1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
September -- Nail in the front tire

December -- All four tires replaced with PS2s

Today -- Another nail in the back tire

Totally frustrating! It's always garaged and I drive my baby pretty much only once a week. Anyone else's M5s love to pick up nails in the tires?

Jim

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
pretty much horse crapp !!

i had just put a brand new set of ps2's on and 1 week later i had a nail in the side wall !!

i think it means that we wander out of the lanes !!

i wouldve plugged but it was in the side wall !!

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Similar incident happened to me, for my own stupidity with the @$$ hole tire shop, they told me they can't fix the nail too close to the shoulder of tire (not sidewall), and I end up buying two new rear tires (285/30/20).

That was about a month ago, until last week, anothe nail stuck on a month old tire (what a coincident, same type of nail on the same spot), I thought I would have to replace a set of tire again, but I went to different shop which more convenience with my stock wheels in the trunk ready to swap and wait a week for a set of other new tires. :eek:oohhh: They said they can plug the hole and $20 later, I'm a happy to be back on my beast.

For my own lesson learn, I didnt' know they can plug instead of patch, if I would have known, I probably save $500-600 on the first time around. But, heah, at least I know now and didn't repeat the same mistake, most part, thanks to the 2nd tire shop.

Ask them whether they can plug the hole. I believe if it not too close to the side wall, they might be able to save $$$ for you.

I know how you exactly feel.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
I would never plug a tire on my range rover, and wouldn't think about it on my M.. that's scary.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Okay to plug (provided it's not in the sidewall) bif you stay under 100mph but if not it's not a good idea.

3,100miles here and no flats. Touch wood it continues.

·
Registered
167 Posts
My rear tyre was only a week old when I had a slow puncture due to a nail. I plugged it. I drive at all speeds so am I risking a blow out? I did not think a plug would compromise safety at extreme speeds.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Okay to plug (provided it's not in the sidewall) bif you stay under 100mph but if not it's not a good idea...
:eek:oohhh: I thought plug the hold only affect the leak, but it could be affected at high speed? Before I pluged the tire, I called several friend for advise because I never heard about plug the hole, only patch. All my friend respond with "OK" signal, one even track his car with tire plug. But sure, I would love to hear more from other members. Advise, please?

P.S. If I have to stay under 100mph all the time, I rather pay for a new set of tire.:hihihi:

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
If you get your tires at Discount Tire, (or Americas Tire Company), you can purchase "certificates" for about 30 bucks a tire. This will allow for a free replacement if the tire cannot be fixed. This has saved me on numerous occassions. :wroom:

·
Registered
503 Posts
I bought four new tire this summer, and had to replace the front two. One fell under warranty, so I had to pay for the other.

I bought the insurance. $50 bucks a tire, but worth it.

Did you buy the insurance?

·
Registered
503 Posts
:eek:oohhh: I thought plug the hold only affect the leak, but it could be affected at high speed? Before I pluged the tire, I called several friend for advise because I never heard about plug the hole, only patch. All my friend respond with "OK" signal, one even track his car with tire plug. But sure, I would love to hear more from other members. Advise, please?

P.S. If I have to stay under 100mph all the time, I rather pay for a new set of tire.:hihihi:
I would never take a chance. Be safe and get new tires, your life is priceless.

·
Registered
90 Posts

Totally frustrating! It's always garaged and I drive my baby pretty much only once a week. Anyone else's M5s love to pick up nails in the tires?

Jim
Must be Murphy after you this time. I had nails in my rear tires within two weeks last year, and drive the car once a week (actually weeekend).
:wroom:

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I would never take a chance. Be safe and get new tires, your life is priceless.
+1, I've had three nails in three tires at different times, all three have been replaced. Remove the risk variables, tires are way too important to play with. The dealership I frequent will not plug or patch tires as a policy on performance rated tires.......not a bad idea.

·
Registered
742 Posts

Jim

I think I might have gone one better,
6 tyres as well, but shorter space of time.:crying:
New tyres PS2 in November, nail on nearside front in January and just bought an extra spare wheel and fitted a new tyre so I can send one of my other rear wheels for repair.
Problem is that this wheels need 5 working days to be refurbished:eek:

·
Registered
174 Posts
I bought the BMW wheel/tire insurance and got my rear tire repalced for free - then bought the second one to match - so it only cost me half as much to replace both....

·
Registered
728 Posts
i just replace my right rear tire today. had to get bmw assist to tow my car to stealership. friggin nail right next to the sidewall! i only have 6k on the tire and have a ton of tread left. maybe i should send a bill to the neighbor who is remodeling their house :(. it sucks because my DPE wheels are going to get put on wednesday next week and the oem wheels would have been off the car. damn. little things like this drive me nuts.

·
Registered
836 Posts
after replacing my roof (of my house) I went through 4 tires for my M3 and 1 or 2 for my wife's Murano in the subsequent 18 months. Nail after f#$king nail

·
Registered
907 Posts
I bought a Snap on Tire plug kit about fifteen years ago and it's been invaluable.....done correctly the VULCANIZED plug BONDS with the rubber tire and becomes one.....it is very difficult to screw it up...would I trust a grease monkey? No, but do I trust plugs? Absolutly......done correctly.

Chris

Chris

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Plugs are not made to handle high loads and temps. The only sort of repair that is sufficient for a car of the M5's capabilities is a proper patch. It is not worth the risk of a blow out when pushing the car to save $300 IMO. I am the same as people above. I get one flat, I have three within 4 months. Always...

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
W0W........you guys are pretty much gettin nailed often !!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts