BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I graduated from high school in 2001 and went to off to college in LA. Due to my inability to cope with the frustration LA traffic induces, I decided not to bother with a car. I sold the car and mc I'd been driving and bought a new motorcycle in LA, and thats been my sole means of transportation ever since.

I've enjoyed it. Motorcycle really is the only way to get around in LA, the traffic/parking situation being what it is. Driving/riding have always been stress relievers for me, and dealing with a car in that situation would have just been more stressful.

But now, due to job considerations, I must get not only a car, but a car large/respectable enough to chauffuer clients in. I'm not exactly happy about it, its gonna be quite an adjustment coming from a motorcycle, but it is necessary. And being an enthusiast I am convinced I'll be able to find something I can enjoy, which brought me to this site.

I've been trolling for about a month now, as the E28 and E34 M5's are both on my short list. This board has been a pretty valuable source of information, so thanks to all who contribute (especially on the E28 and E34 boards). I felt it would only be good manners to step out of the shadows and introduce myself.

With that out of the way, I'd like some input. I like both the E28 and E34, and I am quite conflicted between the two. The major advantage of the E34 is that it has a lot more visual appeal, looks more "expensive" if you will, which is kind of important in my line of work - giving off the "aura" of success does wonders to assuage the apprehension people have about working with someone my age (21). On the other hand, the E28 IMO drives better, and I can get one cheaper allowing me to do some suspension stuff, maybe wheels/tires.

I dunno. I'd just like to hear some feedback I guess, I think your informed opinions would be helpful. Feel free to make other suggestions.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
344 Posts
I don't know if you want to do any suspension work if you are going to haul client around, I don't think they will appreciate the sportiness over comfort. I like E34 just for the look, but that's very subjective.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
clee19821013 said:
I don't know if you want to do any suspension work if you are going to haul client around, I don't think they will appreciate the sportiness over comfort. I like E34 just for the look, but that's very subjective.
Hehe yeah, that occured to me after I posted. I've been riding a sportbike with a fox tc rear shock for a few years, sometimes I forget that others are accustomed to a higher level of comfort. This is gonna be a tough transition to make:( Its been so long since i've driven a car regularly that when I do drive I instinctively lean into curves.

·
2,492 Posts
Mejnoon said:
I graduated from high school in 2001 and went to off to college in LA. Due to my inability to cope with the frustration LA traffic induces, I decided not to bother with a car. I sold the car and mc I'd been driving and bought a new motorcycle in LA, and thats been my sole means of transportation ever since.

I've enjoyed it. Motorcycle really is the only way to get around in LA, the traffic/parking situation being what it is. Driving/riding have always been stress relievers for me, and dealing with a car in that situation would have just been more stressful.

But now, due to job considerations, I must get not only a car, but a car large/respectable enough to chauffuer clients in. I'm not exactly happy about it, its gonna be quite an adjustment coming from a motorcycle, but it is necessary. And being an enthusiast I am convinced I'll be able to find something I can enjoy, which brought me to this site.

I've been trolling for about a month now, as the E28 and E34 M5's are both on my short list. This board has been a pretty valuable source of information, so thanks to all who contribute (especially on the E28 and E34 boards). I felt it would only be good manners to step out of the shadows and introduce myself.

With that out of the way, I'd like some input. I like both the E28 and E34, and I am quite conflicted between the two. The major advantage of the E34 is that it has a lot more visual appeal, looks more "expensive" if you will, which is kind of important in my line of work - giving off the "aura" of success does wonders to assuage the apprehension people have about working with someone my age (21). On the other hand, the E28 IMO drives better, and I can get one cheaper allowing me to do some suspension stuff, maybe wheels/tires.

I dunno. I'd just like to hear some feedback I guess, I think your informed opinions would be helpful. Feel free to make other suggestions.

Thanks,

Chris
Get a good 1997-1999 E38 740i or 740iL. The E28 and E34 M5s need constant upkeep and using one for a daily driver (as I have). You need a fat wallet and the willingness to drop an easy $1k in a day if you dont do your own work. The engines are pretty much the same thing in terms of maintenance. You need to do valve adjustments every 20,000 miles. The E34 has more ancillary items (the plenum has electronically controled intake length), and thus more parts break and the cost rises.

"Drives better" is very vague. The E28 is more race car. The E34 M5 is more of a autobahn destroyer, but in comfort. Taking the E28 on a long drive is tiring. My old E34 M5 was a pleasure to drive 800+ miles in.

The back seats are tight on both the E28 and E34. My recommendation for a reliable large car is the E38.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
de Witt said:
Get a good 1997-1999 E38 740i or 740iL. The E28 and E34 M5s need constant upkeep and using one for a daily driver (as I have). You need a fat wallet and the willingness to drop an easy $1k in a day if you dont do your own work. The engines are pretty much the same thing in terms of maintenance. You need to do valve adjustments every 20,000 miles. The E34 has more ancillary items (the plenum has electronically controled intake length), and thus more parts break and the cost rises.

"Drives better" is very vague. The E28 is more race car. The E34 M5 is more of a autobahn destroyer, but in comfort. Taking the E28 on a long drive is tiring. My old E34 M5 was a pleasure to drive 800+ miles in.

The back seats are tight on both the E28 and E34. My recommendation for a reliable large car is the E38.
I know what I'm getting into in regards to maintenance.

By "drives better" I meant about what you said. Granted, I haven't driven either car extensively, but it doesn't take long to feel the difference between those two. I prefer the racier feel of the E28, but it is obviously not as well suited to business use.

And as far as the 7 series goes, it is definitely the sensible choice. I just can't bring myself to make that psychological jump though. I'm trying to span the gap between what I really need (full size luxury) and what I want (go-kart). At the very least I want a manual tranny.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Mejnoon said:
I know what I'm getting into in regards to maintenance.

By "drives better" I meant about what you said. Granted, I haven't driven either car extensively, but it doesn't take long to feel the difference between those two. I prefer the racier feel of the E28, but it is obviously not as well suited to business use.

And as far as the 7 series goes, it is definitely the sensible choice. I just can't bring myself to make that psychological jump though. I'm trying to span the gap between what I really need (full size luxury) and what I want (go-kart). At the very least I want a manual tranny.
Based on your above comments, IMHO the E34 is your best choice. I know what you mean about the E38 and age thing. My wife and I are 32 and we both felt kinda "young" driving a big 740iL (which by the way we love the room and power, and it's beautiful!). The look and feel are so subjective that my recommendation is that you go and actually look at fine examples of all of these cars, and if there are any kind enthusiasts out there in the LA area (as I'm sure there are :)) they'll take you for a test drive or maybe even let you take the beast around the block.

Maybe these pics will help you decide :haha::
http://myetailor.com/Cars/

I personally get so many comments from people like "I can't believe this is a 15 year old car!" ... the E34 styling indeed have much staying power. But hey, then again, you're visiting the E34 forum, so what else did you think we would suggest? hiha

·
Registered
344 Posts
Another choice would be the last generation Mercedes S-class, it has huge presence, lots of room, but don't expect any vehicle dynamics though (drove couple times before, you feel kind floating, steering certainly don't have the BMW feel). So, for a large car, you're probably better off with E38 7 series (very good vehicle dynamic for a car that size)

·
Registered
517 Posts
The E34 M5 would be a better choice over the E28.
That being said for a daily driver I'd get a nice E39 540,
that way you don't have to worry about where you park.
Then find a nice E34 M5 to play with on weekends.
:M5thumbs:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mblaster said:
Then find a nice E34 M5 to play with on weekends.
:M5thumbs:
I can only afford one car right now, but I'm keepin the bike for the weekends:haha:

As far as styling, I actually like the E34 quite a bit. I like it better than the E39 in fact. Its more my style, understated elegance.

I've found 2 that look good to me, both very clean, enthusiast owned and obsessively maintained. Both have just under 100k. Problem is both have extensive suspension work - this initially struck me as a positive but I'm starting to reconsider. One of the two comes with all the stock parts ready to go back on.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Mejnoon said:
I can only afford one car right now, but I'm keepin the bike for the weekends:haha:

As far as styling, I actually like the E34 quite a bit. I like it better than the E39 in fact. Its more my style, understated elegance.

I've found 2 that look good to me, both very clean, enthusiast owned and obsessively maintained. Both have just under 100k. Problem is both have extensive suspension work - this initially struck me as a positive but I'm starting to reconsider. One of the two comes with all the stock parts ready to go back on.
What kind of suspension work?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mblaster said:
What kind of suspension work?
Dinan stage 3 on with load leveling eliminated on both. One has urethane bushings, firmer springs and some other stuff. That one has 18x8.5 rondell wheels, the other has 17x8 BMW wheels.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts