BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this article from AutoSpies:

Official confirmation of the death of the BMW 6-speed?
We uncover the official answer from BMW

Auto Spies article claims officially confirmed

A few weeks back we predicted the six-speed manual BMW transmission will become a thing of the past.

This week it was confirmed by the BMW product manager in Autoweek

Source: Autoweek

BMW's Formula One-style gearbox may become only performance transmission option

Do you like the stick shift and the clutch pedal in your BMW M car? Enjoy it now because the folks in Munich have seen the future and it’s called SMG (as in Sequential Manual Gearbox).
The company’s second-generation SMG is an option on the M3, and the next-generation M5 will also feature the Formula One racing-style paddle shifters, sans the traditional clutch pedal and gearshift lever. According to Rolf Scheibner, product manager for M cars, it won’t be long before SMG is the only transmission option for the performance cars.

“With SMG, you can shift faster and it is better for the engine, the clutch and the transmission,” says Scheibner. “With the M cars, top performance is the key, and with SMG, it is the top performance.”

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
grrrrrrr

Why can't they give us a 6-speed as an option? They should know some people will pay extra money for it. In fact, the 6-speed manual option will make the car more exclusive and rare.

·
Registered
422 Posts
The next M6 just lost some of it's appeal!:grrrr:
Maybe? V-10 well ok!

G

·
0 Posts
if this is the case and they stick to it for future m models then, they have easily lost me as a possible near future buyer.......grrrrrrr

G

·
0 Posts
Re: Its official!

TriflowM5 said:
Im buying other than BMW from now on
Does anyone think the new Maserati will be a better alternative to BMW?:confused2 ......I can't think of another manufacturer who would do a manual in an Urber Saloon:confused:

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
I'm not a fan of SMG. I'd rather have a traditional manual. If they go to SMG exclusively, then other mfrs' cars, particularly the one with the 3 pt. star, will become a viable alternative for me. Too bad BMW, if no manuals will be available, then you might well lose me to an E55.:byee55amg

·
Registered
262 Posts
now hold on a minute

Lets not jump to conclusions here. Despite Autospies' and Autoweek's claims that this is "official news," I dont see any direct quotes from Rolf Scheibner saying that BMW is, in fact, phasing out the manual transmission. It appears to me that Autoweek is just making an inference based on Scheibners quoted statement about the SMG transmission. The only part of this article that I take as fact is the part in quotes. The rest is just speculation.

In other words, don't worry everyone. This battle isnt over yet. There may still be a manual tranny in future M cars.

Cheers
Andrew

·
Registered
232 Posts
Not jumping to any conclusions, but the paddle may get rid of the weakest part in the current M5... The Clutch. Something has to give with all the power and with more horses on the way, I hate to admit they have to change something!!!!

Only logical they change... I don't like it, but it was obvious!

Maybe they can work out the VANOS problems while the are "reengineering"! And maybe a lightweight spare while we are wishing!

Just my 2 cents!

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Re: Re: Its official!

Klint said:

Does anyone think the new Maserati will be a better alternative to BMW?:confused2 ......I can't think of another manufacturer who would do a manual in an Urber Saloon:confused:
I saw the maserarti on the road the other day....and this is what I think
.....What an ugly piece of crap...

G

·
0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Its official!

2001's X5/Z8 said:

I saw the maserarti on the road the other day....and this is what I think
.....What an ugly piece of crap...
O dear!grrrrrrr

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Power assisted steering and brakes in a sports car -- Sacrilege! They said the same thing when the electric starter came out. I want my crank starter! "It takes the fun out of a true entusiasts driving experience." Pleeaaze!

When SMG is better than stick in all respects (it may not be at this point yet), manual trannys will be phased out -- even by BMW. Both hands on the wheel gives better control anyway.

·
Registered
94 Posts
BimmerBoyM5 said:
Not jumping to any conclusions, but the paddle may get rid of the weakest part in the current M5... The Clutch. Something has to give with all the power and with more horses on the way, I hate to admit they have to change something!!!!
hi there,
I'm by no means an expert, but I thought SMGII tranny still has/utilizes a clutch but clutch work is done by the machine? So if I continue to mash the throttle at every light stop w/ the SMG the same way I do w/ manual, why would the clutch last a lot longer? (although computer will slip the clutch a bit less than humans b/c they are perfect)

i get a feeling they are phasing out manuals b/c they want to add $2400 to the MSRP - bmw would like to get more $ to recuperate their r&d costs and profit margins - also having just 1 tranny saves them big bux in production costs, time savings, beauracracy crap(gov't testing, test crashes, emissions, etc)

i'd also like to see bmw keep offering manuals in m cars ,but.. c'est la vie

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Well, if its good enough for Formula 1 and needed for 500 plus HP I would be OK with it.

It was my understanding (don't remember where I heard it) that if the M5 goes with SMG that it will be SMG III.

We can always have our Porsches and track cars for the shifting.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
dont be so sure about Porsche. they may go this route also. as to power brakes, abs, steering, etc. the one distinguishing characteristic in the transmssion part is some people just enjoy shifting. there is a market for this and BMW is foolish to give it up. they will literally drive people to MB because no matter how hard they try to say "ours is a manual" the market will call it an "automatic".

and the autoweek quotes been around for a while now. I do believe BMW will do this, but I hope not. I have no problem if they want to take clutch wear off the warranty unless its defective from the factory.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
The only thing SMG is good for is Holding the leaver forward, Dialling up a boot full of revs, then letting go of the lever for all hell to brake loose.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I am sure with this sort of treatment, your clutch isnt going to last as long as a Manual.

Once the launch process is finished, you may as well slide it in auto mode.

SMG 1 was way two slow. IMO They still haven't quite got it right.

Maybe by SMG 5 it could be the business.hmmm

1 - 20 of 24 Posts