BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,12529-1649122,00.html

"In the last five miles of my journey I discovered that deep beneath the layers of utter and complete electronic nonsense, and the rather ugly body, there’s one truly amazing car.

Just when I was thinking that BMW had made yet another car for yet another software consultant, it did something I really wasn’t expecting.

It became a full-on M5. And praise doesn’t come higher than that."

·
Registered
680 Posts
sydl said:
It became a full-on M5. And praise doesn’t come higher than that."
Anyone else than me who thinks that line there is really, really cool!?
It's not "It's the best saloon in the world" or "it's faster than a sportscar bla bla bla", it's just -

it became a full-on M5. And praise doesn’t come higher than that.

LOVE IT! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Jezza is such a right royal twit... :haha: He's as entertaining as a rat up your trousers to watch or read (now where have i heard that saying before...), great value... but i'd never take any of his reviews very seriously... i leave that to Tiff.

For a funny and entertaining review of his, try and find his review of the Vauxhall Monaro VXR (our HSV GTO) Great oversteering sideways action on a beach in a big RWD V8 coupe...

·
Registered
646 Posts
Personally i like Clarkson - he brings wit to his pieces and of course appears to be brutally honest whether the car is good or bad. Put it this way, i find that a tad more useful than Needell or Vicki B-H twatting the car sideways for no logical reason.

Funnily enough the first time i heard of Clarkson was a piece he wrote in a mag in 1986/87, think it was Performance Car or Fast Lane, anyway it was a review of the original (E28?) M5 - i can recall something like 'out for a jaunt and having some smart-arse copyrighter in a Porsche 924 with blonde bint on the passenger seat trying to demonstate how fast his Porker was by overtaking the buffoon in the square-rigged BM ahead' - and leaving the guy in his wake. God was that really almost 20 years ago!!

Cheers,
David.

·
Registered
68 Posts
" M5 " has become what " Cadillac " was 50 years ago in terms of a general descripter . Back then " it's the Cadillac of washing machines ( or watches )" was a compliment . Now " it's the M5 of laptop computers ", etc. confers the same sense of setting the leading edge . kinggf

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Heh, Clarkson is always entertaining to read, but I've noticed that his reviews of cars are often times contradictory, particularly when he is called upon to give his impressions of a car that he has already reviewed in comparison to a car he is currently reviewing.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I simply cannot take anything this spastic has to say seriously.

He has one hell of an over inflated ego and seems to rate himself as some kind of presenter / tv / tosspot.. take ya pick and assumes people give a flying **** what he has to say.

He should stick to comedy and at least people would throw rotten fruit at him.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Clarkson is unknown here in the US except to those who have nothing better to do than stand around at the chain bookstores in the exurbs reading car magazines . His writing reminds me of Dan Neil of the LA Times, another frustrated wannabe essayist : 15 paragraphs of comments about life, 5 paragraphs vaguely related to matters regarding autodom in each article. He ( Dan ) got the Pulitzer Prize for automotive writing because... " wink,wink " to the judging commitee of literary types ... he's really one of " them ". :hihi:

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
"It’s warm and practical and goes with anything but what it says most of all is I Have No Imagination." :confused2

I did also have problems adjusting radiochannels. Other than that it was a bit strange review.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Clarkson is by far my favorite automotive host. I love watching him on TOP GEAR, but the BBC has put an end to the website I download from, so no TOP GEAR for me.

·
Registered
200 Posts
bm5kw said:
Clarkson is unknown here in the US except to those who have nothing better to do than stand around at the chain bookstores in the exurbs reading car magazines .

So True. Barnes and Nobles hour after hour reading that stuff.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Am I the only one sick of alleged automotive experts not bothering to learn a car's controls before driving it for purposes of a published report or, even worse, before writing the report itself? The point of a magazine road test is to inform the reader of what it would be like to own the car for several years, not to rent it. If a writer takes the time to read the manual and use the controls before mashing the gas pedal, I am all ears. But I have no use for a writer complaining about features that he has not bothered to learn.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I find Clarkson only somewhat entertaining as a TV show presenter when he tries to be comedic but I do not take his "reviews" on board at all. One of his personal cars is the Benz SL55 AMG, which I find an extremely contradictory choice considering many of things he said about the M5, and other cars being "detached" and over loaded with technology etc. The main reason I think why the shows are popluar is because of how he presents the show for TV ratings, rather than how you or I might review a car.

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is the biggest piece of automotive garbage ever written...well among the biggest. It's an unfinished one-sided piece. Clark spends most of the time complaining about all the gadgets and proves that he never looked at the front page of the manual.

I do agree with him that there are a lot of stupid unintuitive features in the car. But complaining 90% of the article about them is just plain childish. In addition, the stuff he said about the car is almost all true for the regular 5 series. Ok, he does not like the nav, or iDrive....tell us something new. I want a review of the new features of the M5, not something that I heard a million times.

Once he finally hits the pedal and starts to have fun, he abrutly concludes with "It became a full-on M5". Did it ever cross his mind to describe what a "full-on M5" is? He completely fails to place the car in perspective, to get the reader to feel the car.

He seems to have written this article on a piece of toilet paper while taking a crap.

His TV shows are entertaining...but they are not car reviews by any stretch of the imagination. He is just as bad as any freelance automotive journalist writting for C&D or MotorTrend.

.Mdrei

·
Registered
992 Posts
I hate him.

If I was in London and I saw him on the street, I would punch him in the nose.

I don't like his "entertainment" reviews.

Give me what you really think and feel. Tiff's review was good. He said he heart was leaping out of his chest...for a former race car driver to say that, I know the car stirs the soul...it touches you...

As much as I want one, my wife and I love the E39 styling. I don't like the Bangle styling. Too much "Baby Got Back" for me.

Who knows...maybe I will win one...and then I won't care.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts