BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here tried defensive/evasive/progressive driving techniques in their car? For those not in the know I am talking about 'J' turns and handbrake turns etcetera :wroom:
How well does it perform? I take it that you have to turn off the DSC or does it still play with it on? What about if you are in sport mode, how does this affect performance on these manoeuvres?

Any advice appreciated. :M5launch:

Pip

·
Registered
489 Posts
Go to www.bmwfilms.com, click on Season 1 videos and watch "The Star." They pretty much put the M5 through its paces and do some fun turns like you are talking about. It is definitely my favorite BMW film and I wish I could drive like that.

Pip said:
Has anyone here tried defensive/evasive/progressive driving techniques in their car? For those not in the know I am talking about 'J' turns and handbrake turns etcetera :wroom:
How well does it perform? I take it that you have to turn off the DSC or does it still play with it on? What about if you are in sport mode, how does this affect performance on these manoeuvres?

Pip

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Although it wasnt in an M5, I used to J turn my E39 from time to time back when I had it. Really easy to get the nose to come around.
1- Get on it in reverse. Flooring it gives too much wheel spin, so find a balance.
2. Crank the wheel over while putting the clutch in.
3. Catch the tail once the car spins around, select first, rev it and drop the clutch.
It's all in the timing, and it might take a try or two. E39's are big cars, but they can J turn pretty easily. The timing comes into play on when to take the steering out and get it back in during the 180, as all you want to do is reverse direction.
Ebrake turns were a joke in the car. Small ebrake shoe that didnt want to lock up even the 225's that I had on my E39. To spin it around quickly from a forward direction I recomend flicking the car, and then once the tail is out clutch kicking it into first to get your 180. Again, steering and throttle need practice before you'll get it right.
Find an open parking lot, wait till your tires are old, and have fun!
:cheers:

·
Registered
992 Posts
Vossen10 said:
Go to www.bmwfilms.com, click on Season 1 videos and watch "The Star." They pretty much put the M5 through its paces and do some fun turns like you are talking about. It is definitely my favorite BMW film and I wish I could drive like that.
Oh my gosh - I love that one. Cracks me up everytime and the music rocks. That guy really drives the heck out that M5...I just wish I had the room and the balls to try it out...

·
10,455 Posts
Vossen10 said:

I have the blur album on my phatbox, occasionally my boys ask to hear the 'woo hoo' song and ask that i 'drive crazy like the guy in the movie'. How can you disappoint kids... let me see what i can do....sir.
Mike :1: :1: :M5launch:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Pip said:

Pip
Yes.

To do a correct J turn, you have to upset the suspension.

By this, whilst you are travelling backwards, you give a a short sharp slight turn, just prior to, and in the opposite direction to that which you want to go. (Thats hard to explain.)

Lets say hand is at twelve O'Clock.

You start backwards straight. When you are at the desired speed, (The faster the more violent) You move sharply to 11 o'clock then instantly to 4 O'clock.

Clutch in, and select 1st.

As Soon as the car is at 90 Degrees, Drop the clutch.

This locks the back wheels, Stops Backward motion, and lets the momentum continue carrying the nose around.

You have to commit to dumping the clutch, otherwise you will mount the Curb backwards at a great rate of knots.

Best to practise, in wide open area, with no kerbs.

If you touch a Kerb, You WILL ROLL THE CAR. (Or at least tear out your suspension.)

You may ahve to revers the Clock instructions, deopending on which way you want to turn, and which lane or direction you want to face.

But the small upset first, gets things happening.

Sport on or off doesn't matter. Steering doesn't load up as much with it off.

DSC, best to have it off, although, as its just a sharp lock of the back wheels to keep momentum travelling in the correct direction, I guess it would really matter. Once you have the hit, to stop the car going backwards, the engine wait momentum, is carrying the front through regardless of what else is happening.

You cannot stop halfway through this manouvre. This is not for a beginner.

If you miss First, you are going to hear a got almighty crunch.

Also I have an Uber clutch. I wouldn't like to do this too many times with a Stock clutch.

You are effectly using the clutch to lock the wheels, thereby making them a pivot point.

I much preferred doing this in Government cars when They paid for tyres and vehicles.

You always new when a rookie had been practising J turns. They would rip the plastic indicators off. Good thing the Beasts are made of steel. :hihi:
MJ

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
MIB said:
Yes.

To do a correct J turn, you have to upset the suspension.

By this, whilst you are travelling backwards, you give a a short sharp slight turn, just prior to, and in the opposite direction to that which you want to go. (Thats hard to explain.)

Lets say hand is at twelve O'Clock.

You start backwards straight. When you are at the desired speed, (The faster the more violent) You move sharply to 11 o'clock then instantly to 4 O'clock.

Clutch in, and select 1st.

As Soon as the car is at 90 Degrees, Drop the clutch. This is also the time to straighten the steering.

This locks the back wheels, Stops Backward motion, and lets the momentum continue carrying the nose around.

You have to commit to dumping the clutch, otherwise you will mount the Curb backwards at a great rate of knots.

Best to practise, in wide open area, with no kerbs.

If you touch a Kerb, You WILL ROLL THE CAR. (Or at least tear out your suspension.)

You may ahve to revers the Clock instructions, deopending on which way you want to turn, and which lane or direction you want to face.

But the small upset first, gets things happening.

Sport on or off doesn't matter. Steering doesn't load up as much with it off.

DSC, best to have it off, although, as its just a sharp lock of the back wheels to keep momentum travelling in the correct direction, I guess it would really matter. Once you have the hit, to stop the car going backwards, the engine wait momentum, is carrying the front through regardless of what else is happening.

You cannot stop halfway through this manouvre. This is not for a beginner.

If you miss First, you are going to hear a got almighty crunch.

Also I have an Uber clutch. I wouldn't like to do this too many times with a Stock clutch.

You are effectly using the clutch to lock the wheels, thereby making them a pivot point.

I much preferred doing this in Government cars when They paid for tyres and vehicles.

You always new when a rookie had been practising J turns. They would rip the plastic indicators off. Good thing the Beasts are made of steel. :hihi:
MJ

1 - 7 of 7 Posts