BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Now you g
Thank you for the comments.

There are inaccuracies in most of his statements about my post on the FB page.

"If you are the typical frail M5board user" ....Why would you dis the members over here,you aren't in charge like the FB page.

Guys....sHaDy needs to go back to Egypt after the disrespect he is now spewing on ya'll.

I can't spell......WTF is this from you .....Third thead on Jan. 4 2020

Who's name did i misspell,did i get points off my homework?

Your bullying doesn't work on me.

I have not read those FB post that sHaDy supplied above can not confirm that those FB post are accurate and unaltered but thanks for them(we will bring yours to court and let the judge know you supplied them and point out any edits we find to the judge).

Name calling and disrespect towards me on a subject that is none of your business(unless it was your ez-bake kiddie oven that did the deed on these wheels then your'e all in and that whats up with the name calling out of you).

Is that why you are all worked up?

Why are you in our business?

I work for a giant company and we go out and look for customers that are having problems with our service and products and we are proactive with problem resolution.

Jed needs to grow a pair and step-up and address the issue.

$1200 makes this go away,otherwise ...it goes on until resolved.

One of my witness for the trial will be the sr.manager from a powder coat company that did more than 15m in business last year.
Now you go racial? You just summed up what you represent.

I think I am done responding to individual post. I’ll just post my recent experience with Jed.

Good luck with everything else.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
you didnt have to filter that pic to make it look like that meet was back in 1948! :p

·
Registered
3,731 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Would you polish a new car? Well maybe you would...
Detailers that do work for dealerships, will probably all chime in that they do a lot of new car detailing. They come with various small scratches and swirl marks when they arrive at the dealer. Even a new BMW in continental Europe will most likely get some form of detail treatment before sale, and definitely if it will stand in the showroom. Some of these cars come in unloaded, and if it is black or sensitive paint it will look like "WTF did you do with this new car?" Anyway, long story short new car polish is not uncommon.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Detailers that do work for dealerships, will probably all chime in that they do a lot of new car detailing. They come with various small scratches and swirl marks when they arrive at the dealer. Even a new BMW in continental Europe will most likely get some form of detail treatment before sale, and definitely if it will stand in the showroom. Some of these cars come in unloaded, and if it is black or sensitive paint it will look like "WTF did you do with this new car?" Anyway, long story short new car polish is not uncommon.
Had a feeling someone was going to mention this. Yes, not uncommon. However; it’s done by professionals who earn their living doing this and when the freakin paint is dry.

Recommended polish after paint is not few days or a week. It’s couple months to allow the clear coat to dry. Otherwise you gonna burn the clear coat. Like the body shop that repaired my SUV.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
im not taking anyone's side, but i had a full set of lightweight forged BBS wheels powdercoated here in SoCal for my E46 M3. The first thing i did before i put them on the car was apply wheel wax to make cleaning them faster/easier. so i understand why the OP did that initially. True, i wouldnt have used NuFinish, but if you dont know any better, its an easy mistake.

the real issue is....powdercoating is supposed to be one of the strongest finishes available in automotive applications. i would have wanted them redone if they peeled or rubbed off at all.....even within the first year. no matter what type of cleaner i put on there.

i owned a physical shop in LA serving the public so i know first hand how difficult it can be to deal with batsh!t crazy customers...so i feel for Jed....but i also feel for the OP.

the finish should be redone...if OP wont take that then simply move on and dont complain.
Thanks for the input.

Nice to hear from a shop owner!

Customers can and do get pretty crazy at times,I am not one of those.

"the real issue is....powdercoating is supposed to be one of the strongest finishes available in automotive applications. i would have wanted them redone if they peeled or rubbed off at all.....even within the first year. no matter what type of cleaner i put on there."

I agree 100% with the statement and I'm not new to powdercoating.

A list of things I have had powdercoated in the past include:

Keep in mind that parts have to be bare of anything like bearings,seals,bolts,brackets etc....basically need to be naked of anything before they are sandblasted/cleaned and teflon plugs installed into any threads, and any surface that needs to remain bare has to be taped with heat proof teflon tape.

Acura calipers and disc(the pc was then machined off the braking surface)
1992 Yamaha WR200 frame and swingarm, pipe heat shield
1997 Honda CR250 frame and swingarm
2000 Yamaha YZ250 frame and swingarm
1986 Kawasaki jetski engine plate and ride plate
2007 Honda CRF450 frame and swingarm and stand in white and in flat black we did the rims,hubs,upper and lower triple clamps,valve cover,left and right outer engine cases,pipe heat shield and a giant antique wrench(currently the bike has 130hours of ride time since the coating and it still looks great after all of the dirt,mud and sand its been ridden thru).
Square set of rear style 65's
2 sets of Dinan springs
Dinan e39 M5 rear swaybar
2 BMW e39 Eibach front swaybars
Pressure sprayer cabinet

All of these things were detailed,polished and waxed before using them and have very tough and durable finishes with no problems at all.

From Jed-"If you want shadow chrome on the center and polished lips, this means the rest of the wheel will be black, are you ok with that?"

From me- ...so the inner barrel (backsides) and saddle(inside where the air is in the tire)would be black powdercoat. The outer lip would be polished with front and sides of the spokes along with the center cap would be shadow chrome.

From Jed-"That is correct".

This was the contract between us.

Wheels were shipped and arrived safely with my return labels and center caps.

Then....

From Jed-Not good news on the wheels. Shadow chrome with polished lips cannot be done. The powder coat is too thick that it causes the coating to crack at the edge as the tape is peeled off. Second, the tape itself cannot survive the oven twice, can barely survive once. The silver paint has to be applied while the wheel is red hot from baking the base powdercoat, and then sprayed with clear to bake in the oven again. I had my aprehensións prior to doing this but I did it anyways to see if we can pull it off. We can’t. So if you still wan shadow chrome, we can do it on the full face, no polished lips. On regular wheels we could also machine the lip, which will cleanly remove the powdercoat on the lips up to the face. This will give the shadow chrome powdercoat a clean edge."

Note- From Jeds statement above"The powder coat is too thick that it causes the coating to crack at the edge as the tape is peeled off."

The paint that is on the wheels is a very thin coating and doesn't look or test out as powdercoating.

If I would have been told that there even a remote possibility this wasn't going to work the wheels would have never been shipped.

Then from Jed-I redid the wheels twice for you. First attempt was to try to do shadow chrome, but was not feasible. So we stripped and redid the wheels in the standard color.

"Redid the wheels for me twice for you".....the reality is he redid the wheels twice for himself not me. What ever problems he incurred was on him. He agreed to do something he had never done but acted like it was no big deal and he could make it happen.

The factory paint finish on my wheels was far superior to what they came back with and I wish I had never done this.

Another weird thing was when I brought up the problem I told Jed I was willing to ship the caps to him so he could then get with the powdercoater. Jed had already seen an identical cap from another customer with the exact problem but didn't say a thing about having already examined the other cap from the other customer with the exact problem.

I will always stand on my principals of fighting for whats right.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Had a feeling someone was going to mention this. Yes, not uncommon. However; it’s done by professionals who earn their living doing this and when the freakin paint is dry.

Recommended polish after paint is not few days or a week. It’s couple months to allow the clear coat to dry. Otherwise you gonna burn the clear coat. Like the body shop that repaired my SUV.
Thanks for the input!

The wheels sat in my office on carpeting for a few months before I did anything.

Its powdercoating,once its out of the oven and cools you're good to go....no drying required.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #50

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
This is what I came here for!

The pre-LCI 2001 M5s are complete garbage!!! They have zero residual value.

The oil you run is trash.

Gauntlet thrown.
Welcome aboard!

RAO told me SuperTech was best.......is that wrong?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I didn’t know Jed had this in him. Good for your Jed.

To clear things up , I had a set recently redone by Jed and will post on this thread.

I’ve ran into people like this before. Where they mess up and look for someone to blame... Good one, POS of this type have come through here before in “vendor format”you know who you are, groupies, you know who you are, and board members definitely know who you are.

I can try to understand why OP did what he did, but I won’t. It’s not a car where you need to correct fish eye or clear coat imperfections. Just wow.. I’ll continue to reply to individual post until I get to the end of this thead and post my Dinan wheels refinish process with Jed that took place few months ago.

By the way, Jed was on a well deserved vacation.

No need to give Shady any crap. They communicate all the time and come up with products using today’s technology for e39 community.
Thanks for chiming in.

Love to see your wheels!

Love to see what happens when you wax them(you choose,looks like any kind will remove this so-called powdercoat).

Interesting that your opinion is that "I messed up".

I've seen what appears to be some pretty kickass stuff from Jed and the other guy but this is not some of it on my wheels.

I was in contact with Jed as he supposedly finished my wheels. I was on vacation in Colorado and he had to sit on them for a couple weeks until I got home frome the 3000 mile roadtrip in my wifes 540 and the 1030 mile dual sport ride on my Husqvarna 701. I sent Jed some piks from my vaca and stayed in contact with him(I have treated these wheels like they were made of gold). You should have seen the way I packed them. I tracked them the entire time they were in the FedEx system.

Bust out the ranch dressing!

Lets us see those wheels!

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Absolutely!

Did our brand new Suburban!

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Thanks for chiming in.

Love to see your wheels!

Love to see what happens when you wax them(you choose,looks like any kind will remove this so-called powdercoat).

Interesting that your opinion is that "I messed up".

I've seen what appears to be some pretty kickass stuff from Jed and the other guy but this is not some of it on my wheels.

I was in contact with Jed as he supposedly finished my wheels. I was on vacation in Colorado and he had to sit on them for a couple weeks until I got home frome the 3000 mile roadtrip in my wifes 540 and the 1030 mile dual sport ride on my Husqvarna 701. I sent Jed some piks from my vaca and stayed in contact with him(I have treated these wheels like they were made of gold). You should have seen the way I packed them. I tracked them the entire time they were in the FedEx system.

Bust out the ranch dressing!

Lets us see those wheels!
Post a pic of what you used. I am gonna buy the same product and try it on my wheels.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
It only took 2-3 minutes for each to do this. I have a video of me doing this but I’m having trouble with the hosting and I’ll post it too when I get the issue resolved.
E5EB12F4-B106-41A2-AEF7-06CEC19E5006.png

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I only did one of the center caps.

6A09A875-1CF1-4A26-A7B0-B8805449053B.png

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
This was 2-3 minutes on the saddle of the wheel.

9E59D0EE-1B81-436E-B183-DFD53B6F2688.png

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
27A0AB70-8122-4AED-B92B-D853ADE815A5.png

·
Registered
9 Posts
Had my popcorn and was reading along, till I saw the pictures.
So you want to rub on a semi flat finish until it's glossy?
No, don't do that.
Anything less than gloss is "open coat" meaning no skin or porous.

41 - 60 of 111 Posts