BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha Guys,

I wanted to start a journal to document my upcoming build. I traded in my e60 over the weekend for this f10. The e60 was and still is awesome, but my paranoia was at an all time high with her. The recent spike in vanos solenoids from 350 to almost 2k a pop put me over the edge. As such it was time to move on.

The space ship:

2016 Space Gray on full black leather w/ aluminum trim
Competition Package
Executive Package
Driver Assistance Package
Cell Phone Integration
B&O Sound
Mperformance Kidney Grills

I plan to start the mods soon. Want to get the rest of the X5M and e60 M5 parts sold first. Hopefully soon...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The old gal:

Specs:

2010 Sapphire black on black
Eventuri Intake
Tubi Rumore exhaust
Gas monoball control arm bushings
Alcantara steering wheel
Pedal Haus Pedals
Gloss black kidney and side grills
Intrax coilovers that I never got around to installing

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Congrats! Subscribed and looking forward to your build. Recently moved on from my E60 M5 as well. Sadly mine was totaled in an accident (girl ran red light into a intersection not paying attention and crashed into me). I'm finding that this car doesn't really need much (at least for now). My E60 was fully modded with race headers and all.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congrats! Subscribed and looking forward to your build. Recently moved on from my E60 M5 as well. Sadly mine was totaled in an accident (girl ran red light into a intersection not paying attention and crashed into me). I'm finding that this car doesn't really need much (at least for now). My E60 was fully modded with race headers and all.
Thanks! Your e60 sounds like it was awesome, must have been hard on you. Glad you are okay though as that is all that matters in the end. Yeah right now with my very limited time with her I only really notice two things; noise and suspension. Car is too quiet and too boaty for my liking. I have everything in sport plus except the steering right now. I will say it is extremely comfortable though. Not even my X5M was this comfortable. It's actually a little weird to be so comfortable in a M car...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just came from an e90 M3.

I have a 14 CP Space Gray, we are almost twins :)

I agree with the boaty statement. I'll just have to get used to it I suppose, its not a race car for the street, it's an NCC Enterprise Class Super Salooooon!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just came from an e90 M3.

I have a 14 CP Space Gray, we are almost twins :)

I agree with the boaty statement. I'll just have to get used to it I suppose, its not a race car for the street, it's an NCC Enterprise Class Super Salooooon!
That's awesome, spaceships ftw! Yeah plan is to deboat her. Seems simple enough. KW's, Dinan sways, and Dinan balls should do it. Only decision is v3 vs clubsport, which honestly will probably end up being wallet dependent whenever I pull the trigger. Currently the list price for the clubsports are ridiculously overpriced imo. That is like JRZ, Moton territory. However the fact they use linear springs has me excited. Wallet is used to it though. These beasts aren't called Break My Wallet for nothing...

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I'm planning on DINAN sways and monoball as well. My e60 was fully DINAN'd out. 3 failed 3.91 diffs though (luckily all covered under warranty). I figured can't go wrong with their sway bars. Going to do their sway bars first then maybe consider springs. Their stage 1 tune for the F10 is mighty enticing as well....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm planning on DINAN sways and monoball as well. My e60 was fully DINAN'd out. 3 failed 3.91 diffs though (luckily all covered under warranty). I figured can't go wrong with their sway bars. Going to do their sway bars first then maybe consider springs. Their stage 1 tune for the F10 is mighty enticing as well....

That sucks on the diff part. Yeah the Dinan sways this time around look like a much better solution than their e60 offering did. Drilling new holes in the front oem bar never sat quite right with me. The balls should be awesome. Had gas balls on the e60, but they do not make a pair for the f10 yet so looks like Dinan wins there as well. These components paired with some KW's should really transform the beast for the better. I never changed edc in either so loosing that functionality is not a big deal to me. Predictability is what I'm after.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Big things from small beginnings time. Took care of a couple essentials last night. Gloss black fender grills from IND and debadged the trunk. I had the entire grill done in gloss black as I really can't handle matte anything on a car. Drives me crazy. Plus the mperformance kidney grills are gloss black now so I needed to tie the fenders in with them and the window trim.

Debadging is just something I have always done. It does not look clean to me with a badge in the corner. I have a M5 license plate on order though as I'm not opposed to the badging, just the placement. This way it will be nice and centered below the roundel and everything will flow. Yes way too much thought goes into the little things, but the little things are what makes a build imo.

Before:

IND:

The only tools I used. The fork to pry and the slab to decompress one tab. After one tab is free you can literally just pull the whole grill out. Super easy.

Debadged with a horrible pic. Super easy. Use a hair dryer on it for a bit to loosen adhesive. Take one of the tools from above and pry a corner up. Then just pull off the badge. Use hairdryer again after to make the adhesive tape come right off. Couldn't be easier. Now on an older car it would probably be a bit of a pain, but on a new car it is cake.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Nice. You've done the same I've done with the same goodies from IND. Couldn't believe how easy the front grill replacement was. I had a little trouble with the side grills but eventually got out and replaced. Next on the document for me is extended warranty purchase before my factory warranty is up then either exhaust or suspension mods.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Space Gray:cheers:
Just following your lead! :wink

Congratulations on your purchase! It looks amazing in that color, and i love what you've done so far. Looking forward to see what other mods are in your new beast's future!
Thank you sir for the compliments! Hoping to to make this build an epic one.

Nice. You've done the same I've done with the same goodies from IND. Couldn't believe how easy the front grill replacement was. I had a little trouble with the side grills but eventually got out and replaced. Next on the document for me is extended warranty purchase before my factory warranty is up then either exhaust or suspension mods.

Thanks! Sounds like you are on the right path as well. I'm doing coilovers first, then intake and muffler. This should address my two complaints with her, boaty and quiet. After that perhaps some aesthetics and then finishing up suspension with Dinan. Tune and wheels will be after that and then I'll be good to go. In theory anyways...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:grin:grin:grin

Then sadness...

:frown:frown:frown

My friend is working with KW already on a replacement. Of course this was the only kit in stock, but at least the replacement will be factory fresh so that's awesome.

·
Registered
105 Posts
your signature and this thread needs an update.:Thumbdown::Thumbdown:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Mod update:

RK intake and mperformance pedals.

I know a bit of a weird combo, but modding can be impulsive. Speaking of impulse RK is currently running a ridiculous special on their intakes so I went for it. They shipped it 2nd day air to me, which was a welcomed surprise. Parts always take forever getting to Hawaii. Anyways the box arrived in one piece and everything was well packaged. I couldn't wait to install it so I put it on the same night it arrived. Hence the lack of complete pics. I do plan on adjusting the driver side some this weekend as I know I can do a better job on the install. My friend came over, beers were had, it got late, etc. I'm sure you guys know how that goes. So on to the pics:

Packaging plus filters:

The supplement components. I went with the water socks as I'm super paranoid about that stuff. Plus the black socks help to hide the filters behind the grills, which cleans ups the look imo.

Carbon Fiber! Tubes of awesome and the quality is great:

Stock:

Gutted. I was surprised at just how easy it was to remove the kidneys and oem intakes. Maybe because the car is still new, but it went uncharacteristically smooth for me. One beer difficulty.

Maf transfer. Again I was surprised at just how easily the mafs went out and then into the RK tubes. In my limited experience maf housings have always been hit or miss intake wise so again a one beer difficulty. :D

Then it became night and the beer difficulty increased. The hardest part for me on the install was getting the elbows slid in and then fitting the tubes into the elbows. Of course I have no pictures of this. To busy being frustrated lol. It really wasn't that bad now that I look at it, but night time is dark. That's my excuse anyways. I do have a couple pics of the cf tub going into the elbow.

This is looking through the opening next to the hood latches so forgive the quality. I wanted to give you guys an idea. All the oem plastic intake parts need to be yanked out in order to fir the RK stuff. This would be where the oem plastic elbow would be:

Another angle from below the RK tube:

This pic is of the elbow coming out into the kidney area. It already has the metal connecting tube and filter installed. I adjusted the filter clamp after so no worries:

Black socks are black:

Some final pics from the following day:

I'm using the usmillworks tow hook mount for those curious:

Here is one pic of the mperformance pedals. Install was easy and they match the oem dead pedal well imo.

That's it for now. KW is working on a replacement set of clubsports for me and I have an Eisenmann black series race with gloss 102's showing up on Friday. Hoping to get the noise boxes installed this Saturday.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mod update:

Eisenmann Race Black Series with 102mm tips

My sedan toy before this F10 was an E60 with a Tubi rumore. As such the lack of sound was extremely apparent. Felt like I was driving a bank vault. The fake sound action from the speaker engine didn't help things either. Just sounded off. So the race was the solution. Paired with the intakes, the beast is found. The driving experience fun factor has gone up considerably. Everyone here should do a tube based intake, an exhaust, and disable asd. It completely solved my sound issue.

This is my 3rd Eisenmann and wanted to step up to the race sound level fro this car. I figured the extra insulation warranted the sound increase. I'm definitely glad I did as it sounds perfect now to me. I had an Eisenmann sport on my old E46 M3 and on my old E70 X5M. I just really like the Eisenmann sound. Can't explain why, it just is what it is. :D

Received the noise boxes on Friday and my friend installed them on Saturday.

Great packaging as always:

Awesomeness. Went black series to hide the mufflers and gloss black on the tips to stay oem plus competition like.

Point of no return:

One of these is not like the other:

Canons getting put in:

Dark pic is dark:

Tips:

That's all for now. Next up will be the KW's. If more X5M parts sell I should be able to get the Dinan sway bars and balls done too. Then the boat problem will be solved. :D

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Beautiful. Ironically I was just on their site today looking at those black tip ones! Just gorgeous man and I'm sure it helped the sound quite a bit. Probably my next purchase after I pull the trigger soon on a extended warranty before my warranty is up.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Beautiful. Ironically I was just on their site today looking at those black tip ones! Just gorgeous man and I'm sure it helped the sound quite a bit. Probably my next purchase after I pull the trigger soon on a extended warranty before my warranty is up.

Thanks! Yeah they are awesome looking and sound even better. Definitely pull the trigger on them. :D

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Thanks! Yeah they are awesome looking and sound even better. Definitely pull the trigger on them. :D

On my radar as I had the black Dinan tips on my E60 with full racing exhaust. Black tips really gave it a nice look.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts