779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought i would make a thread about my Bearing swap

2008 M5
6 speed
63k miles
5-6k oil changes

No track days ever

Bearings are toast, i caught it before they spun, i saw the cooper in the oil and pulled the engine the next day in my shop at home

I hope to get it going by the 1st of the year!

·
Registered
35 Posts
is the main indication the copper bits in the oil ? Assume this is a big job as seems serious taking the engine out .
is there anyway i can get my garage to test weather i need them doing ?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I'm not technical, but why is it that the Upper Bearings seem more worn than the lower ones?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Replace the slave cylinder!

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For changing only the rod bearings it is not necessary to remove the engine.

- Antti -
While it may not be required it is much easier to work on the engine on the stand. If you have the ability to pull the engine I would.

Fighting gravity sucks and staring up at the bottom of an engine for hours on end is no fun at all.

I talked to a couple guys who have done this and they all said before they did the rob bearing swap they didn't think it would be easier to pull the engine but if they had to do it over they would pull the engine the 2nd time around

I totally understand why now, more work yes. Easier to work on yes and my neck isn't killing me

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
What type of oil? How long have you owned the car? That wear is completely unacceptable for 63k miles.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i bought it with 27k and the previous owner had like 4 oil changes.

I have done oil changes with 5w40 every 5-6k miles. Yeah it sucks but what can you do

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I have done oil changes with 5w40 every 5-6k miles. Yeah it sucks but what can you do
Well, that's not good. There are plenty of failed S85s using 10/60, but a lot of those folks the issue has been oil change interval, warm up time, etc.

You warmed yours up, had proper interval changes, and still had this kind of wear at low mileage. Not enough details for the masses, but to me, I'll never use thin oil because of this thread.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, that's not good. There are plenty of failed S85s using 10/60, but a lot of those folks the issue has been oil change interval, warm up time, etc.

You warmed yours up, had proper interval changes, and still had this kind of wear at low mileage. Not enough details for the masses, but to me, I'll never use thin oil because of this thread.
I think the thinner oil helped me get this far, the thicker 10w60 from what i have read is what really eats bearings upon cold starts. I have no way to verify this i do know my motor was smoother on cold starts and quieter on cold starts with 5W-40

I will keep running the 5W-40, if i recall Troy runs 0W40?

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Those bearings look absolutely horrendous for the miles. Something doesn't seem right just comparing to other members who have had their bearings done so far.

Good thing you caught it before it was too late looks like you got a good start already.

How many miles have you been running the 5W-40? Since 27k miles?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Troy said i didn't drive my car hard enough? and that lead to more wear

not sure how that makes sense but i have no reason not to believe him

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Those bearings look absolutely horrendous for the miles. Something doesn't seem right just comparing to other members who have had their bearings done so far.

Good thing you caught it before it was too late looks like you got a good start already.

How many miles have you been running the 5W-40? Since 27k miles?
i think i changed to 5W-40 at like 35k miles after meeting troy
also my buddy car is an 08 at troys now with 72k miles and he actually spun a bearing and toasted the motor with 10w60. So i have no reason to think the thinner oil was the issue at all

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Your previous oil reports should tell you if the oil was breaking down. Its hard to tell what causes the bearings to wear.
I cant see it being oil, some people abuse general cars and never change the oil till over 20,000 miles or more and their engine is still fine. I know they are not S85/65 engines but they get a hard time on oil that is full of **** and has broken down to nearly water.

·
Registered
DinanS2+ e60m5 6MT, s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,269 Posts
i think i changed to 5W-40 at like 35k miles after meeting troy
also my buddy car is an 08 at troys now with 72k miles and he actually spun a bearing and toasted the motor with 10w60. So i have no reason to think the thinner oil was the issue at all
I think the issue is more with how the previous owner(s) treated the car, not necessariliy the weight of the oil. There was one member in Malaysia, that ran 10w-60, and had a failure. His example is only a single data point, but it never gets cold in Malaysia.

It's almost immaterial how we treat the car. We can extend the life of a poor s85 by following hyper sensitive maintenance, but if the damage was done (by a naive previous owner) by following BMW's CBS or factory maintenance, the damage was done.

Nothing short of replacement (of your rod bearings or engine) can un-do the damage.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think the issue is more with how the previous owner(s) treated the car, not necessariliy the weight of the oil. There was one member in Malaysia, that ran 10w-60, and had a failure. His example is only a single data point, but it never gets cold in Malaysia.

It's almost immaterial how we treat the car. We can extend the life of a poor s85 by following hyper sensitive maintenance, but if the damage was done (by a naive previous owner) by following BMW's CBS or factory maintenance, the damage was done.

Nothing short of replacement (of your rod bearings or engine) can un-do the damage.
well like i said the previous owner had like 4 oil changes documented in 27k miles and i doubt he was harder on the car then i have been but according to troy i have been to nice lol

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
Probably one of the lowest miles I have seen with that much wear on the bearings.

I also don't buy into the myth of using a different oil than what is noted in the manual, I have warmed my car up before getting on it aggressively and I did not change my bearings till 94k miles so it's not all about the oil.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Probably one of the lowest miles I have seen with that much wear on the bearings.

I also don't buy into the myth of using a different oil than what is noted in the manual, I have warmed my car up before getting on it aggressively and I did not change my bearings till 94k miles so it's not all about the oil.
Yeah, that's what gets me. That's a lot of wear for 60k miles. A LOT.

Could it be the thinner oil, maybe. Could it be the previous owner revved to 8k right out the gate, maybe.

·
Registered
DinanS2+ e60m5 6MT, s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,269 Posts
well like i said the previous owner had like 4 oil changes documented in 27k miles and i doubt he was harder on the car then i have been but according to troy i have been to nice lol
Agreed...but if the PO was harder on the car during startup, oil changes every 100 miles is not going to do the next owner any justice. The PO could have been harder on the car in the first mile on start up, than you -- after the proper warm up.

4 oil changes in 27,000 miles is a short interval, which could also mean, the PO may have only commuted short distances, which never allowed the s85 to come up to operating temps, etc...it's all speculation, that's for sure!

And I think it's awesome that you're addressing your bearings before you sold your s85. Too many s85s are being bought by new owners as someone else's dirty laundry.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts