BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentleman,

I'm proud to say that my beast recently joined the big leagues with the addition of a new ESS VT1-560 Supercharger Kit! I'll continually update this thread with new developments and additions but I did want to provide some feedback for those looking to purchase the kit, as well as provide feedback that I haven't necessarily seen yet.

I've had the kit for 300 miles now, breaking in the new LUK clutch and SC at the same time. Before dyno was taken the day of the install. After dyno will resume on Wednesday morning, 9AM PST. Another E39 M5 owner, with no other mods besides the SC dynoed 470whp there, so with my additions I'm hoping for close to 500whp. That will be TBD on Wednesday. Wish me luck :)

Power:

Butt dyno suggest heavy addition of power throughout the powerband. The "wifey" test concluded that the car felt lighter, and that she feels like her neck is going to break with each acceleration and shift. Actual WHP will be verified on Wednesday at 9AM PST. I haven't been able to push the car through the gears (yet) due to the clutch break-in period, but normal acceleration is improved, and moderate acceleration shows improvement. Basically, feels like the car shed 2000lbs of weight. More to come later this week.

Fitment:

As you can see from some of the photos, fitment is OEM quality. For those who haven't seen an E39 M5 engine bay, they've told me that it looks completely stock. I've even had some comments such as "what did you add? I don't see anything..." Very tasteful beastly addition to the bay, although, I wish there was a plate of some sort to block the emptiness of the driver-side, where the intake box used to be. I might explore this as a future project.

Interior Engine Sound:

Little to no change. You hear the slightest whistle at all RPM levels from idle to redline, however, you have to really look for it. With the windows up and radio on moderate level, the SC is completely silent. Not sure if I like this or not :hihi:. The stock BOV is set up to recycle back into the system as opposed to releasing into the atmosphere, so it is almost nonexistent in terms of sound also.

Exterior Engine Sound:

I have Supersprint Headers, Magnaflow Resonators, and Muffler Delete, and after SC install, the exhaust tone remains the same. Did not get any louder, did not get any deeper, aka no change. This came as a surprise to me, but it was also verified by the shop through several dB tests to confirm our ears weren't just getting old. Outside, you can hear the SC much better. Moreso, with the engine bay open.

Cold/Warm Idle:

Car idles exactly like stock. No change in idle in both cold start-up and warm start-up conditions.

Additional Options with Tune:

It is not recommended to up the rev limiter according to ESS, so if you've had this option in the past do not think you'll have this again with the new ESS SC tune. Sport memory is an option, and must be requested at purchase. I learned this the hard way, but Roman and the team helped through email and it is now resolved.

MPG:

Too early to tell, but it seems as though under normal driving conditions the gas mileage remains marginally the same. In the 300 miles I've put on the car thus far, let's just say I didn't see any dramatic decrease in MPG or miles per tank for that matter. More to come long term.

Daily Driveability:

No change in the daily driving behaviors with the SC installed. There is definitely more pep to your step driving between gears and as mentioned earlier, the car does feel "lighter." But in terms of stop and go traffic and such, all behaviors remain the same as pre-supercharger.

Pre-Install Maintenance:

As recommended by those who came before me, I've replaced all necessary cooling, fuel, oils, etc. in association with the install, partly because I am at 103k miles but mostly for preventative measures. Small parts list included: engine/diff/tranny oils, fuel pump, water pump + thermostat, coolant, fuel filter, CPS, clutch, spark plugs...

That's all I can think of at the moment. I'll continue to post my feedback as I go but I think this is a good start. Feel free and ask questions you may have and I can help answer them best I can.

Cheers!

John

Attachments

·
Banned
3,793 Posts
May I be the first one to say congrats on something I've been on the fence for a while now. Some say SC some say go out all NA, and part of me wants a sc, like large part of me, lol.

Going SC really saves you the money considering all NA power is very costly compared to a SC kit.

Have you done any preventative to keep boost in, meaning made sure no boost leaks and such, mainly around the plenum cover?

What boost are you running and did you address the motor, mainly crank?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: Kelster and M55555

·
Registered
222 Posts
I agree with Paul. SC will definitely give you the most bang for your buck and it is something that I would LOVE to eventually do. However, any pressure boost in an engine puts extra stress on gaskets, seals and mostly the bottom end. If you drive it hard occasionally it should not be a problem . But who am I kidding, 500 RWHP is very addictive. Congrats, enjoy, and keep us posted on life after supercharging. :cheers:

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Congratulations!:cheers:

Reactions: M55555

·
Registered
176 Posts
thanks very much for your impressions! Glad you're enjoying it. Please keep us updated, as I have been playing around with the idea of going F/I too.

·
Registered
12,892 Posts
Welcome to the club! Shedding 2000 lbs is certainly one way to describe the feeling!!

I noted that you were able to keep the intensive washer. I had to remove mine with the VT550 (original) kit. I think it was for the realignment of the ABS housing, although I would have to look. I wonder what was done differently with VT 560?

Depending on tuning you should be right around the 500 rwhp mark, although best number will be the change from pre and post SC install on the same dyno. With headers already accounted for, I would guess 100-120 rwhp gain.

Enjoy!!

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dyno day! Please excuse cell phone photo quality...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dyno results in. Taken just before install, and 400 miles after install, at same shop/same dyno.

Mods: ESS VT1-560, ESS Tune, Supersprint Headers, Muffler Delete

Before:
Max Torque: 319.02
Max Power: 345.10

After:
Max Torque: 409.23
Max Power: 500.76

+/- Difference:
Max Torque: +90.21
Max Power: +155.66

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome to the club! Shedding 2000 lbs is certainly one way to describe the feeling!!

I noted that you were able to keep the intensive washer. I had to remove mine with the VT550 (original) kit. I think it was for the realignment of the ABS housing, although I would have to look. I wonder what was done differently with VT 560?

Depending on tuning you should be right around the 500 rwhp mark, although best number will be the change from pre and post SC install on the same dyno. With headers already accounted for, I would guess 100-120 rwhp gain.

Enjoy!!

Regards,
Jerry
Good hearing from you Jerry!

The shop said the same thing, that they typically remove the tank but it fit this time. We didn't put too much thought into it thereafter :hihi:

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Congrats! I bet you're pleased with those numbers.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Was the 319/344 with SS headers? If so, do you have a bone stock dyno?

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd have to look through my HD for the stock dyno, since it was many years ago. The 344 does seem rather low when comparing against average figures. I'm going to blame it on the 98F temperature inside the bay that day :dunno:

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Banned
3,793 Posts

I think it's stock as my car put down 354 and something like 340 TQ.

I'm wondering the same. Was this dyno jet, or mustang? 93 octane tune and what were the intake temps?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think it's stock as my car put down 354 and something like 340 TQ.

I'm wondering the same. Was this dyno jet, or mustang? 93 octane tune and what were the intake temps?
Dynojet. 91 octane tune.

·
Banned
3,793 Posts
Reactions: M55555 and gsfent

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Banned
3,793 Posts