BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
The battery is kaput.

thumbnail_20200505_143953.jpg

It has Autocraft battery which is the Harbor Freight brand if I'm not mistaken. Anyway, RealOEM says 90Ah AGM battery, I found Varta 95Ah AGM battery which I think should be fine. Just need to register it once I replace it.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
The battery is kaput.

View attachment 938382

It has Autocraft battery which is the Harbor Freight brand if I'm not mistaken. Anyway, RealOEM says 90Ah AGM battery, I found Varta 95Ah AGM battery which I think should be fine. Just need to register it once I replace it.
AutoCraft batteries are sold by Advance Auto Parts store.

·
4,344 Posts
Just to throw in some info, it's all under the Clarios umbrella (formerly Johnson Controls):

Johnson Controls acquired Varta in 2002 as per the website, but obviously the manufacturing never left Germany, Varta is also your concourse choice when it comes to BMW :p

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am really looking forward to watching this. Your youtube videos are great. I have watched them all. i think the videos motivated me to buy a 2007 m6 convertible project.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Not too bad. I bought a RHD LCI M5 from UK to serve me as an engine and some small bits donor. I plan to sell the rest to a dismantler, so if you need anything let me know. 69000 miles and overall in great shape, Silverstone 2 (white) interior and all...
Good score! I definitely need a lot of parts, I'll send you a message so we don't create clutter here.

AutoCraft batteries are sold by Advance Auto Parts store.
Cool. I left it on the charger to see if I can put some life into it.

Just to throw in some info, it's all under the Clarios umbrella (formerly Johnson Controls):

Johnson Controls acquired Varta in 2002 as per the website, but obviously the manufacturing never left Germany, Varta is also your concourse choice when it comes to BMW :p
Thanks for the info. I didn't know that. I also have the option of getting Exide which is OEM for BMW, they are actually a bit cheaper than Varta but same spec.

It was a productive day for this car, despite not planning so.

I bought headers with cats. They were removed from a car with 45k miles so they are in great condition. Got them for $430 shipped which is a decent deal.

Found the front bumper locally in the same color for $325. Well, when I say same I actually mean similar color but it doesn't really matter as the car is already 50 shades of gray and eventually it'll need a full repaint.

The bumper is very poorly painted, there are clear coat runs all over the place, but this will do nicely for now as I just need to replace the broken one when the time comes for TUV inspection. It wouldn't be able to pass with the current one.

I couldn't resist but do some simple troubleshooting today and look into those misfires. I pulled the ignition coil from cyl 4 that was showing misfire and found what looks to be a cheap Chinese coil that you can get on eBay. No stamps or labels anywhere, just the date that says it from 2018.

Decide to swap it with cyl 2 that wasn't misfiring and that one is NGK.

Pulled the plugs on cyl 2 & 4 and they are not terrible but not ideal either, a bit blackish though the tip is grayish. I'm not an expert when it comes to reading plugs.

I also swapped the ignition coil on cyl 8 that was showing misfire, with cyl 6. Cleared the codes and fired up the car, within a minute SES light came back.

And hey presto, the misfire moved to cylinder 2 & 6.

Think it's safe to say it's time for new ignition coils. I found Bremi coils for $325 (all 10) which according to RealOEM are OEM coils. I'll also get new plugs while at it.

·
2,072 Posts
Wow, surprising how quickly you are able to find parts.

A note about cats: our cars seem to kill cat converters. Mine had them replaced at about 50k miles under warranty. At some point Jim mentioned the katheizen routine is a likely cause for their early death.

·
Registered
538 Posts

Yep, there really are only 3-4 manufacturers of flooded lead acid or AGM batteries worldwide: JCI, Exide, East Penn, and other. Every “brand” from Bosch, BWM, Walmart/evermaxx, Interstate, Delco, Optima, Duralast, the list goes on are made by one of the 3. The differences are warranty, price and distribution.

·
Registered
22 Posts
OP, you wouldn't happen to be M539 Restorations on youtube would you? Man I love your channel, I can't wait for this build to be on youtube :LOL:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Yessir! Thank you. :)

I had to set up ISTA too as it seems like the most convenient tool to talk to this car.

Pulled 19 codes and I was able to clear most of them, we'll see what comes back once I drive it for a bit but not before misfires are sorted.

The airbag light code was for battery safety terminal, likely due to an empty battery.
The trifecta lights: code for DSC Hydraulic pump. I was able to clear the code and if it comes back I'll send it for a rebuild. I found a service in Germany that rebuilds them for $325.

Wow, surprising how quickly you are able to find parts.

A note about cats: our cars seem to kill cat converters. Mine had them replaced at about 50k miles under warranty. At some point Jim mentioned the katheizen routine is a likely cause for their early death.
Me too! This was basically the only used E60 M5 bumper for sale in whole Germany and it was local to me. Incredibly lucky.

For the cats, these look pretty good, I received them yesterday. Some friends are telling me just to go for inspection with the current setup, once I put the cover over the gearbox I'm pretty sure it will pass the visual inspection but then comes the tailpipe test as I know they measure emissions. And without primary cats, I think it'll fail... Thoughts?

If it does fail, it's not a big deal as the next time I just have to fix the thing it failed on and pay $12 for re-testing.

·
2,072 Posts
I'd give it a try. The secondaries appear to be there. If you can make sure the secondaries are hot when they do the emissions test it may pass. If they do an obd2 read then I've no idea what the criteria is over there. I believe most tunes leave the air pump system running so that its flag can be shown as ready.

·
Registered
538 Posts
It will be really interesting to see what they notice and detect, you’ll never really have this opportunity again to do something like this, since removing the headers will require the subframe to be pulled. Maybe you do get lucky since TUV never discovered all of the excess pollution from dieselgate/abgasskandal

I think the cover will not obscure the area of the primary cat since it would also impede natural convection heat transfer which is the only way the exhaust system cools down. I’ve kept my covers off since I’m constantly doing maintenance and looking for leaks, but it seems to cover most of the trans but on both sides it is cut away which gives clear access to the bottom of the cats.
I think the cover will not obscure the area of the primary cat since it would also impede natural convection heat transfer which is the only way the exhaust system cools down. I’ve kept my covers off since I’m constantly doing maintenance and looking for leaks, but it seems to cover most of the trans but on both sides it is cut away which gives clear access to the bottom of the cats.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Engine fixed!

Replaced 2 ignition coils that were throwing misfires and the engine is working flawlessly! It sounds incredible and I even drove it a bit even though technically I can't. The power is amazing in this thing.

The trifecta lights came back so I'll send the pump for rebuild but the airbag light stayed off, recharging the battery fixed it.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
538 Posts
Nice.I’d stick with Bremi coils since they were OEM. They are not merely “normal” coils like what’s on 99% of the cars on the road. Apparently BOSCH may also have been OEM also. They are a critical part of the feedback system that measures the combustion quality and then passes back that info to the DME. The S85 has no knock sensors to sense pre-ignition, it’s all measured by the ionic modules that look at the voltage across the coil after combustion. You can’t be certain Non OEM coils are have the same induction and resistance properties as OE/OEM coils are specd to. Plus they are quite cheap in Germany. In the US a lot of owners are like your prior owner, who go with other stuff, some of which may possible be repackaged OEM. NGK does do this sometimes, as does Bosch.

There is a trick you can try for the DSC module (if it is the usual ATE module problem, Post the code(s) that the DSC is throwing). If it is the right failure mode -5DF0 the trick is whack the black cylinder housing with a hammer a few times. That may get the motor to unseize, but that doesn’t always work. Something easy to try before you rip out the lines to send it away. I have this issue on one of my 6MT M5s, but it’s gonna be my track car, and I don’t want DSC or ABS anyways.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I bought a repair kit to fix the ABS pump. The kit comes with carbon brushes (most common failure point) and new bearing.

This is what I found when I opened it.

I don't think it's repairable. Looks like the rubber seal failed and water was coming in and now it's rusty and full of gunk.

I ordered a used one on which I'll service before I put it in the car. Hopefully, the electronic module can be just transferred to the new pump so I don't have to code anything.

·
Registered
538 Posts
That looks pretty bad, it could possibly saved if you could get the motor part ultrasonically cleaned.

Yes the module does separate from the pump.

this is a common design for ATE, so you may be able to find a non M5 assembly (like a 535, 545, or 550) and mate it to the module you have.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
The main issue I have with this pump, besides the rust and gunk, is that the bearing is stuck in the block, it won't budge and I don't see a way to remove it without damaging something.

I just bought a replacement one from a guy that's parting out E60 M5 for $120 which I think is reasonable. He says it was working fine before removal but I'll open it regardless.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Yep 120 is a no brainer since these units used (and In questionable state) go for 800-1000. Separate the module and check if there is any additional water ingress damage.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Where did you get a set of Bremi for that price?

·
Registered
958 Posts
Here's my latest video of E31 850i that I revived after 16 years of being locked up in a garage by the previous owner.

I made a little skit in the end regarding the latest purchase.

holy crap just noticed this got a million views!

41 - 60 of 71 Posts