BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been putting this off for too long but I've decided to finally get some winter tyres before I end up in a ditch or worse.

I don't want to repeat this nonsense:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39935&page=1&highlight=Reims

A couple of questions:

(1) What do you think of Continental WinterSportContacts TS800/TS810?
(2) I may go for the TS790v depending on what I get hold of quickly - these ok?
(3) Where in West London can I get these at a good price?

Any help much appreciated - the car stays in the garage tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
I run Bridgestone Blizzak all around on 17' Borbet type E wheels. Blizzaks are excellent on the snow and also in rain. They are also directional 235/45/17.:)

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I have had Blizzacks on several cars (not the M5), and they are awesome in snow and ice. They are at their best in snow and ice, and ok in rain. On dry pavement I think they are a bit spongey. I am not sure London gets enough snow to warrant Blizzacks. Maybe Michelin Alpin Sports would be a better compromise?

Can you European guys order through tirerack.com?

·
Registered
3,176 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Blizzak WS-50s on 17" Borbet TypeEs.

I have posted numerous times about the WS-50s... I can't say enough about them. They can go through ANYTHING. Handling goes a bit soft, but in the snow, I'm not driving for performance, I'm driving for safety from point A to B.

If you want to never have to worry about bad weather... Blizzak WS-50s on 17"s all around, Ashok!

-Matthew

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
MT JTN said:
Blizzak WS-50s on 17" Borbet TypeEs.

I have posted numerous times about the WS-50s... I can't say enough about them. They can go through ANYTHING. Handling goes a bit soft, but in the snow, I'm not driving for performance, I'm driving for safety from point A to B.

If you want to never have to worry about bad weather... Blizzak WS-50s on 17"s all around, Ashok!

-Matthew
Agreed:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Sorry about the car. It still looks nice though, if that's any consolation. I've heard, not experienced, so many good things about the Blizzaks. That would be my first choice. Besides the Blizzaks, Bridgestone makes good tires all around, from what I've read.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Under harsh snow/ice conditions, Blizzak will maximize safety by keeping your car ON the road, motivating, turning & stopping with maximum control. There is no equal. On ice, they grip as if they have huge nails sticking out of them.

In dry weather, they suk worse than anything. Exhuberant use of the throttle in dry conditions will remove the tread in a matter of hours (lol). Sustained high velocities will melt the tread like a crayon in a bonfire, so keep it under 75 MPH. Impromptu street racing with Blizzaks is dangerous because your M5 will handle worse than an SUV with all season tires. The handling is "so different" that you can get yourself in trouble with a few beers. They really de-fang your ride & their soft foamy rubber is especially noticeable with a 2 ton car. Such a change in handling capabilities is difficult for some folks to adapt.

I would strongly suggest 17" dedicated wheels, if you can find some to fit over your brakes. Getting them mounted & unmounted on OEM wheels twice each year will quickly destroy the factory wheels. They always get banged up and the labor cost exceeds the cost of spare wheels after about 3 yrs. Taller sidewalls & narrower tread improves adverse weather traction.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. I have a couple of suppliers "working on it" at the moment. In the meantime, I'm off to Silverstone today on my summer tyres for the F1 testing - hopefully I'll make it there & back without incident.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
Thanks for the feedback guys. I have a couple of suppliers "working on it" at the moment. In the meantime, I'm off to Silverstone today on my summer tyres for the F1 testing - hopefully I'll make it there & back without incident.
F1 testing? In this weather?

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just got back. Sat around in the paddock suite most of time eating - it was freezing. In the past three days they've managed only 18 laps!! :sad3:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts