BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm helping a friend try to get his 528i back running after a VANOS seal replacement, and it won't start. When I run CarSoft, I am getting the following codes:

ECU Information:
Part Number : 1430844
Module : MS42.0
Hardware No : 01
Software No : D6
Diagnostic Index : 60
Coding Index : 00
Bus Index : B0
Production Date : 46/98
-----------------------------------------------------------------------Status: ERROR -> Read the error memory...!

Fault Code : F170
170 DME Control Unit

Fault Code : F115
115 Reference tension 1 Pedal value sensor/Throttle valve sensor 1

Fault Code : F68
68 Tank venting valve
Electrical fault

Fault Code : F27
27 Idle control valve closing coil : malfunction
The final stage inside the DME will set an internal flag whenever a
short to ground, a short battery voltage or a disconnection between
the output transistor and the connected comp. Occurs.

Fault Code : F21
21 VANOS : electrical fault
The final stage inside the DME will set an internal flag whenever a
short to ground, a short battery voltage or a disconnection between
the output transistor and the connected comp. Occurs.

Does anyone know these cars well enough to help me figue this out? I don't know why the ICV and throttle would be fine before the seal repair (the car was running fine and not pulling codes for either with a PEAK reader) and now they aren't. Further, if I clear the faults, shut the car off, disconnect the OBDII plug, wait 1 min and then run the codes again I never get the same set of codes, always some variation of the codes listed above.

I found a BMW tech bulletin addressing throttle issues which lead me to try resetting the Adaptation values for the DME, but when I try to do it with CarSoft, it tries to talk to the car and errs out stating that the module will not respond. Is the module for the adaptation values in the MDK, or in the DME?

HELP?!
Jeremy
414-690-2621

1 - 2 of 2 Posts