs at ebay, but once engine got warmed up multiple misfires started. Finally returned them back.
So far, I only replaced 2 coils that were misfiring before, will replace all of them and spark plugs once I start working on the car. Engtecs price is steep on these, I got mine from Kfzteile and they have a fresh date from February 2020. Bremi is OEM and I don't see any other coils being available in Europe, what are you running now?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
How many of you on here are running 5W50 and for how many miles? I don't want to start a big debate, just gathering info.

I'm about to do an oil change and planning to go with the factory prescribed 10W60. The reason being that this car will live a hard life on the Autobahn and often be in high rpms for longer periods of time, so logic in me thinks thicker is better in this environment. But then you have many owners and Troy who builds them that swear by 5W50.

·
Registered
538 Posts
If I was running this at Spa or nschliefe, I’d run 10w60. Otherwise 5w50 is fine, it heats up faster than 10w60 and you want oil to reach operating temp sooner. Personally I run 0w40 on my cars which aren’t driven that often and spend I start them up every week in the winter (they live in the Northeast)

Also you know that your nosy German neighbors will cite the StVO section about how you can’t idle your engine. 😜

·
Registered
247 Posts
One vote for 5w50 here. Bearing temps will be ~50C higher than oil inlet temp, and I don't think you'll see much HTHS viscosity difference between 5w50 and 10w60.

·
Registered
292 Posts
5w50, 10w60, 0w40. Doesn't change the fact that you should still check your bearings at 50-60k intervals. At that point, might as well spend that little extra to change them since it'll be open and checking one conrod won't satisfy most people. I stick with 10w60.

Reactions: sreten

·
2,072 Posts
I used TWS for 2-3 years, with 10k-mile oil intervals. Car has been daily-driven through midwest winters and also sees an occasional track day. Recently switched to 5w50 to see what all the hype was about. Meh. I will switch back to 10w60 once I run out of 5w50. But working from home it will take a while...

61 - 71 of 71 Posts