BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gents,

Recieved Jim Conforti chip today. Nervous about fitting it. I've had the ECM open, but not been confident enough to split the twin boards. The instructions say you have to apply pressure to upper board whilst twisting small screw driver in main connector housing. Sounds dodgy to me. Any advice??

Cheers,

Sean.

PS had alloys back from Lap Tab UK today. Not perfect but not bad. £188 for actual refurbishment, further £47 for strip and refit. Imperfections are due to poor prep.

PPS My alloys are 17". 18" ers are quite a bit more.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Hi Sean,

Take a quick look at it and you'll see what you need to do. 3 hands would be very useful for this, but yes, you do need to apply a little pressure to the upper board while pressing in the little tab in the top of the main connector, otherwise they just wont come apart

Cheers

John

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Done

Its not as bad as it sounds. Ive done it three times. Once on an E31 and twice on E34s.
Cheers,

You were right it was OK. Bit nerve racking playing with digital bits though.

Chip has noticeabley improved torque at 3500 RPM. Perhaps a bit smoother through meat of power band.

I have dyno booked for 28th so will do back to back and publish results.

Sean.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
data

Great! Im excited to see how she did.

RPM Std Power Std Torque Mod Power Mod Torque
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=12 width=470 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=bottom width="20%" height=0>2,500.0

</TD><TD vAlign=bottom width="20%" height=0>87.7

</TD><TD vAlign=bottom width="20%" height=0>184.2

</TD><TD vAlign=bottom width="20%" height=0>85.0

</TD><TD vAlign=bottom width="20%" height=0>178.6

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom width="20%" height=0>3,000.0

</TD><TD vAlign=bottom width="20%" height=0>105.6

</TD><TD vAlign=bottom width="20%" height=0>184.9

</TD><TD vAlign=bottom width="20%" height=0>109.0

</TD><TD vAlign=bottom width="20%" height=0>190.8

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom width="20%" height=0>3,500.0

</TD><TD vAlign=bottom width="20%" height=0>118.0

</TD><TD vAlign=bottom width="20%" height=0>177.1

</TD><TD vAlign=bottom width="20%" height=0>121.0

</TD><TD vAlign=bottom width="20%" height=0>181.6

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom width="20%" height=0>4,000.0

</TD><TD vAlign=bottom width="20%" height=0>160.9

</TD><TD vAlign=bottom width="20%" height=0>211.3

</TD><TD vAlign=bottom width="20%" height=0>163.0

</TD><TD vAlign=bottom width="20%" height=0>214.0

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom width="20%" height=0>4,500.0

</TD><TD vAlign=bottom width="20%" height=0>197.0

</TD><TD vAlign=bottom width="20%" height=0>229.9

</TD><TD vAlign=bottom width="20%" height=0>205.0

</TD><TD vAlign=bottom width="20%" height=0>239.3

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom width="20%" height=0>5,000.0

</TD><TD vAlign=bottom width="20%" height=0>217.2

</TD><TD vAlign=bottom width="20%" height=0>228.1

</TD><TD vAlign=bottom width="20%" height=0>223.0

</TD><TD vAlign=bottom width="20%" height=0>234.2

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom width="20%" height=0>5,500.0

</TD><TD vAlign=bottom width="20%" height=0>235.8

</TD><TD vAlign=bottom width="20%" height=0>225.2

</TD><TD vAlign=bottom width="20%" height=0>248.0

</TD><TD vAlign=bottom width="20%" height=0>236.8

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom width="20%" height=0>6,000.0

</TD><TD vAlign=bottom width="20%" height=0>249.9

</TD><TD vAlign=bottom width="20%" height=0>218.7

</TD><TD vAlign=bottom width="20%" height=0>259.0

</TD><TD vAlign=bottom width="20%" height=0>226.7

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom width="20%" height=0>6,500.0

</TD><TD vAlign=bottom width="20%" height=0>263.0

</TD><TD vAlign=bottom width="20%" height=0>212.5

</TD><TD vAlign=bottom width="20%" height=0>267.0

</TD><TD vAlign=bottom width="20%" height=0>215.7

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom width="20%" height=0>7,000.0

</TD><TD vAlign=bottom width="20%" height=0>246.6

</TD><TD vAlign=bottom width="20%" height=0>185.0

</TD><TD vAlign=bottom width="20%" height=0>248.0

</TD><TD vAlign=bottom width="20%" height=0>186.1

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​

Good worthwile gains from 4500 to 7000. Dyno only logged every 500 rpm. Pretty sure I would have cracked 270 BHP at 6750 RPM which is not bad at wheel for 150K Mile car. :).

·
Registered
526 Posts
Thats a huge difference for just inserting a chip.

Where did you get the chip and how much did it cost?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Nice results.

My engine started out making 320 bhp and I now have it upto 340 bhp and 310 lb.ft torque.

These engines respond well to mild and responsible tuning.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Why are people sceptical of the figures produced by a dyno?
Because they are usually 'calculated' and not measured directly. Depending what 'correction factor' the operator puts into the machine, he can make his own-brand POS chip appear to give 20bhp more than standard by tweaking the computer slightly.

You should only use the wheel HP/torque to judge and improvements, as this is directly measured - but again the system will have a correction factor built in for wear & calibration purposes which could also be fudged.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Turner Motorsport Chip

Thats a huge difference for just inserting a chip.

Where did you get the chip and how much did it cost?
Chip is from Turner Motorsport and cost $250 (£125). It also cost £36 in import duty which I wasn't aware of when I bought it.

Web site claimed gains of 39 BHP @ 7000 RPM and 38 lbft @ 3500. Neither of these were even nearly realised on the Dyno.

However I changed back from the stock chip this morning and can definetely tell the difference. Was it worth it....... probably.

On the subject of dynos; Having built an inertia rolling road for motorcycles I would agree that the figures need to be treated with caution. It is all too easy for the unsrupulous to pull the wool over the customers eyes. However this was a genuine independant back to back within 20 mins of each other and I think the figures are probably about right.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Dyno's, if used honesty and properly, will give realistic before and after figures if an upgrade like a chip has been carried out.

Unfortunately there are too many dyno operators who falsify the figures on dyno's which use run down losses to calculate flywheel figures.

The best way is to only take into consideration the wheel figure or in the case of the popular dyno dynamics dyno's any figure is acceptable as these machines do not use run down losses.

The only thing you have to watch out for is foul play when it comes to the intake temperatures. This is easily highlighted from the graphs.

While dyno's are not difficult to trick, it is also easy to catch out a dodgy graph and foul play.

With regards to power increase figures on an S38, + 19-20 bhp is the maximum I have ever seen and this whilst making live changes on a dyno by adjusting igntion timing and fuel. This is taking an S38B38 to it's absolute limits!

·
Registered
115 Posts
With regards to power increase figures on an S38, + 19-20 bhp is the maximum I have ever seen and this whilst making live changes on a dyno by adjusting igntion timing and fuel. This is taking an S38B38 to it's absolute limits!
How do you think how much can i get on S38B38 with 280 Schricks and full SS - properly tuned ?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Hi,

firstly it seems that the Schrick items have a major flaw with them as per Farrell's findings.

Until this is resolved by Schrick I would not recommend going with them.

There is no evidence that after market exhausts actually add power or if deCAT's have any positive effect. I have searched and searched and I have yet to find any believeable dyno graphs.

Longer duratation and/or high lift cams will give a positive effect in outright power but what you will always find is that there is a power/torque loss at lower rpm's.

If your driving style is such that you stay in the higher rpm's then it's all good.

If your driving style is such that you do stay in the low and mid rpm's most of the time then you'll actually have a slower car.

Camshafts require extremely careful tuning, it's not just a case of putting an aftermarket chip in. Factor in atleast £600 for this.

Before you go down this route just bare in mind that you will sacrifice power in one area for another.

How much 'peak power' your engine gives all depends on what condition it's in.

I would hope for an additional + 30 bhp with proper tuning in peak power and a probably loss of atleast 10-20 Nm torque at low rpms. This is just a rough guide based on previous work carried out on other M engines. I don't know if the same thing will happen on an S38.

Thanks
Sal

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi,

firstly it seems that the Schrick items have a major flaw with them as per Farrell's findings.

Until this is resolved by Schrick I would not recommend going with them.

There is no evidence that after market exhausts actually add power or if deCAT's have any positive effect. I have searched and searched and I have yet to find any believeable dyno graphs.

Longer duratation and/or high lift cams will give a positive effect in outright power but what you will always find is that there is a power/torque loss at lower rpm's.

If your driving style is such that you stay in the higher rpm's then it's all good.

If your driving style is such that you do stay in the low and mid rpm's most of the time then you'll actually have a slower car.

Camshafts require extremely careful tuning, it's not just a case of putting an aftermarket chip in. Factor in atleast £600 for this.

Before you go down this route just bare in mind that you will sacrifice power in one area for another.

How much 'peak power' your engine gives all depends on what condition it's in.

I would hope for an additional + 30 bhp with proper tuning in peak power and a probably loss of atleast 10-20 Nm torque at low rpms. This is just a rough guide based on previous work carried out on other M engines. I don't know if the same thing will happen on an S38.

Thanks
Sal
Schricks and UNICHIP piggyback were installed by previous owner (helo Jahangeer :cool: )
Clearances were done in 2007.
I've got UNICHIP software and going to visit dyno.
3.6 flywheel was installed + I'm going to install 6spd gearbox with shorter differential (3.46 or 3.64)
I'll post results here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts