BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both my rears need replacing (can't think why!?):M5launch: . Can anyone suggest a place to get a deal on Pilot Sports in the UK? Best price I have found so far is £244 fitted - ouch.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
You definitely want the Pilot Sports II. There is a huge advantage in wet traction over the PS 1.

Cheers,

David

·
Registered
767 Posts
DavidS said:
You definitely want the Pilot Sports II. There is a huge advantage in wet traction over the PS 1.

Cheers,

David
I have PS1 on the front and PS2 on the rear of my Z3, and the drive is even more squirly than the PS1 all arround Z3. Now I need new rears on the M5, and wonder if I should go with the mixed setup, or maintain PS1 on all 4 until they all need a change.

BTW--To all purchasers of the "Special Tirerack Deal" for rears at $177 that took place about 2 years ago, what a mistake as I burned through them in 6K miles. They were a special version from the Dodge Viper production and must of had less tred on them.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
How much tread is there left on the front wheels on the outside shoulder? Because that is where you need fresh rubber IMHO.

PS2 on 4 wheels is a very nice thing... Hint, hint. ;-)

David

·
Registered
45 Posts
I recently priced some tyres at Costco. Possibly one near you?
PS2s fitted for £810 for all four. They apparently only do Michelins.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I currently have Dunlop SP sport 9000s on mine, and even though they are on their way to being / needing replacing, they still grip and handle well. Not a lot of squirming from mine, even with traction off.

Will be putting the same back on again, else it will be back to Yoko AVS sports, which I loved on a 911 I used ot have. The yokis on that lasted exceptionally well, and I used to drive it hard all the time.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Philip said:
BTW--To all purchasers of the "Special Tirerack Deal" for rears at $177 that took place about 2 years ago, what a mistake as I burned through them in 6K miles. They were a special version from the Dodge Viper production and must of had less tred on them.
Interesting, my experience was the same, I was NOT pleased with the 6-7k treadwear I experienced as well. I thought they were just the PS's and decided never to buy them again (I bought two sets) . . . I wonder if you are right about a special version of the PS . . . Kevin

·
Registered
6 Posts
maxm5 said:
Both my rears need replacing (can't think why!?):M5launch: . Can anyone suggest a place to get a deal on Pilot Sports in the UK? Best price I have found so far is £244 fitted - ouch.
Not sure of the advertising policy on the forums (being a noob!) so I won't post the link - there's a place in Glasgow will deliver two rear Michelin PS2's (free delivery to UK mainland 5 to 7 days - not fitted) for £407.80. I'm assuming your £244 quote was for one tyre only?

I'm currently running with Goodyear Eagle F1's all round.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
With Autumn/Winter round the corner, there aint no better tyre than the Goodyear Eagle GSD3 F1 IMO. They're exceptional in the wet & pretty good in the dry too. :M5thumbs:

Safe Driving. :wroom:

C.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guys

Thanks for your suggestions. I think I'm gonna go PS2's. For some reason they are £50 cheaper than PS1's, I hope this doesn't mean they are inferior!!

·
Registered
931 Posts
maxm5 said:
I hope this doesn't mean they are inferior!!
No way are PSII are inferior!!!! They are the best. Just make sure you also have a full wheel alignment done at the same time!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
I have PS1 on the front and PS2 on the rear of my Z3, and the drive is even more squirly than the PS1 all arround Z3.
Despite being made by the same manufacturer and having a similar name, these are not the same tires. The response curves could well be different enough to affect handling, which is why I always recommend using the same brand/model tire on all four corners. I will say that all new tires have mold release compound on them when new, and as a result, will nearly always be quite slippery for the first 2-300 miles so you have to be careful. Also, the Z3 has the older rear axle design based on the e30 3 series, which had rather abrupt oversteer characteristics at the limit, so that, in combination with using different and new tires at the rear could be why you experienced what you have. Give it some break in time, but if past that point, consider getting a matching pair for the front. The PS2s do grip better than the PS tires they replaced. (I used to have an M Roadster, which is why I know something about Z3s.)

·
10,456 Posts
khiroshima said:
Interesting, my experience was the same, I was NOT pleased with the 6-7k treadwear I experienced as well. I thought they were just the PS's and decided never to buy them again (I bought two sets) . . . I wonder if you are right about a special version of the PS . . . Kevin
I also bought some of those viper OE pilots. You guys are right, they come from the michellin factory with a little less tread than a "normal" polot sport, i can't remember the number, but i think it's 1-2mm less tread. As for your wear pattern, you must be more aggressive than I, because i have about 13k on my viper pilots with about 3mm of tread remaining! THey are getting noisy though... (and these are on the front, i'm running 285's on the rear, similar milage and similar remaining tread). Not sure what i'll try next time either. I was thinking toyo ra1's in 275 at all 4 corners... :hihi:
Mike

·
Registered
15 Posts
cableguy said:
With Autumn/Winter round the corner, there aint no better tyre than the Goodyear Eagle GSD3 F1 IMO. They're exceptional in the wet & pretty good in the dry too. :M5thumbs:

Safe Driving. :wroom:

C.[/QUO

Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 the best on E39 M5

·
Registered
88 Posts
Running F1 eagles on front and PS2 on rear.

Fitted PS2's to rear about 11,000 miles steady miles ago and they are almost down to the wear indicator - very disappointed. PS1's lasted far longer.

Have just ordered 2x275x35x18 F1 eagles for the rear at £280 and will pay local garage £20 to balance and fit.

IMHO F1 eagles feel better and last far longer.

PS2's never again.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Need4Spd said:
Despite being made by the same manufacturer and having a similar name, these are not the same tires. The response curves could well be different enough to affect handling, which is why I always recommend using the same brand/model tire on all four corners. I will say that all new tires have mold release compound on them when new, and as a result, will nearly always be quite slippery for the first 2-300 miles so you have to be careful. Also, the Z3 has the older rear axle design based on the e30 3 series, which had rather abrupt oversteer characteristics at the limit, so that, in combination with using different and new tires at the rear could be why you experienced what you have. Give it some break in time, but if past that point, consider getting a matching pair for the front. The PS2s do grip better than the PS tires they replaced. (I used to have an M Roadster, which is why I know something about Z3s.)
What surprised me so much was the amount of "increased" poor handling after I switched to different tires on the rear only. Because the rear wear so much faster than the front for me (can't imagine why!), it's cheaper to buy new tires 2 at a time. But I don't won't this poor handling problem to happen on the M5 so maybe I will replace the fronts even though they are still in good shape.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position?

·
Registered
48 Posts
just replaced my so3 with the toyo t1R, what a difference its lighter, quieter and cheaper! paid 800 for all corner out the door. Ps2 comes second for a lil pricier.

·
Registered
691 Posts
mottati said:
I was thinking toyo ra1's in 275 at all 4 corners... :hihi:
Mike
That's what I'm targeting for my next set, but like the weather in Texas, if you don't like it, wait a few minutes (in our case, miles), it'll change! The way I burn through tires, I figure I will eventually try them all. Running S-03's now-- Kevin

1 - 20 of 23 Posts