BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jed Peneda at Einhorn Industries delivers a big fail on my Dinan wheels.

25K views 132 replies 29 participants last post by  bfp9 
#1 ·
Hello!

Hope 2020 finds you all well!

I had one of my sets of Dinan wheels refinished by Jed Peneda at Einhorn Industries near Los Angeles California( August of '18 he appeared to be the goto guy for the refurb on my wheel project).

I've seen what appears to be some brilliant work from Jed(all in photographs,none in person). His work appeared to be solid and communication started off great.

He first he said he could do the oem chrome shadow spokes and a polished lip(sounded like he had done it before and had it down).

He then said (after he had made several attempts that "it couldn't be done").

I was not informed at any time that my wheels were going to be the ginnea pig for Jed to do chrome shadow with polished lips on Dinan/Champion wheels.

I agreed to have them silver powdercoated spokes and polished lips after he attempted to lay the blame on me for his process not working.

After I got the wheels back I found that quite a few off the shelf waxes and polishes remove the supposed powdercoating on the wheels.

I have always detailed the powdercoating jobs I have had done in the past which is in the thousands spent on calipers,style 65 wheels,motorcycle frames,hubs,sway bars,springs,engine cases,triple clamps,jetski parts etc).

Not one other part that I have had powdercoated looks like Jeds "powdercoating" and none of it has ever come off with wax or polish and as a matter of reference it took over 100 hours of riding my dirtbike for my boots with mud and sand to wear thru the powdercoating to the bare aluminum frame.

I have loads of experience with powdercoating and Jeds work appears to be rattle can paint compared to all of the other PC i've had done.

Jed offered to redo them with more of the same which I thought was pointless because of how easy the finish comes off with just wax.

Jed has been very unreasonable with making this right for me(He spewed a load of filth at me on Messenger which I'll post later).

He will not provide a receipt,invoice or work order of any kind for the work done.

Jed has "ghosted" me and Shady Hassan now speaks for him( mostly name calling and he had a meltdown and banned me from the FB group).

Shadys name calling and childlike behavior on FB is a little strange since it not any of his business(unless he wants to send me the $1200 I have in the project).

Why can't Jed speak for himself?

Why can't Jed work with me to resolve this problem with work he farmed out to someone else?

There are others with the same problem with the powdercoating done by "Jed" they will speak for themselves.

Your opinions are wanted on this situation and how we should resolve it!

Thanks for any and all input!

Happy New Year!

See less See more
#2 ·
Not Jed, and not affiliated with this issue, but I am a member of the facebook group that you're referring to. If Jed decides to speak in on this thread that's fine, but until then I figured I'd post his response so everyone knows both sides of the story. You didn't polish them with wax, you used Nu Finish which is an abrasive RUBBING COMPOUND, not to mention you used ranch dressing on your Dinan wheels for god knows why. Sounds like there really is a loose nut behind the wheel.

Jed did speak for himself, and as others have already said it sounds like you're just trying to **** on him and his business without actually resolving anything.

#4 ·
Not Jed, and not affiliated with this issue, but I am a member of the facebook group that you're referring to. If Jed decides to speak in on this thread that's fine, but until then I figured I'd post his response so everyone knows both sides of the story. You didn't polish them with wax, you used Nu Finish which is an abrasive RUBBING COMPOUND, not to mention you used ranch dressing on your Dinan wheels for god knows why. Sounds like there really is a loose nut behind the wheel.

Jed did speak for himself, and as others have already said it sounds like you're just trying to **** on him and his business without actually resolving anything.

View attachment 934164
View attachment 934165
Thanks for chiming in!

I want everyone to know both sides especially the truth which Shady and Jed are trying to distort.

Sorry to point this out but you have already misspoken.

I did not use the ranch dressing on the wheel but plan to do so at some point(will prob demo in court for the Judge).

Have you ever had any parts powder coated?

Are you the SME?

If so ...great .....happy to have your input.

Do yourself a favor and don't lower your standards to Jed and Shadys level by trying to call me names,I'm pretty sure you are better that that.

Stick to the facts.

I've had all kinds of parts powder coated and none of it has ever looked or acted like what Jed provided as a finished product.

Not being willing to share with me who really did the work and also not willing to give me a receipt for the work done is troubling as well.

I have had well over 3k in parts pc'ed for my cars,dirt bikes,jetski's etc and have always been given receipts for work done.

OK lets just say you're right and I'm wrong......

What about the Mothers Brazillian Carnauba cleaner wax....why did it remove the supposed powder coating? I used this on my m5 and drove 850 miles the next day to Colorado and it seemed to be completely gone from my car when I got there after a couple of rain showers along the way. My opinion of this product isn't good and I won't use it again because of its longevity.

And now tell me about the Wheel Wax....why did it remove the supposed powder coating?

Nu-Finish is a wax/sealant and does have a mild abrasive like all cleaner/waxes but has zero effect on any of my other pc'ed parts other than shiny and slick surfaces. I have used it on lots of other cars with great results.

Meguires 205(a polishing compound did the same but doesnt harm any other of my pc'ed parts).

Look at Jeds "For the record" statement.

There was never any mention of "I've never done this finish" or "your set will be the first done like this".

Here's some communication thru messenger between us.

Me -"Yo...hope all is well! What would it take to get a set of Dinans done up in shadow chrome with a polished lip?"

Jed -'All is good here!'

Jed -"If you want shadow chrome on the center and polished lips, this means the rest of the wheel will be black, are you ok with that?"

Me -""...so the inner barrel (backsides) and saddle(inside where the air is in the tire)would be black powdercoat. The outer lip would be polished with front and sides of the spokes along with the center cap would be shadow chrome.

Jed -"That is correct"

Me -"...they also true them?"

Jed- "Yes, and if there is curb rash, we remove that."

Me -"They are in pretty good shape but I’m not a fan of tires going on and coming off that why I want to start with the best finish possible."

#3 ·
This should be interesting. OP I hope you've got an airtight case here, which it doesn't sound like you do from my initial read. Jed has done work for hundreds of members here with no complaints that I can remember to include custom headers that sell for more than your set of wheels. Hopefully this gets resolved quickly and fairly.

#5 ·
Thanks!

Your statement doesn't equate to me being wrong but maybe that others aren't willing to come forth or willing to be called names when there is a problem.

Its a pretty big assumption on your part that there haven't been any problems,only Jed knows which I'm sure he will say his record is perfect.

Why he does what he does only he knows.

Lawyers,airfare,hotels,shipping,meals,transportation and my salary for a day or two is going to be way more expensive than giving me the $1200 back.

Jed didn't do the work.

Jed farmed it out.

Jed doesn't know what or how the wheels were done.

This work wasn't done by Einhorn Industries or I would have a receipt proving this.

An LLC is set up to protect the owners,this was not done.

My local police dept has been notified about this issue just in case things get wonky on the west coast and something gets attempted against me or my family.

Jed.....sack up and chime in on this!

#6 · (Edited)
Sigh....Aubray Wrong, are you trying to get embarrassed here too? Your story is full of holes, you can't spell anyone's name correctly, and now you think lawsuits are all expenses paid vacations LOL.

Below is Aubrey's entire FB sh!tstorm that got him flamed 3 times and subsequently banned. These are complete screenshots of 300+ comments. Nothing has been edited, deleted nor altered; all comments and sub-comments have been expanded (even Oto's boring off-topic paint discussions). These are 100% cut and paste captures of the entire story and the stupidity displayed by Aubrai.

Original thread on Nov. 23, 2019 - Part 1
Original thread on Nov. 23, 2019 - Part 2

Second thread on Jan. 4, 2020

Third thread on Jan. 4 2020
WARNING: These threads are full of memes and explicit language (NSFW). If you are the typical frail M5board user, close this thread now and move on.

#15 ·
I have no idea of who is in the right or wrong here. Moreover I just dont care. Take your squabbles offline. Getting Lawyers involved over a set of re-chromed wheels smacks of "Get a Life". This is about enjoyment not reading about petty arguments. Go to a Cancer Ward and watch people die every day if you need to get a sense of perspective.

Moderators should shut this thread now.

#19 ·
I have no idea of who is in the right or wrong here. Moreover I just dont care. Take your squabbles offline. Getting Lawyers involved over a set of re-chromed wheels smacks of "Get a Life". This is about enjoyment not reading about petty arguments. Go to a Cancer Ward and watch people die every day if you need to get a sense of perspective.

Moderators should shut this thread now.
Thanks for your input!

This is your first post on the M5B?

You must be one of Shady's Koolaid drinkers from FB.

You have zero cred on this board.

Rethink things!

#17 ·
So I have no dog in this race and am not familiar with any of the parties involved. But am I the only one who thinks this reflects pretty poorly on Jed and whoever else? Most of it is just you guys cursing out a guy and making fun of his age and then a mob piling on. Why is that okay?

And then cutting to the meat of the issue - how in the **** is a wheel with a finish so weak that it rubs away by hand acceptable? Yeah they're new, shouldn't need polishing, he's using a cleaner wax, whatever - wheels shouldn't be that delicate. I can probably get a more resilient finish with a rattle can.

#20 ·
So I have no dog in this race and am not familiar with any of the parties involved. But am I the only one who thinks this reflects pretty poorly on Jed and whoever else? Most of it is just you guys cursing out a guy and making fun of his age and then a mob piling on. Why is that okay?

And then cutting to the meat of the issue - how in the **** is a wheel with a finish so weak that it rubs away by hand acceptable? Yeah they're new, shouldn't need polishing, he's using a cleaner wax, whatever - wheels shouldn't be that delicate. I can probably get a more resilient finish with a rattle can.
Thanks for the input!

Exactly my point.
"how in the **** is a wheel with a finish so weak that it rubs away by hand acceptable? Yeah they're new, shouldn't need polishing, he's using a cleaner wax, whatever - wheels shouldn't be that delicate. I can probably get a more resilient finish with a rattle can."

I've had thousands of dollars worth of powdercoating done and none of it has been as weak as this is.

Jed is running from his mistake.

Make it a great week!

#25 ·
Contact Jed and let him know he needs to sack up!

#26 ·
Image result for judge judy

#28 ·
Why both parties have let this escalate this far is just silly and is making them both look bad.

Reactions: Flyin-m5
#29 · (Edited)
From me on messenger to Jed on November 4th 2019

You didn’t put the coating on these so in reality you don’t know if they did what they said they did.

I stated before...no problems only solutions.

What you proposed so far isn’t acceptable.

This isn’t good for either of us.

Because people don’t speak up doesn’t mean there aren’t any problems.

#30 ·
From Jed on messenger-November 11th 2019

"As far as I’m concerned, the service you paid for was satisfied and proof of deliver and your acknowledgement that your were satisfied. Our business is concluded here. Do not contact or harass me ever again. By email, by phone, by social media. You want to file a lawsuit, go ahead. You want to report me to the police, go ahead. But do not contact me ever again!"

#31 ·
Sounds pretty clear to me that he wants zero interactions with you, so you need to decide what course of action you want to take if any. Posting on this board is not going to get you anywhere or resolve anything. It just brings more people into your dispute for no reason.

Reactions: Flyin-m5
#32 ·
From me on messenger on November 11th 2019

I will need a receipt for the work done to my wheels.

Send the caps back as is.

There are others suffering the same low quality paint on their wheels that were done by you.

I didn’t ask for any kind of compensation because your tone doesn’t convey any kind of concern about what is going on here other than I did something wrong.

I will be posting all of the issues with my wheels on the FB page as well as other sites to get public opinions,thoughts and concerns.

Let me just say I wanted to work this out privately so that no damage would be done to you,your reputation and your brand.

I will make a complaint to my local police dept and then they contact your local police dept for investigation.

Thanks for your time.

#38 ·
Thanks for the input.

So what you do is scroll past this thread......and click on the next one.

All of your problems are solved.

Thanks and you're welcome!

#34 ·
im not taking anyone's side, but i had a full set of lightweight forged BBS wheels powdercoated here in SoCal for my E46 M3. The first thing i did before i put them on the car was apply wheel wax to make cleaning them faster/easier. so i understand why the OP did that initially. True, i wouldnt have used NuFinish, but if you dont know any better, its an easy mistake.

the real issue is....powdercoating is supposed to be one of the strongest finishes available in automotive applications. i would have wanted them redone if they peeled or rubbed off at all.....even within the first year. no matter what type of cleaner i put on there.

i owned a physical shop in LA serving the public so i know first hand how difficult it can be to deal with batsh!t crazy customers...so i feel for Jed....but i also feel for the OP.

the finish should be redone...if OP wont take that then simply move on and dont complain.

#48 ·
im not taking anyone's side, but i had a full set of lightweight forged BBS wheels powdercoated here in SoCal for my E46 M3. The first thing i did before i put them on the car was apply wheel wax to make cleaning them faster/easier. so i understand why the OP did that initially. True, i wouldnt have used NuFinish, but if you dont know any better, its an easy mistake.

the real issue is....powdercoating is supposed to be one of the strongest finishes available in automotive applications. i would have wanted them redone if they peeled or rubbed off at all.....even within the first year. no matter what type of cleaner i put on there.

i owned a physical shop in LA serving the public so i know first hand how difficult it can be to deal with batsh!t crazy customers...so i feel for Jed....but i also feel for the OP.

the finish should be redone...if OP wont take that then simply move on and dont complain.
Thanks for the input.

Nice to hear from a shop owner!

Customers can and do get pretty crazy at times,I am not one of those.

"the real issue is....powdercoating is supposed to be one of the strongest finishes available in automotive applications. i would have wanted them redone if they peeled or rubbed off at all.....even within the first year. no matter what type of cleaner i put on there."

I agree 100% with the statement and I'm not new to powdercoating.

A list of things I have had powdercoated in the past include:

Keep in mind that parts have to be bare of anything like bearings,seals,bolts,brackets etc....basically need to be naked of anything before they are sandblasted/cleaned and teflon plugs installed into any threads, and any surface that needs to remain bare has to be taped with heat proof teflon tape.

Acura calipers and disc(the pc was then machined off the braking surface)
1992 Yamaha WR200 frame and swingarm, pipe heat shield
1997 Honda CR250 frame and swingarm
2000 Yamaha YZ250 frame and swingarm
1986 Kawasaki jetski engine plate and ride plate
2007 Honda CRF450 frame and swingarm and stand in white and in flat black we did the rims,hubs,upper and lower triple clamps,valve cover,left and right outer engine cases,pipe heat shield and a giant antique wrench(currently the bike has 130hours of ride time since the coating and it still looks great after all of the dirt,mud and sand its been ridden thru).
Square set of rear style 65's
2 sets of Dinan springs
Dinan e39 M5 rear swaybar
2 BMW e39 Eibach front swaybars
Pressure sprayer cabinet

All of these things were detailed,polished and waxed before using them and have very tough and durable finishes with no problems at all.

From Jed-"If you want shadow chrome on the center and polished lips, this means the rest of the wheel will be black, are you ok with that?"

From me- ...so the inner barrel (backsides) and saddle(inside where the air is in the tire)would be black powdercoat. The outer lip would be polished with front and sides of the spokes along with the center cap would be shadow chrome.

From Jed-"That is correct".

This was the contract between us.

Wheels were shipped and arrived safely with my return labels and center caps.

Then....

From Jed-Not good news on the wheels. Shadow chrome with polished lips cannot be done. The powder coat is too thick that it causes the coating to crack at the edge as the tape is peeled off. Second, the tape itself cannot survive the oven twice, can barely survive once. The silver paint has to be applied while the wheel is red hot from baking the base powdercoat, and then sprayed with clear to bake in the oven again. I had my aprehensións prior to doing this but I did it anyways to see if we can pull it off. We can’t. So if you still wan shadow chrome, we can do it on the full face, no polished lips. On regular wheels we could also machine the lip, which will cleanly remove the powdercoat on the lips up to the face. This will give the shadow chrome powdercoat a clean edge."

Note- From Jeds statement above"The powder coat is too thick that it causes the coating to crack at the edge as the tape is peeled off."

The paint that is on the wheels is a very thin coating and doesn't look or test out as powdercoating.

If I would have been told that there even a remote possibility this wasn't going to work the wheels would have never been shipped.

Then from Jed-I redid the wheels twice for you. First attempt was to try to do shadow chrome, but was not feasible. So we stripped and redid the wheels in the standard color.

"Redid the wheels for me twice for you".....the reality is he redid the wheels twice for himself not me. What ever problems he incurred was on him. He agreed to do something he had never done but acted like it was no big deal and he could make it happen.

The factory paint finish on my wheels was far superior to what they came back with and I wish I had never done this.

Another weird thing was when I brought up the problem I told Jed I was willing to ship the caps to him so he could then get with the powdercoater. Jed had already seen an identical cap from another customer with the exact problem but didn't say a thing about having already examined the other cap from the other customer with the exact problem.

I will always stand on my principals of fighting for whats right.

Thanks.

#51 ·
This is what I came here for!

The pre-LCI 2001 M5s are complete garbage!!! They have zero residual value.

The oil you run is trash.

Gauntlet thrown.
Welcome aboard!

RAO told me SuperTech was best.......is that wrong?

#55 · (Edited)
It only took 2-3 minutes for each to do this. I have a video of me doing this but I’m having trouble with the hosting and I’ll post it too when I get the issue resolved.
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Auto part Rim

#56 ·
I only did one of the center caps.

Font Eye Metal Coin Money

#57 ·
This was 2-3 minutes on the saddle of the wheel.

Yellow Snout Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.