BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Great thread and videos. BMW 3 pedal driver since my orange 1976 2002, 1986 325, a few 540s, a 2000 E39 which saved my life, and this work of art. 2008 10 cylinders 3 pedals. NO wire by throttle. NO wire by brakes. NO annoying turbo lag. Bought new, stock, 120,000 personally driven miles. Original clutch.
No accidents or problems. IF I thought of selling should I look at the German market? 1250 examples in the US. Don’t understand why no trade in value

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
And you have to do TÜV 21 for which the car needs to be 100% mechanically sound and converted to Euro-spec, lights mainly. At the end of the day, don't think it's worth the trouble unless you have a committed buyer in Europe that's willing to work with that.

@xjan99 I think I saw yours popping up for sale not long ago on mobile.de, it's odd that someone would rip out the important bits from it and not just use it as it was. Hopefully you put it back together quickly. What will you do for the gearbox?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, I found it on Mobile.de, was in Netherlands. It came from US without engine-gearbox. Luckily the drive shaft is still there + my car has Dinan exhaust :). Although there is a 6MT M5 clutch-flywheel-gearbox kit for sale in Poland (on ebay) they want silly money... My plan is to use E9X manual gearbox, which is already coming my way, I will go for a single mass flywheel also. I also plan to hook up the E9X gearbox oil cooler pump + add an extra oil radiator up front then too.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Subscribed to the E39 thread but subscribing here too, looking forward to see what excitement this one holds - and hopefully seeing the neglected M5 come back to life!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Great thread and videos. BMW 3 pedal driver since my orange 1976 2002, 1986 325, a few 540s, a 2000 E39 which saved my life, and this work of art. 2008 10 cylinders 3 pedals. NO wire by throttle. NO wire by brakes. NO annoying turbo lag. Bought new, stock, 120,000 personally driven miles. Original clutch.
No accidents or problems. IF I thought of selling should I look at the German market? 1250 examples in the US. Don’t understand why no trade in value

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It does have throttle by wire

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Winnie d turd has landed in Frankfurt!

It's pretty much what I expected. The bumper needs to be replaced, some dings here and there, the doors on the left side are a different color, the interior is disgustingly filthy...
Bunch of lights on the dash but it runs and drives, the engine is misfiring and idling high but sounds healthy. No crazy noises. Clutch feels really good.

I didn't have time for a thorough inspection, just quickly pulled the codes from DME: coolant temp sensor, thermostat and misfires...

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Overall clean from underneath. Rear sway bar link is not stock, oil leak that's coming from the oil drain plug and a leak from one of the power steering lines. That's it, I expected far more leaks to he honest. Tires are good but older, front and rear rotors have a lip and there's a clunk coming from the front suspension.

I got really excited when I saw Superpsrint on the exhaust thinking it might have SS headers but nien, just SS decat pipes. The welding was done very well and the car sounds amazing, not too loud but you can hear that V10 singing properly.

Now, I don't know a lot on this topic but from what I read the car needs to be tuned once the cats are removed otherwise it'll throw CEL. I know the last owner didn't do it so I can only assume it was done at some point.
I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to go back to stock and reinstate primary cats as it won't be able to pass German emission inspection like this. I already found headers with stock cats that have low miles so I can just swap them out but then I'll need to go back to the factory tune.

If anyone with more experience can chime in on this topic I'd appreciate it!

I definitely have work cut out with this M5 but all in all, I think I did pretty well considering how much I paid. It'll clean up nicely once I'm done with it.

·
2,097 Posts
Yep if there's no cat codes it must have a tune. Flashing back to stock is easy with winkfp tho.

The engine drain plug is not stock. It's an allen-type fastener.

That rear swaybar looks like a dinan one.

You removed the front, engine and trans covers for pics right? Don't ever drive the car without them. They hold the front liners in place. If you don't they rub against the tires. Learned the hard way: liners are NOT cheap.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I think flashing back to stock shouldn't be a problem then. Just ordered stock headers with cats which I'll have to install before I take it for TUV inspection.

Thanks, I'll order a new drain plug to replace it.

Actually, it doesn't have any of the covers. What you see in pictures is how I received it. Both front liners are also missing, they are also expensive on my E39 M5 so I expect nothing less on this one.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The fender liners are there, I'll have to verify their condition but pork chops (the ones that connect to the bumper) are missing.

·
2,097 Posts
Ah you mean the bottom shields then.

For reference, this is what mine looked like after running without the bottom shields.

·
Registered
559 Posts
the trans looks a bit wet, one of mine was similar. I think I may have to replace the rear output shaft seal. Any more close up pictures of yours?

also looks like the car was driven for a while with that plastic chin close out panel given all the dirt/splash marks and rust. Funny thing is that on one of mine (LCI) it looks like it was seldom removed, which tells me that they didn't drain the front oil pan! I guess that is one reason why people run these without the close out panel.

·
Premium Member
E60 M5 and building engines
134 Posts
Yep if there's no cat codes it must have a tune. Flashing back to stock is easy with winkfp tho.

The engine drain plug is not stock. It's an allen-type fastener.

That rear swaybar looks like a dinan one.

You removed the front, engine and trans covers for pics right? Don't ever drive the car without them. They hold the front liners in place. If you don't they rub against the tires. Learned the hard way: liners are NOT cheap.
Hello flacoramos,

Also noticed no front sump oil drain plug? The oil pan is older than 2007? I thought first year for M/T cars was 2007 M.Y.?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hello flacoramos,

Also noticed no front sump oil drain plug? The oil pan is older than 2007? I thought first year for M/T cars was 2007 M.Y.?
First model year for MT cars was 2007. Didn't the updated oil pan come with LCI? So MY 2008 for North American cars?

·
Premium Member
E60 M5 and building engines
134 Posts
Hello N_Rob,

I do not know the specific year for oil pan change. Only noticed because I purchased two S85's and the difference in the oil pan. As sold, the single drain plug pan was an "06 M.Y." and the "twin plug" was an 2007.

I do not have the actual BMW info on the change....hopefully someone else knows and can chime in and provide the true info.

Mr. P

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
the trans looks a bit wet, one of mine was similar. I think I may have to replace the rear output shaft seal. Any more close up pictures of yours?

also looks like the car was driven for a while with that plastic chin close out panel given all the dirt/splash marks and rust. Funny thing is that on one of mine (LCI) it looks like it was seldom removed, which tells me that they didn't drain the front oil pan! I guess that is one reason why people run these without the close out panel.
Yep, the trans is a bit. It was raining when I pulled it inside so will look into that further.

The production date of this M5 is 2006-12-13 and it's definitely not LCI.

21 - 40 of 84 Posts