BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Read many posts on this and just want to simplify jacking the car for brake pad changes, one wheel at a time.

Scenario, at a driving school, need to change pads so I don't need the car on four or even two jack stands.

What is the easiest safest method seeing that you don't want to rely on just the jack?

Issue is, where to place the jack stand.

Thanks...

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Have you seen this? http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/jack/jack.htm

I've used their procedure for the rear of the car and I know that it works fine. I can't say about the front part though.
Good info, but I am really looking for a "parking lot" brake pad change where I have a small jack and jack stand and don't want to just rely on the jack.

I am having difficulty finding a good spot to lower onto the jack stand.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I have the jack lifting at the front jackspots, the jack stand I put under the front axle support frame. It just rest there as I don't like pumping the jack over again.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you seen this? http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/jack/jack.htm

I've used their procedure for the rear of the car and I know that it works fine. I can't say about the front part though.
Good info, but I am really looking for a "parking lot" brake pad change where I have a small jack and a jack stand and don't want to just rely on the jack.

I am having difficulty finding a good spot to drop onto a jack stand.

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
With 1 small jack and a jack stand you don't have many options.

Here is what I would do were I you:
1. Chock the opposite corner wheel.
2. Put the jack under the lifting pad on the same side but away from the wheel you want to work on. in other words, if you want the front wheel, use the rear jack point.
3. Lift the entire side of the car using your jack.
4. Place jack stand under the other jack location on that side.
5. Lower car and remove jack.

Our frame is very stiff, so that is what I would do given those requirements.

A better alternative is to find a way to carry a full size jack and use the center lift point or the differential w/ 2 stands to do an axle at a time.

d-

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With 1 small jack and a jack stand you don't have many options.

Here is what I would do were I you:
1. Chock the opposite corner wheel.
2. Put the jack under the lifting pad on the same side but away from the wheel you want to work on. in other words, if you want the front wheel, use the rear jack point.
3. Lift the entire side of the car using your jack.
4. Place jack stand under the other jack location on that side.
5. Lower car and remove jack.

Our frame is very stiff, so that is what I would do given those requirements.

A better alternative is to find a way to carry a full size jack and use the center lift point or the differential w/ 2 stands to do an axle at a time.

d-
Doug, I have the Craftsman 50239 (2 Ton). Do you know if it will reach the center lift point? I hate to say it, but where is the center lift point?

BTW, I will need to work on the front brake pads the most.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yeah - where's the center lift-point in the front. The photos posted showed a 530 (or something). On the M5, all that is covered with a panel (for controlling air flow). What am I missing? I can't find that magic spot. (or that's what my wife keeps telling me :7: )

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
On mine I use a small jack under the side lift point to get the big jack to the central lift point. I have found that a regular jack is too tall to fit under the front of the car without extra clearance. Slimline jacks apparently do...

The front central lift point is the round circle just rear of the oil drain plug. As I said, I don't think you can get there with a regular jack.

As a matter of full disclosure, there is no rear lift point. I use the diff with no issues, but it is not an approved lift point on our cars.

d-

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On mine I use a small jack under the side lift point to get the big jack to the central lift point. I have found that a regular jack is too tall to fit under the front of the car without extra clearance. Slimline jacks apparently do...

The front central lift point is the round circle just rear of the oil drain plug. As I said, I don't think you can get there with a regular jack.

As a matter of full disclosure, there is no rear lift point. I use the diff with no issues, but it is not an approved lift point on our cars.

d-
Okay, back to the original question, I think? How does a guy at a driving school "safely" change brake pads? Don't tell me to get an E30, E36 or E46.

Doug, thanks for your input so far.

·
Registered
543 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Richard -

This is similar to what Doug was saying, with a bit more verbage and pics:

http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/jack/jack.htm

Hope that helps.

-Kirk
Kirk, yes I saw that post (search is my friend). I am just looking for a simple jacking method to change brake pads "on the fly" with stuff I can carry in my boot (trunk for you in the New World Colonies).

As I keep saying, if I use the jack points to raise the car, where do I put the jack stands? Remember, I only want to do one wheel at a time.

·
Registered
543 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, then I have done this with my M3 at the track, but this is a crappy pic I pulled off the internet. It requires a jack adapter.

Or, you could use this:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00950187000P?vName=Tools&keyword=lift+secure
Kirk, that may be the only option, but, this board has been tracking for years and the jack you reference is fairly new.

If this jack/stand method is the only choice, so be it.

I just thought that many here would have had to change brake pads at tracks so I thought there may have been an easy solution for "one wheel at a time". Guess not.

Thanks... Richard...

·
Registered
543 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
1 - 20 of 40 Posts