BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing my mufflers with B&B and need to get the back end of the car up. I know where to jack it with a floor jack (just forward of the wheel wells) but where is a good place for the jack stands? The sway bar horns are the only potential site that I can find.

Steve

------------------
'00 M5
'99 R1100S
'66 GT350H/Paxton
'85 911

·
Registered
412 Posts
It cost me $70 to install my B&B's. Any competent muffler shop can do it in 30-45 minutes.

John

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can see why most people would prefer to take it to a shop, but all in all I prefer to do my own work, especially when it is something so simple. Replacing the mufflers is only a matter of undoing 3 bolts per side and cutting a piece of pipe. Rocket science it isn't, no professionalism involved. Only tools required are a 13mm deep socket and a sawzall, and the fees saved payed for the sawzall. Plus you get to see a lot of cool engineering under the car.

Steve

·
Registered
412 Posts
Steve,

You're right - it was neat to see the engineering underneath the car when it was up on the rack. Have fun with the install.

John

·
Registered
352 Posts
When I found my M5 on bricks at the jack points with all 4 wheels stolen I asked
around and no one could tell me where to use a floor jack so I could install jack stands
prior to installing the new wheels, I
couldn't see any place to jack either the front nor the rear ?

Looks like you'll need a lift ?

Good luck, Brutus.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
If you look at the picture in the "what's that thingy" thread, you'll see where I elected to place the jack stand up front. I think this was probably the only place I could have used, and it seems to be plenty stout enough....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts