BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay let me start off by saying I did my search but turned up older posts that talked more about it coming out and beta testings. I wanted a opinion from most that have ot to shed some light on whether it is worth it. I am looking for answers relating to: Does it make the system more stealth ? Are there wires still needed ? Is the display on teh dash or nav easy to read ?

Or does any one have one of these ? If so comments pls.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
OK...I've had mine for awhile and I love it. I only use the OBC display, not the NAV and it is easy to read. THe unit is very configurable with regards to numerous settings and the way alerts are displayed. Yes, you still need to wire it but it's an easy DIY job that took me maybe 25 - 30 minutes. I could probably do it faster now after the first time. I do think that it is worth it. I think it is more stealthy because no one can see the alert now other than someone in the car. If your Valentine 1 is placed in a stealthy position, it's a great combo. BTW, the pic you posted is of the remote for the Valentine 1 and will not be used if you install the StealthOne.

:cheers:

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Ditto.

Additional reasons:

1. The V1 is always dark, so no telltale lights to tell others (or passing cops) that you have a radar detector

2. When it alerts your eyes move to the display, jsut under the tac/speedo...no need to have eyes mnoving to yet another location.

3. The stealth one will 'auto button press' so the accept screen gets reset automatically!

As mentioned, it is so increadibly prorammable it is worth twice the price. :)

A

·
Registered
167 Posts
There couldn't be an easier answer to this question IMHO. The Jaric Stealthone is awesome. It's so much cleaner than the remote display option from Valentine.

I'm having my V1 hardwired into the car as we speak, but installed the Stealthone myself. It's pretty easy to do. FYI, my V1 will be installed in the little box in the center of the headliner.

I highly recommend hardwiring the power from above the panel with the garage door opener. Very easy.

Happy to answer more detailed questions about install.

Pete

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Does the Auto-Accept function work even if you choose to use the MID to display warnings (instead of Nav)?

·
Registered
947 Posts
Yes it does. I've had my StealthOne for about 8 months and its awesome. High techie value plus the stealthness is useful. I have my V1 mounted just to the right of the rear view mirror and the V1 display is blocked when the visor is down, thus having the alerts on the MID is perfect. I also like the auto-muting feature that kicks in at a pre-defined speed and the ability to mute it via the phone button on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Osodog said:
Yes it does. I've had my StealthOne for about 8 months and its awesome. High techie value plus the stealthness is useful. I have my V1 mounted just to the right of the rear view mirror and the V1 display is blocked when the visor is down, thus having the alerts on the MID is perfect. I also like the auto-muting feature that kicks in at a pre-defined speed and the ability to mute it via the phone button on the steering wheel.
By the way congrats on the kid. I have a 2 year old that picks up from his mom saying slow down whenever I get to fast. I guess he goes of the jerking of his neck (HA HA) when shifting. This definately sounds like something I should get then. Thanks alot you gues. I had one question ? by you installing it to the right of the rear view mirror is there then a long cord running from the unit for power down the center of the car ?

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Do a search for install tips- links on the stealthone site and bimmerboard I believe.

Briefly, the stealth one gets power from the sunroof power line. In turn, it powers the V1. The v1 is connect to it via a short 12" cable- just goes from the v1 up under the headliner. Then the Stealth one has a wire that routes under the headliner, down the pillar and behind the glove box. This line sends the communication signals that display on the car's display. No wires, no cigarette lighter plugs

·
10,458 Posts
my problem is when the seat and steering wheel are adjusted 'correctly' i can not easily see the display at the bottom of the dash. Perhaps it's my 'old style' 2000 model year steering wheel. So i never really gave this device much real consideration.
I have a new steering wheel on order so we'll see if that helps my dash view...
Mike

·
Registered
12,952 Posts
toolape said:
FYI, my V1 will be installed in the little box in the center of the headliner.

Happy to answer more detailed questions about install.

Pete
More info and pics would be appreciated on your install!
Regards,
Jerry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts