BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you thinking about getting childseats, keep in mind that if you fit decent childseats (like these Recaros) you're not going to be able to fit much more in the back. The seats need to be on either side which leaves only a very small central area for anyone to play piggy in the middle.



Our solution is to use the BMW F1 seat (which fits in the middle of the bench) for shorter journeys and leave the smaller ('young expert') Recaro seat for longer trips. This allows mummy to sit in the back with the smallest sprog :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,316 Posts
Ashok,
Are you saying that there's less room in the back of the E60 than the E39?

errr, not that we plan on having any offspring...the last thing anybody would want is some little Jeff's running around :hihi:

:cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The E60 is marginally wider inside but the Recaros are much wider than the previous child seats we've been using hence the squeeze. They are some of the best child seats on the market, however, and the little 'uns safety and comfort are paramount.

Two words for you Jeff - snip snip! ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
I prefer booster seats with built in 5 pt harnesses on long trips , otherwise the napping child slumps forward towards knees on the car's inertial belts . Don't even think of pulling all the way out , then " ratcheting " the belts to "lock" the sleeping/slumping child upright , as with each deeper breath, they pull even tighter on the chest !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
But put a towel or blanket under the seats! It will look pretty messy there after a couple of hours. I know, I have three kids and told them not to eat crackers etc. in the car, it's an M5. But they don't seem to care.....??????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
kjell said:
But put a towel or blanket under the seats! It will look pretty messy there after a couple of hours. I know, I have three kids and told them not to eat crackers etc. in the car, it's an M5. But they don't seem to care.....??????
I prefer the rubber car -seat pads , they come grey, black,tan , etc . They protect the car's seat back and seat bottom leather from permanent creasing .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the tip - I will get the seat protectors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
I placed my order today with all options except rear airbags, since the salesman said they could be harmfull to rear child occupants. I thought these could be deactivated, dealer said they could not for liability reasons?

Ashok Arora said:
For those of you thinking about getting childseats, keep in mind that if you fit decent childseats (like these Recaros) you're not going to be able to fit much more in the back. The seats need to be on either side which leaves only a very small central area for anyone to play piggy in the middle.



Our solution is to use the BMW F1 seat (which fits in the middle of the bench) for shorter journeys and leave the smaller ('young expert') Recaro seat for longer trips. This allows mummy to sit in the back with the smallest sprog :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
537 Posts
they can be deactivated at the customer's request. talk to the service manager and you may need a letter from the DMV like in MD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MEnthusiast said:
Ashok,
Do you have a picture of the BMW F1 child seat?
Here you go Jerry:

 

·
Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
10,698 Posts
Thats awesome. How old are the kiddies. Mine (3 & 10 months) are in the Britax Boulevard:



its a massive seat but it seems quite well built and is supposed to be very safe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
791 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
573 Posts
which are better the Recaro on the F1 seats? i have a twin girls, 5 months old, which would be more suitable for them? would i be able to fit a 3rd personin the back with 2 F1 seats?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For really little ones (less than a year) you need Group 0/Group 0+ seats.

I recommend Recaro Young Profi Plus:

http://www.recaro.com/englisch/produkte/kindersitze/young_profi_01.htm

Two seats of any make will take up significant space in the back. If you really need the space consider mounting one of the seats in the middle but only if you're 100% sure that it's safe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
573 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
For really little ones (less than a year) you need Group 0/Group 0+ seats.

I recommend Recaro Young Profi Plus:

http://www.recaro.com/englisch/produkte/kindersitze/young_profi_01.htm

Two seats of any make will take up significant space in the back. If you really need the space consider mounting one of the seats in the middle but only if you're 100% sure that it's safe.
sweet thanks!

for what age is the BMW F1 seat? also should i be worried about the bottom part of the seat scratching my silverstone leather interior?


edit: ashok, where can i order the recaro seat you linked? also, whats the max age for that seat?

thanks!

edit again: oops, i just read it, 15 months :)
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top