61 - 80 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #61

·
Registered
4 Posts
This should be interesting. OP I hope you've got an airtight case here, which it doesn't sound like you do from my initial read. Jed has done work for hundreds of members here with no complaints that I can remember to include custom headers that sell for more than your set of wheels. Hopefully this gets resolved quickly and fairly.

Jeds reputation is waaaay more valuable to him than a $1,500 job. I had the pleasure of doing business with him over the years and on many projects. The man is HONEST, detail oriented, reasonable, humble, and wise.
I am sure many other members on this board share the same opinion.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #63 (Edited)
Our 540 was sanded to bare metal and resprayed. 2 months after I did a full detail and polish on the entire car.

The style 65’s were Powdercoated,polished and waxed with Nu-finish.

Zero issues with either.

How would spray on paint on the car be stronger more durable than electrostatically applied Powdercoating that is baked and melted onto the surface?

C82EB860-16F2-4707-A588-B563D7361025.png
7163E54A-2E01-4AAD-AD09-F7448C7FF657.png
62D78D62-9D54-4A05-A0B6-E21AF3F7C6B1.png
37E9D5F1-47F5-43B3-B67A-4C6F22367DD2.png
7DB78A1C-C8F1-4983-8E45-B5F89776A7EE.png

·
Registered
9 Posts
As a painter, I can appreciate the work that went into the red car.
I'm also a painter who doesn't like powder coat, although it has it's uses.
Flat finishes have micro porosity.
With no gloss coat to seal the surface, even powder has its limits.
When I started reading this thread, I thought the color coat was coming off the surface. Like poor adhesion.
Quit rubbing them and put some poly (nano or whatever)sealant on them.
I even posed this question to the powder coater next to me.
Semi gloss powder has micro porosity, and when I asked about burnishing, he told me to get a sample square and play with it.
I just might.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #66 (Edited)
Here’s the silver sample square that was used on lots of my parts.

When I use any wax or polish on this it only shines it up and doesn’t discolor it at all.

AFB2817C-8C43-455B-8583-A76240C67793.jpeg

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
As a painter, I can appreciate the work that went into the red car.
I'm also a painter who doesn't like powder coat, although it has it's uses.
Flat finishes have micro porosity.
With no gloss coat to seal the surface, even powder has its limits.
When I started reading this thread, I thought the color coat was coming off the surface. Like poor adhesion.
Quit rubbing them and put some poly (nano or whatever)sealant on them.
I even posed this question to the powder coater next to me.
Semi gloss powder has micro porosity, and when I asked about burnishing, he told me to get a sample square and play with it.
I just might.
Thanks!

Only Jed or the person that did the work can answer the question of what was used.

Jed told me he would get the “powder code” to me but never has.

Jed won’t fess-up as to who did the work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm close to tapping out on this, but I'll play one more round.
What is the code on that sample, and is it gloss or flat? Looks like gloss.
No amount of wax will make a flat finish "shine up".
Those sample chips are from the powder manufacturer and are billed as representative of said color.
I'm really trying to help as I paint all my own crap, and have no problems.

My first pic on M5BOARD. Some crappy, had been chromed wheels that once stripped were pitted. No polishing the lips on these.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Those sample chips are from the powder manufacturer and are billed as representative of said color.

My first pic on M5BOARD. Some crappy, had been chromed wheels that once stripped were pitted. No polishing the lips on these. View attachment 934324
Thanks for you input!

I’m not sure of the code for this silver.

I have had them do lots of parts with it.

I wasn’t trying to make my wheels shine I was just doing what I have done in the past loads of time with great results.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for you input!

I’m not sure of the code for this silver.

I wasn’t trying to make my wheels shine I was just doing what I have done in the past loads of time with great results.
And there we have the basis for your confusion.
The issue of some color transfer to the rag on a flat unsealed finish is normal. Stop rubbing on them and put some sealant on them and run them. They looked pretty good to me.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
This stuff is going fly off first 150 pull.

When you see the video and how lightly I rubbed on it you’ll have a different opinion.

This is another customers cap with the same prob.

Hopefully Silent will test his wheels and report in on the results.

SuperModels look great too until you get the make up off.

288496E1-FE46-4B7E-B3EF-EBEB11688D56.png

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Jeds reputation is waaaay more valuable to him than a $1,500 job. I had the pleasure of doing business with him over the years and on many projects. The man is HONEST, detail oriented, reasonable, humble, and wise.
I am sure many other members on this board share the same opinion.
I have praised his work on headers and his Touring E39's, etc., to plenty of people here in Latvia, but Jed's response to Flyin-M5's Dinan wheel ranch wank FB comment post pretty much made me question everything. Lost interest in everything Jed. Totally pathetic and weak response to a relatively minor problem from someone (formerly) held at high regard. That was not resonable, humble or wise. That was personal threats and giant ego trip. Funny how it takes years to build reputation but only seconds to wreck it. A man's character truly shows when push comes to shove. I'm referring to the response shown below to Aubrey's public complaint about Jed.

SMH.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #73 (Edited)
Thanks for the input Terabass!

I had done the same in the past and thought Jed was the “go to” guy for this job.

All of this was an easy fix.

Make it a great weekend!

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #74

My first pic on M5BOARD. Some crappy, had been chromed wheels that once stripped were pitted. No polishing the lips on these. View attachment 934324
Thanks for your input.

I had a set of style 65 that had been chromed(I had them before I had a car for them to go on). They were super easy to clean and keep but then oxidation between the tire and rim/chrome caused them to start leaking. They had to be chemically stripped. I had them refinished locally and sold them(the quality of the wheel when redone wasn’t good enough for my Pride and Joy).

Im not sure if I stated but when I bought my Beyern 5 spoke Rapps they were polished with Mequires 205 and waxed with Nu-finish brand new fresh out of the box. I’ve repeated that process 8-10 times and they still look new with the exception of a couple small debris dings.

Snow in Dallas Texas this morning!

Make it a great weekend!

E960D461-4198-40BC-AFFC-22137E71C65F.png

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have praised his work on headers and his Touring E39's, etc., to plenty of people here in Latvia, but Jed's response to Flyin-M5's Dinan wheel ranch wank FB comment post pretty much made me question everything. Lost interest in everything Jed. Totally pathetic and weak response to a relatively minor problem from someone (formerly) held at high regard. That was not resonable, humble or wise. That was personal threats and giant ego trip. Funny how it takes years to build reputation but only seconds to wreck it. A man's character truly shows when push comes to shove. I'm referring to the response shown below to Aubrey's public complaint about Jed.

View attachment 934363

SMH.
I haven’t done business with him, but I knew of his headers. I agree with you 100%, that response doesn’t come off as someone who’s reasonable. I’m amazed so many others here find it acceptable to treat customers like that.

And really, if the finish is so delicate to be able to be wiped away using consumer products and minimal force, that really needs to be disclosed before hand. He said he could replicate the original Dinan finish, and if I were the customer, my expectation would have been that the finish hold up about as well as the original Dinan finish as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I haven’t done business with him, but I knew of his headers. I agree with you 100%, that response doesn’t come off as someone who’s reasonable. I’m amazed so many others here find it acceptable to treat customers like that.

And really, if the finish is so delicate to be able to be wiped away using consumer products and minimal force, that really needs to be disclosed before hand. He said he could replicate the original Dinan finish, and if I were the customer, my expectation would have been that the finish hold up about as well as the original Dinan finish as well.
Those people are called sheep, and they’re blind to inappropriate comments by the seller. It’s understandable for the seller to be irate if they feel their business is being unreasonably threatened, but that should never warrant the type of immature response (and follow up by other members) seen here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Here’s the video.

Keep in mind I don’t do video’s for a living so I was a little disorganized trying to run the GoPro with my phone and using the timer on my wife’s phone.

My thought was to put a strip of tape on the product that I was using,slice it down the middle,mark it with specific color sharpie so the two halves match up and also mark the area on the microfiber with the same sharpie.

The battery died on the GoPro at the end and my head was about to explode because of the results. I left the wheel on the table with all of the products in my garage for a few days while I thought about how to approach Jed.

All thoughts and comments welcomed.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Hm.

I have not posted on the M5board in years, but I feel I have to say something here.

1) With freshly painted surfaces, you should allow some time for proper curing.

2) Coating your wheels is a normal process and one that makes sense right after a refurbish, to help preserve the finish. It is also easier to coat a non-contaminated surface.

3) Considering it is a fresh refurb, I would not even polish it. Just gently and carefully wipe it down with a surface cleaner/panel wipe and apply protective coating (ceramic coating preferably).

4) What exactly are you trying to achieve using a product like NuFinish and rubbing it on the surface by hand for a couple of minutes?

If you are unhappy with the refurb, talk with the person who did it. This could have been so easily resolved with proper communication.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Im not going to take sides here but man that video! Who takes a freshly coated or painted surface and compounds it in the same spot for 2 mins? Whether its a good coating or not, nobody should do that in any circumstance.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Those people are called sheep, and they’re blind to inappropriate comments by the seller. It’s understandable for the seller to be irate if they feel their business is being unreasonably threatened, but that should never warrant the type of immature response (and follow up by other members) seen here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You might wanna correct yourself before name calling people you don’t know.

OP took an unsealed finish (no matter what grade or materials it’s made off) and began polishing it.

He was offered you make things right but OP refused and only wanted the fix to be done his way and saw what the seller had to say afterwards.

My wheels were done the same way. I didn’t polish anything. They were already ready just like the OP’s wheels were received.

You need to go and read the entire Facebook thread which I am not part of to get the back drop of the story.

61 - 80 of 111 Posts