BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed the other day that my A/C stopped blowing cold air all of a sudden, though, hmmm strange, might just need re-gassed, fingers were crossed at this point.
Checked the fan(s) at the front which powered up when I put the A/C on and noticed the pump engage so I though it must surley just be low in gass or something.

But...

Today, when I though I'd give it another go, nothing happens now, no fans, no engagement of the compressor either. I can still hear the vent positions change inside the car though.

Whats your thoughts on this guys? Got it booked in for Tuesday anyway.

For what its worth and incase its relevant, I got the Automatic A/C or climate or whatever you want to call it.

What I used to notice too and it was discussed on here a while ago was that when I used to run my A/C, it would cycle on and off.

Anyway, going out to get all sweaty again :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts
If I remember right, the air con will not engage if there is no gas in, or it detects low pressure (ie too little gas / leak).

I would hope that once you have the correct gas pressure, the system will come alive again.

I made that mistake and thought the worst. Did cost me about £600 for a new condenser though, as the dye pumped in during the "test" re-gas could clearly be seen leaking out...............

....for what its worth get whoever regasses / fixes it to put some "lubricant" in with the gas. It helps to stop the rubber seals from cracking.

National Aircon fixed mine. They have various outlets, but can come to your house and do all the work there............I'd use them again.

Hope this helps.
Mark

PS - I now use my air-con all year round. Keeps the gas circulating which helps to keep the seals in good shape............

:wroom:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,073 Posts
Plisken, not heard from you in a while. I think I passed you about a month ago, heading towards Centre 1grrrrrrr just after 5pm!
Out of interest, as your A/C has packed in, have you noticed alot of heat coming from the floor i.e. the exhaust's. My a/c hasn't worked in ages but have to say that through the summer my car is roasting inside even with the vents / windows / roof open. Have you noticed this with your car?
Cheers,
Phil.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,762 Posts
Phlem5 said:
Plisken, not heard from you in a while. I think I passed you about a month ago, heading towards Centre 1grrrrrrr just after 5pm!
Out of interest, as your A/C has packed in, have you noticed alot of heat coming from the floor i.e. the exhaust's. My a/c hasn't worked in ages but have to say that through the summer my car is roasting inside even with the vents / windows / roof open. Have you noticed this with your car?
Cheers,
Phil.
Mine gets very very hot as well, particularly the centre console area, but that is due to me transmission problem that is causing my gearbox to get un-naturally hot. Even if my A/C was kicking out cold enuff (def needs a re-gas) I doubt it could compete with that heat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorted, just a re-gas and the sum of £170 from a dealer, my old frields Douglas Park. Well they were the closest and could do it soonest, no other reason actually.

Phlem5: It could have been me, I work near there... Will have to look out for you.

Without my A/C on, my car is warm inside, what I have also noticed though, is my windows starting to mist up easily again as soon as it starts raining outside. Last time this happened, I got the microfilter changed and the problem was solved straight away. Not really relevant but thought I'd mention it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
plisken said:
Sorted, just a re-gas and the sum of £170 from a dealer, my old frields Douglas Park. Well they were the closest and could do it soonest, no other reason actually.

Phlem5: It could have been me, I work near there... Will have to look out for you.

Without my A/C on, my car is warm inside, what I have also noticed though, is my windows starting to mist up easily again as soon as it starts raining outside. Last time this happened, I got the microfilter changed and the problem was solved straight away. Not really relevant but thought I'd mention it.
Coincidence - just got mine back fro main dealer this afternoon after getting my auxiliary fan replaced as my a/c has been ****e for the last 3 weeks.

fortunately mine is still under warranty so it didn't cost a bean.......


'96 3.8 E34 LE no. 34
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
plisken said:
Sorted, just a re-gas and the sum of £170 from a dealer, my old frields Douglas Park. Well they were the closest and could do it soonest, no other reason actually.
hmmm, same problem again, here was me thinking that Mr Douglas Park and his skilled team of technicians had done themselves proud for once, who was I kidding.

Time for Henry Brothers to have a go I think...
:mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
395 Posts
plisken said:
hmmm, same problem again, here was me thinking that Mr Douglas Park and his skilled team of technicians had done themselves proud for once, who was I kidding.

Time for Henry Brothers to have a go I think...
:mad:
Isn't that just typical!! I hardly use mine (too cold up here) but the temperature crept into the low twenties a week or so ago and guess what no air con!! LSUK filled it with gas and it worked fine but the fittings on the pump are leaking and they wouldn't touch them in case they broke. So they vacuumed the gas out until I can get round to fixing the leaks.

These units take 1000g of gas which is a lot considering how expensive the gas is. These cars need air con. The heat inside my black interior can be unbearable.

Incidentally the climate control on my Discovery is incapable of blowing fresh air without heating it slightly. My car's not climate so I couldn't verify if its the same with the M5 system. The Disco's unbearable without functioning aircon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Apparently I need a new condensor and dryer, they have to be done together, or so I was told, been quoted around £700.

thoughts and opinions please...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
plisken said:
Apparently I need a new condensor and dryer, they have to be done together, or so I was told, been quoted around £700.
thoughts and opinions please...
Plisken
you seem to be on the sharp end of some heavy bills recently and I know it's not fun, well just a thought there's a guy called Davy who runs BM Motors out your neck of the woods and has a ever growing list of very happy car club members who have had work done at a very good price too.

His knowledge of BMWs including M cars seems to be first class, you could maybe give him a try and see what sort of price he'd quote.

If you do go down tell him that he was recommended to you by some car club members as he supposedly offers discount for club members
good luck whatever you decide

BM Motors
71 Station Rd
Law village
Tel No 01698 375146

cherrsagai

stevie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
395 Posts
plisken said:
Apparently I need a new condensor and dryer, they have to be done together, or so I was told, been quoted around £700.

thoughts and opinions please...
That doesn't sound right!! Look at this thread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Job done today, got some change back from the £700 though, well not so much change back but just slightly less on the old credit card.

I guess I was hoping for an improvement from what it used to be like, but to my surprise and dissapointment its just the same, well obviously better than when it stopped working, but the same as it was before, if you follow me.

I just hope it stays that way, with the colder weather just round the corner, its important to have your A/C working as it should.
:wroom:
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top