BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bugger...

MOT failure....

1) Nearside rear shocker leaking.
2) Too much play in stearng box (no adjustment left).
3) Brake & fuel lines running to the rear of the car corroded and need replacing.

All fixable, with 1 & 2 straight forward, but 3 (as far as I can see) requires the entire rear sub-frame assembly to be dropped out to gain access to all the brake/fuel line runs.

So, currently having neither the time, or the will to fix it, she has to go...

Will be putting on Ebay in the next few days as 'Spares or Repair'..., unless I get a sensible offer from here....?

UK Spec M5 3.6 (Model HD92)
Build date Week3 July 1990
First Registered on 17/11/1990
Extras :
181 Diamond Black
318 Black Full Leather
159 535I Style Rear Seat
401 Electric Sliding Roof
415 Rear Window Blind
459 Electric Seats + Driver Memory (inc. Mirrors)
500 Headlight Wash System
528 Auto Air Re-Circulation
529 Air Microfilter
530 Air Conditioning
560 Rear-Seat Reading Lights
570 Increased Power Supply
512 GB Specification
850 Additional Fuel (1 tank when first delivered I believe !)
869 Radio Wiring Installation

Full History, service book, receipts etc, (inc all previous 11 MOT Certificates)
Wait for it... 241,000 Miles
All original, and all working (yes, even the aircon is ice cold in the current weather after re-con last year), no smoke, no drama - been used be me daily for the last 2 years, and still cruses happily at 150MPH (Venlo to Stuttgart in 2 hours.... )

Tax until Jan 06

Pics via 'View My Car' (no, I'm keeping the plate...)

£2,000 to pick up and drive away to your nearest MOT station....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,762 Posts
Wow! drastic measures.... Wouldn't have thought that lot would have cost you too much to get done if you don't have the time or inclination to do the work yourself.

What needs doing there is a LOT less than the work I've been getting done on my '91 3.6.....

By the way, how is the gearbox? And have you had the oil changed at all?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeh..., 2 years is realy a long term relationship for me car wise, and just as I came to rely on her, she hurt me.... :crying: ...I need to move on.

Cost wise, I think the labour is the issue on the brake/fuel lines, and rather than throw money at the problem, I would prefer to sell it to someone who can sort it themselves and have a bargin... (£2K is a bargin, isn't it ?)

I had the gearbox rebuild last year by Niel Waterhouse of All Gears (01909 478 781) , new main bearings, 5th Gear cog & synchro. Changed the oil a month after the rebuild, and was about to again at the next service...(1 green light still left on)

illjah said:
Wow! drastic measures.... Wouldn't have thought that lot would have cost you too much to get done if you don't have the time or inclination to do the work yourself.

What needs doing there is a LOT less than the work I've been getting done on my '91 3.6.....

By the way, how is the gearbox? And have you had the oil changed at all?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,934 Posts
phil.cavanagh said:
Yeh..., 2 years is realy a long term relationship for me car wise, and just as I came to rely on her, she hurt me.... :crying: ...I need to move on.

Cost wise, I think the labour is the issue on the brake/fuel lines, and rather than throw money at the problem, I would prefer to sell it to someone who can sort it themselves and have a bargin... (£2K is a bargin, isn't it ?)

I had the gearbox rebuild last year by Niel Waterhouse of All Gears (01909 478 781) , new main bearings, 5th Gear cog & synchro. Changed the oil a month after the rebuild, and was about to again at the next service...(1 green light still left on)
------------------

sorry to hear about your trouble Phil - 2000gbp is cheap by the way - well I think so anyway, any thoughts on your next purchase?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,762 Posts
I'm really tempted to get this car just for the box, but fear my yard is turning into a bmw used car showroom, still got my 535i, my missus' 318i, a friends 320i that I am due to sell, my M5, and now possibly another M5, and i've still got a citeron ax kicking about as well!

if i do get this, i think my missus will leave me for good. oh well, can't stop my bmw passion.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,832 Posts
£2000 is cheap.
Mileage? Makes no difference on a well maintained car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,431 Posts
illjah said:
I'm really tempted to get this car just for the box, but fear my yard is turning into a bmw used car showroom, still got my 535i, my missus' 318i, a friends 320i that I am due to sell, my M5, and now possibly another M5, and i've still got a citeron ax kicking about as well!

if i do get this, i think my missus will leave me for good. oh well, can't stop my bmw passion.....
If you do get it, I'll buy the wheels off you :M5thumbs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,073 Posts
Phil, you can use wade couplings on the fuel lines to join new bit to old, providing the rusty bit is in an area other than above/behind the rear subframe, you get them from hydralic parts suppliers such as Hydrasun, brake pipes - you might not want to risk them there, I doubt the tester would too impressed either.
cheers,
Phil.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jahangeer said:
sorry to hear about your trouble Phil - 2000gbp is cheap by the way - well I think so anyway, any thoughts on your next purchase?
Difficult one this..., have about £10K to play with, and there are so many toys in the box to choose from. Could buy one car, or a couple of cheaper ones... I'm running around on my bike for the moment, so I don't _have_ to get something straight away. Also, I'm thinking about selling the Westfield, which pould push the pot up to £17K.

Audi S4 looks fun + £500 on chip and setup makes for 330 BHP / 380lb.ft

Who knoes.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,327 Posts
phil.cavanagh said:
Audi S4 looks fun + £500 on chip and setup makes for 330 BHP / 380lb.ft.......
...... and would need it's turbo's replaced for RS4 items in no-time because the stock turbo's can't handle a chip!!!!!!! They produce a lardy 265bhp for a reason!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
hi there,

if you where thinking of breaking this fine car i would be interested in buying the complete engine...as mine is a tad poorly at the mo. and i think it might be rather more expensive to fix it rather than buy a good second hand engine......

so if you are intrested, please could you let me know how much you would like for the engine....

thanks


zavy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,431 Posts
Re: It's all gone a bit Pete Tong (M5 For Sale) NOW SOLD

And to which board member (if any)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,431 Posts
phil.cavanagh said:
It was snapped up by a breaker last night...

Infinicar.com

May get broken or put back on the road.....

Sob.. :(
Paul's (infinicar) just put a load of M5 bits up on ebay - I'm hoping to get the Throwing Stars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mmm-Five said:
Paul's (infinicar) just put a load of M5 bits up on ebay - I'm hoping to get the Throwing Stars.
Shame..., the interior & wheels he is selling are from my X.car (it has ceased to be....)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Yes sorry Phil its being broken up.

Its a great community this M5 scene and I had so many parts requests from genuine M5 enthusiasts that it makes business sense to break it. I do not like selling cars anyway...in fact I hate it!

The engine/box has been sold already.........

Cheers
Paul
www.infinicar.com
E34 M5 3.6 & 3.8 & Touring Breaking
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top