BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This just happened Sat. Red cog appears in the OBC screen but yellow cog is in iDrive. I can still change gears and drive but it's very jerky. Once in gear, as I slowly depress the gas pedal, the rpms will climb but the car doesn't move until about 3K rpm and it'll lurch forward so I'd have to feather it to keep it smooth. When I upshift, the rpm will drop even though I'm still on the gas and then it'll slowly pick up.

About six months ago, I had swapped in a used SMG pump from a tranny I had bought from Troy last year when I bought the replacement engine that's supposed to have only 17K miles on it. Before and even after the swap, I was having issues with juddering when the car is in 2nd gear at very low speeds so wondering if it's the clutch. Current unit has about 46K miles on it.

Having the car towed today to a local shop but just curious if anyone has any guesses on what could be happening.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
i had some similar issues but after replacing the clutch, flywheel, throwout bearing, etc the problem still persisted....ended up needing a clutch position sensor and that finally fixed the problem (after wasting about 3k lol)

good luck with finding the solution

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
I know we have discussed this already Tony but I hope it's nothing major. Get them codes read and go from there.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Possibilities are that the clutch position sensor may have failed which isn't too much $ or of course the clutch could be worn and needing replacement which would of course be much more $. Hoping that the transmission is still ok. I have heard that if you replace the clutch and flywheel also replace the rear main seal.

Brad

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went to start the car just now and the fault didn't appear. Took it for a spin around the block and it came back; alternating from yellow to red cogs in both the OBC and iDrive screens. Calling AAA now.

·
Registered
DinanS2+ e60m5 6MT, s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,268 Posts
Sorry to hear your troubles Tony...hopefully it's nothing too serious. Hang in there...

Reactions: EuroCarFan

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The shop said code says transmission position sensor (he said transmission not clutch so are they one and the same?), but he thinks it's the whole clutch as he's seen this happened before where the car is jerky and studders and it's usually the clutch. He's going to drop the tranny tomorrow to check the clutch.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
What codes is it throwing?

How many miles on clutch? Probably not the pump itself.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
The shop said code says transmission position sensor (he said transmission not clutch so are they one and the same?), but he thinks it's the whole clutch as he's seen this happened before where the car is jerky and studders and it's usually the clutch. He's going to drop the tranny tomorrow to check the clutch.
510D and 510E are the code that would indicate the PLCD.

External o-ring leakage on the Clutch Valve cartridge will cause that clutch feeling you describe as well as a 4FA0 due to internal leakage of of slave cylinder pressure and the SMG module constantly hunts for the right clutch valve position trying to hold the clutch steady.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Bummer Tony. Sorry to hear man. Hope it's nothing too serious. Keep us posted man and stay strong.

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just sent him a message asking for the codes. The clutch has about 46K miles on it.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Can a brutha get a break?!

Sorry to hear of the current situation, Tony. Hoping things aren't as major as it seems.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Good old SMG clutch woes

It'll all workout.. let's hope it doesn't leave too big a dent in your wallet.

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good old SMG clutch woes

It'll all workout.. let's hope it doesn't leave too big a dent in your wallet.
My wallet was already completely dented with the engine replacement last year. Anymore dents and it'll be like a black hole just collapsing in on itself. :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Tony I just had the same issue. The PLCD has solved the issue for me at the moment. It is about a $400 part plus install. The stealer wanted to change the clutch which they said is a $2,500 job. Others quoted similar and some were more. Just got the car back yesterday. After they reset the adaptations the SMG is much smoother. Smoother then I have ever felt. Only about 4k miles though in 8 months of M5 goodness.

Brad

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
510D and 510E are the code that would indicate the PLCD.

External o-ring leakage on the Clutch Valve cartridge will cause that clutch feeling you describe as well as a 4FA0 due to internal leakage of of slave cylinder pressure and the SMG module constantly hunts for the right clutch valve position trying to hold the clutch steady.
Who needs a computer when we have you? :)

These are the exact same codes pulled by my shop. He doesn't think it's the slave cylinder though. Still waiting for him to drop the tranny to look at everything.

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tony I just had the same issue. The PLCD has solved the issue for me at the moment. It is about a $400 part plus install. The stealer wanted to change the clutch which they said is a $2,500 job. Others quoted similar and some were more. Just got the car back yesterday. After they reset the adaptations the SMG is much smoother. Smoother then I have ever felt. Only about 4k miles though in 8 months of M5 goodness.

Brad
I'm hoping it's just the PLCD as well. Thanks for the info Brad and hope that's a permanent fix to your problem so you can have many more years of M5 enjoyment. :)

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
This has to be frustrating for you with all these issues. Not sure how I can help considering the complexities of these cars. I'm sure you will find a solution soon Tony.

Dan

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah and I'm getting a lot of grief from the wife to get rid of the car. :(

And coincidentally, she just bought a motorcycle and brought it home the day my car died so I parked it outside and her bike is taking my spot in the garage. LOL!

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Who needs a computer when we have you? :)

These are the exact same codes pulled by my shop. He doesn't think it's the slave cylinder though. Still waiting for him to drop the tranny to look at everything.
:biggrinbounce:

If it's just the PLCD, why drop the transmission out? Seems like extra labor. 510D and 510E can only result from a bad PLCD which can be replaced without dropping the whole thing. 4FA0 is caused by the other two codes.

So far, I haven't figured a way to nail down bad clutch control valves. I think random 4FA0s are a sign, but no guarantee.

Good luck man!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts