BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Long time E39 M5 owner her but new to E60 generation. If you hang out in E39 section, then you might know my thread - My German Autobahn Mile Muncher - '01 Titanium Silver E39 M5

Just finished reviving 1991 E31 850i 6-speed and was looking for a new project when I stumbled upon this example in North Carolina.

2007 Silver Gray E60 M5 with black leather interior. Prod. date - 12/2006, 4 owners, 142k miles and to put it gently, rough condition.

VIN: CX07650

90549259_577353856324745_8150718780905881600_n.jpg

89979187_2594719194139393_5181040107389452288_n.jpg

90302523_214842909719535_1058404010454679552_n.jpg

89964466_494910204749643_7640758437470535680_n.jpg

83735179_864443227403069_4427990258587533312_n.jpg

90050839_792662007891890_7117202868980940800_n.jpg

Clean title, but front end accident noted on Carfax in 2014. No service history other than what's on Carfax. The previous owner who had it for the last 8 months has no idea if rod bearings were ever done so that is one of the first things that will be done. As far as I researched, it's probable that they were done considering the mileage but I'll be replacing them in any case.

Things I know so far: pretty much every single light on the dash is on, misfire cyl. 4 & 8, engine works lumpy but otherwise pulls and doesn't have any knocking or unusual noises coming from it, primary cat delete (I hate that!), front bumper is cracked, interior is disgusting, 1 key, M5 badge randomly slapped on back...

00505_dH5b85cMRV4_1200x900.jpg

A friend of a friend went to see the car in person for me and told me not to buy it, so I did. I agreed on the price with the seller and wired him the money. The car is currently sitting in the driveway of a said friend and waiting to be picked and transported to New York from where it'll go to Bremerhaven and eventually come to me in Frankfurt. I've already imported E38 750iL from Dubai to Germany so I'm familiar with the process.

I wasn't planning on getting an E60 M5 but a manual tranny is what sealed the deal for me as that's something that was never available in Europe. Plus, at $6k this was a once in a lifetime type of deal for a clean title 6-speed E60 M5!

That said, this is a prime example of a basket case car that will have a ton of issues and inevitably be a money pit. Nonetheless, I'm very excited, I love the color, love the spec and overall can't wait to get it delivered and start troubleshooting.

Plan with this car is to do a thorough inspection and make a list of things it will need and see how much money it will eat in the beginning. It will take a lot to get it to pass German TUV, lights need to be converted to Euro-spec, I need to source and reinstall primary cats and get in perfect mechanical shape.

Since it will likely take a long time before I get it, for now I'm doing research on the rod bearing job as this is something I'll tackle myself and it'll be my first time doing it so I want to be sure I do it properly and cover all while in there items.

Any tips/suggestions are highly welcomed!

Cheers!

·
Registered
6,140 Posts
Great to see another 6MT getting rescued by an enthusiast! I have enjoyed reading your e39 journey, and I think I saw your e38 75 OiL journey on youtube.

Can your friend pull any codes off the e60, otherwise it's a guessing game. For sure, without cats, the car is throwing out increased emissions code.

I've owned my 6MT for the last 8/9 years and sitting at 170,000+ miles. I have yet to find a "modern" replacement that doesn't drive like an appliance.

Looking forward to your e60 journey.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've also followed your E39 thread through and through - it's awesome! Looking forward to this, wish you had it already and were tearing into it! That being said, the investment is severe if you care. Especially if you care to perfection. The amount of floors this car can fall through before ever hitting the basement is amazing.

The engine is what most people consider the component most likely to need work. They're not wrong, but you'll be into dampers, bushings, trans components, diff seals and bushings, etc.

Once you start the workup on everything you won't be able to stop. Your bank will call you to make sure you aren't being extorted by some mob boss. Seems like you can handle it!

·
Registered
255 Posts
AArgh!

Damn you! And it's in NC too! What town did you buy it out of?
I just did something similar on an SMG car.

Hmmm, the cops will be busy with the corona virus....where is the car, um, uh, currently located?

BTW reading your other thread, Sirolo looks awesome. Hope the E60 turns out well for you!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
seems like he imported it to Germany? Is that right?

so the new count in the US is 1363....

Value on mine just jumped up a few dollars. ha!

·
Registered
559 Posts
@sreten

Glückwunsch zum neuen Geldgrab! Several years ago, I used to live and work in Russelsheim, yes such a crappy town. Cool to see you are taking something like this on. I've been curious about M5/M6 in DE, are there many of these in the Schrottplätze? I know that non DE cars are not looked upon as well in DE but it seems like situations like this one where manual transmissions was not available, this may be quite abit more valuable despite the accident history etc. Are you shipping this via container or RoRo? I figure it your car will ship out of Newark, NJ right? If you are doing a container, you can load it with other parts or tools too. I'm in the NYC/NJ area, I have a ICOM Next with ISTA+, if you friend is not too far away, I can pull the codes out for you. I may be able to help you with original stock headers with the primary cats. I also have the complete intact, uncut exhaust system (sections 1, 2, & 3) with the secondary cat intact.

I did something perhaps even more foolish a few months back but it was a 08 SMG clear title with 127k miles, I paid less but it is a SMG and yours is a 6MT, so you still have the better deal in reality. I also have accumulated 2 other 08 6MTs, unfortunately one is a scrap title, so it will be my track car. I was thinking of shipping it to DE for the summer to use as my ringtool, since it will be much cheaper for me than renting track prepped cars, but this while virus stuff has put that plan on hold.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great to see another 6MT getting rescued by an enthusiast! I have enjoyed reading your e39 journey, and I think I saw your e38 75 OiL journey on youtube.

Can your friend pull any codes off the e60, otherwise it's a guessing game. For sure, without cats, the car is throwing out increased emissions code.

I've owned my 6MT for the last 8/9 years and sitting at 170,000+ miles. I have yet to find a "modern" replacement that doesn't drive like an appliance.

Looking forward to your e60 journey.
Thank you! I'll be making a video series on this car as well. Pulling codes and troubleshooting remotely isn't that important as I'll do that anyway once it arrives, for now it's enough that it can drive off and on the truck.

170k miles! Nice job, you are using it properly and it's great to hear that. Btw, this is the newest BMW I ever bought. What they make now is just that, an appliance.

I've also followed your E39 thread through and through - it's awesome! Looking forward to this, wish you had it already and were tearing into it! That being said, the investment is severe if you care. Especially if you care to perfection. The amount of floors this car can fall through before ever hitting the basement is amazing.

The engine is what most people consider the component most likely to need work. They're not wrong, but you'll be into dampers, bushings, trans components, diff seals and bushings, etc.

Once you start the workup on everything you won't be able to stop. Your bank will call you to make sure you aren't being extorted by some mob boss. Seems like you can handle it!
Thanks! Oh, I'm sure of it. I was just calculating the cost for fitting Euro-spec LCI headlights and if I go with new parts it's well over $2k so it will be fun.

AArgh!

Damn you! And it's in NC too! What town did you buy it out of?
I just did something similar on an SMG car.

Hmmm, the cops will be busy with the corona virus....where is the car, um, uh, currently located?

BTW reading your other thread, Sirolo looks awesome. Hope the E60 turns out well for you!
It was in Raleigh, it's still there. The shipping company should pick it up this or next week so you don't have a lot of time : )

Thanks!

seems like he imported it to Germany? Is that right?

so the new count in the US is 1363....

Value on mine just jumped up a few dollars. ha!
The import process is underway but the car is still in NC. It will be a pretty rare bird on this side of the pond.

@sreten

Glückwunsch zum neuen Geldgrab! Several years ago, I used to live and work in Russelsheim, yes such a crappy town. Cool to see you are taking something like this on. I've been curious about M5/M6 in DE, are there many of these in the Schrottplätze? I know that non DE cars are not looked upon as well in DE but it seems like situations like this one where manual transmissions was not available, this may be quite abit more valuable despite the accident history etc. Are you shipping this via container or RoRo? I figure it your car will ship out of Newark, NJ right? If you are doing a container, you can load it with other parts or tools too. I'm in the NYC/NJ area, I have a ICOM Next with ISTA+, if you friend is not too far away, I can pull the codes out for you. I may be able to help you with original stock headers with the primary cats. I also have the complete intact, uncut exhaust system (sections 1, 2, & 3) with the secondary cat intact.

I did something perhaps even more foolish a few months back but it was a 08 SMG clear title with 127k miles, I paid less but it is a SMG and yours is a 6MT, so you still have the better deal in reality. I also have accumulated 2 other 08 6MTs, unfortunately one is a scrap title, so it will be my track car. I was thinking of shipping it to DE for the summer to use as my ringtool, since it will be much cheaper for me than renting track prepped cars, but this while virus stuff has put that plan on hold.
Danke! I've been in Frankfurt for over 2 years now, before that in Berlin and before that in Santa Barbara. Never been to Russelsheim though.

There aren't that many, even crappy examples get fixed up as the value is still there. Probably the cheapest E60 M5 you can find in Germany is $17k. Manual tranny will definitely add value here and I'm hoping the accident wasn't that bad, Carfax says he rear-ended someone, I'll be replacing the front bumper so I'll know more then.

In a container, same company that transported my E38 from Dubai so they'll take care of everything. Not sure from where it will exactly leave, I just know it's NY.

Thanks for your offer, but it's still in Raleigh, NC so it's pretty far. Honestly, I did really did good, in Germany you can't even buy a parts car for this money. Obviously, I'll double my investment by the time it gets here but I still think it's a good deal for a manual car.

Stock headers with primary cats would be a great help! I'll reply to your PM!

That's a shame but I'm sure the opportunity to take it to the Ring will come up again.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I watched your build on the E38 forum, I have a 740 and now a 750. It would seem that you like challenges, you got one now! Good luck and I'll be watching you build here as well.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Jealous of you being able to import. I want so badly to import a C6 RS6 sedan into the US, to add to my V10 sedan stable. The C6 S6 doesn't really appeal to me as much. It seems to me that since we got the C6 A6/S6 sedan here it wouldn't have to be crash tested but with the different powertrain I suppose it does. Too much hassle. Good luck with the build!

·
Premium Member
E60 M5 and building engines
134 Posts
Jealous of you being able to import. I want so badly to import a C6 RS6 sedan into the US, to add to my V10 sedan stable. The C6 S6 doesn't really appeal to me as much. It seems to me that since we got the C6 A6/S6 sedan here it wouldn't have to be crash tested but with the different powertrain I suppose it does. Too much hassle. Good luck with the build!
Hello N_Rob,

Also jealous! In USA it is 25yrs to avoid EPA cert. I lived oversea and wanted to bring back some fun motorcycles/cars, but could not (no military exemptions)

LOL: It is very satisfying to see the S85 that was a "bad fit" to a manual transmission and only offered in the USA to be repatriated to Europe!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Here's my latest video of E31 850i that I revived after 16 years of being locked up in a garage by the previous owner.

I made a little skit in the end regarding the latest purchase.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just finished watching your video from my YouTube subscriptions and when you said 10 cylinders and 3 pedals I knew this thread must be you.

Good work by the way. Your videos are really good.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm actually subscribed to your Youtube channel! Big fan of what you do and always looking forward to your next contribution there.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just finished watching your video from my YouTube subscriptions and when you said 10 cylinders and 3 pedals I knew this thread must be you.

Good work by the way. Your videos are really good.
Thanks, man! Always nice to hear that. : )

Yeah, 10 cyl and 3 pedals is a dead giveaway!

Why am I not surprised about this? :)

Looking forward to watching this revival! Love the randomly placed M5 badge...made it more "unique." ;)
Thanks, Kiz! Yeah, bo surprise there :)

I'm actually subscribed to your Youtube channel! Big fan of what you do and always looking forward to your next contribution there.
Thank you! Much appreciated!

I watched your build on the E38 forum, I have a 740 and now a 750. It would seem that you like challenges, you got one now! Good luck and I'll be watching you build here as well.
Thank you! E38 is still ongoing process, hopefully I can finish it before the M5 arrives.

Thanks! That's definitely a cool car, 25 year import law sucks! Here you can import whatever you want and registered it as long as it meets EU spec and has valid German TUV.

Hi - mine is a 6speed manual from US too, now also in Europe and waiting for a heart-transplant + transmission :). Pretty much your car's twin BMW E60 M5 2006 SILBERGRAU METALLIC (A08) KLIMAVOLLLEDERSCHWARZ (X2SW) - WBSNB93547CX07132
That definitely looks like a much better version of my M5! I didn' get the part about the transplant though.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
hehe... ironically... I recognize the address and front of the building the car is parked in front of. I used to live in that neighborhood two blocks over.
I look forward to following the journey Mr. 3 pedal guy.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts