BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have located a few 2007 M low low miles-Any feedback Stick or SMG? Any maintenance on the SMG I should know about or get checked first?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Thanks to all-<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Personal choice, but don't dismiss SMG until you have the chance to drive one a number of miles. You have to "tune" yourself to it in order to be happiest with it. The M6 was designed for the SMG while the MT was made available reluctantly by BMW due to North American demands. But if you will only be happy with a 6 speed manual, they are available although in far fewer numbers. I think MT takes a hit at resale time as the demand for it appears to be less.

Either trans will put a smile on you face. Just depends and what you want from the car.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks-I have test drove both MT and the SMG-and yes the smile is still here 4 weeks after the fact....I was curious on the maintenance (reliability) of the SMG.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
SMG ftw!

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Sorry, I missed that you already got an SMG, my bad. The very early M5 and M6 cars with SMG has some transmission issues, but BMW seems to have gotten things sorted out as they years went by.

But if you can find the engine oil dip stick under the hood, be sure to let us know. Just kidding with ya of course!

·
8,369 Posts
I have a 2006 M6 with SMG, purchased 2 years ago with only 7,000 miles.

I have ZERO SMG issues. Get the latest software update from BMW as the new software fine tunes SMG shifting.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I like them both but bought a 6MT for several reasons...I wanted one, I enjoying rev matching the V10 myself, and it is smooth under all driving conditions (provided that you know how to drive). There is also the additional consideration of warranty but as I won't own it out of warranty, I did not factor that into my decision making process.

That being said, the car is faster with the SMG and the SMG is also lots of fun to drive. It will however be higher maintenance and costlier to maintain in the long term (out of warranty) if that is a concern.

Honestly, you just need to buy the one you like!

·
8,369 Posts
Very well said.

I like them both but bought a 6MT for several reasons...I wanted one, I enjoying rev matching the V10 myself, and it is smooth under all driving conditions (provided that you know how to drive). There is also the additional consideration of warranty but as I won't own it out of warranty, I did not factor that into my decision making process.

That being said, the car is faster with the SMG and the SMG is also lots of fun to drive. It will however be higher maintenance and costlier to maintain in the long term (out of warranty) if that is a concern.

Honestly, you just need to buy the one you like!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts