BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

We are happy to announce our latest full scale in-house build.

Mike is a long time customer and friend who recently joined both the JleviSW family and the ///M fold. We are simply overjoyed to have him as a member of our team, and as such, we have set about on a project to transform his E60 M5 into something we are proud to park in our parking lot every day.

Our goal with this build is not simply to create a menacing M5, but also to maintain the drivability and daily use of this vehicle.

The E60 M5 was Mike's vehicle of choice due to its incredible power delivery. Though Mike initially intended to wind up with an E46 M3, he found that the allure of the 5 liter V10 of the E60 M5 was simply too great. Couple this with the fact the he is able to transport people (and, more importantly, his golf clubs), and you can see why Mike surprised us with an E60 M5.

Throughout the process of building this vehicle, we will adhere to a couple important principles:
  • The vehicle will look, perform, and feel better than original
  • Minimal (if any) compromise from the driver will be tolerated
  • The vehicle will remain functional and utilitarian as it was designed to be

We hope you'll join us and follow along as the ///Marauder 5 comes to life.

JL

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Mike, the latest member of the JleviSW family, searched long and hard to find this beautiful 06 E60 M5, Sapphire Black on Black, SMG with every option. Here's a quick photo of how it arrived to us.

For those of you who like a good love story:

Mike said:
The story begins (as you know) with my incurable desire to own a BMW. Let's face it....they're fantastic. After driving an SUV for 2 years, on my way to work one day I thought to myself, "I'm young.....why in the hell am I driving this huge soccer mom mobile with a DVD player in the back when I have no kids and there's nothing in here except for me, my golf clubs, and 3 pairs of shoes??" It was time to sack up and get the ///M I had always wanted. I had always loved the E46 M3, and still think it is a timeless body style so my first logical step was to search for an M3 I could enjoy. They were in my price range, and it seemed like a no brainer to buy the car I'd wanted since I was 14, but out of curiosity I decided to check for M5's just to see what was out there. As I expected all of the E60 M5's were about $10,000 out of my price range......except for one. I had found an E46 M3 that fit my eye so I took it for a test drive, and since I'd driven them before I pretty much knew what I was in store for. Fantastic drive, loved the power, but I just couldn't shake the thought of this M5. (Even though the salesman tried REALLY hard to get me to.) I told the salesman that I loved the M3 but I had to drive the M5 just to see the difference....best decision I ever made.

I walked into the dealership and saw this PERFECT black on black M5, fully loaded, and as soon as I sat in it I felt in love. The interior was updated complete with iDrive, and the little bit of extra room to stretch my legs made all the difference. Then I got it on the road...... The simplest way to put it was that the M5 made the M3 feel, and look, like a golf cart. TONS more power, WAY more responsive, and I left the dealership simultaneously telling the M3 salesman that I was no longer interested, and telling the M5 dealer that I would be back within the week with a check. LONGEST couple days of my life while I moved money around to get the funding for the car. I never felt better about myself than when I drove my M5 off the lot and changed lanes on the freeway for the first time. I was used to a lumbering topsy turvy SUV and this thing FLOATED across the lane at 90 mph like nothing happened. I knew then and there I would be happy for a long.....LONG time.

·
Registered
740 Posts
subscribed! :biggrinbounce:

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Subbed here :)

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
This is wrong!:grrrr: You shouldn't tease us like this! :nono:
You know we want to see it done asap!:D

·
Registered
353 Posts
That is bound to be super cool, but Marauder? I mean, its been a few years since the Mercury, but still... pretty fresh in the minds of motorheads. A tough-guy Crown Vic is not a mental image I'd like to be mashing up with an M5.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
With this vehicle we want to go with a "dark" motif - something black and beautiful, but angry and menacing. It is, after all, an M5, and it should have a presence about it that causes the tail of every AMG vehicle to creep down behind it's rear axle.

The first step was to get rid of any visible chrome on the vehicle. This meant removing the front kidney grilles and replacing them with Matte Black ones. The front and rear roundels were also swapped to full black and white replacement roundels, to complete the look.

The matte black kidney grills maintain the look and feel of a BMW, but have the stealthy look of an F-117 Nighthawk fighter jet. This one modification adds tremendously to the visual appeal and intimidation factor of the vehicle, as you can see.

The front grille replacements then necessitated matching matte black side gills, though we opted to maintain the ///M logo for a little peak of something colorful in the sea of black.

You'll also notice the WeissLicht LED Side lenses. Mike knew he had to get rid of the amber bulb peeking through the housing, and we suggested he go with Smoke so that the housing wouldn't stand out against the rest of the car. It was a plug and play upgrade that turned out beautifully.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Astute observers will also notice that grilles and roundels were not the only upgrades made to this ///M5.

A set of Avant Garde M310 wheels in beautiful Matte Black were added. The wheels are 19x8.5 with an ET15 Offset up front, and 19x9.5 with an ET22 Offset in the back. This resulted in a wheel setup that fit flush and looked great, but didn't break the bank.

The tires we chose were Hankook Ventus V12 EVO, 255/40/19 and 285/35/19. The tires look meaty and convey the power and torque that this V10 supersaloon puts down.

Unfortunately, right as the black look was coming together, Mike was pulled over for having limo tint (5%) up front. He removed the tint to get the ticket paid off, but fear not... it will go back on before show season.

Stay tuned for the next round of updates. The best is yet to come. I'll leave you with some photos of the car as it sits now.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Not feeling it at all currently

·
Registered
90 Posts
I dont care about the tyres (not driving it) but those wheels are pretty low rent.
+1 for those povo 19" rims. (stockers painted black would look better)

8.5" @ ET+15 on the front is 3 mm "narrower" than stock. So "flush" it surely aint. (room for at least a 12mm spacer).

Bring it or bin it

1 - 20 of 101 Posts