BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This happened to a friend of a friend at our local dealership; I don't think he is a Board member. As reported in the following newspaper article, the damage was caused by a (now ex-) service advisor of the BMW dealership driving a car left over the weekend for service. :eek:oohhh:

http://www1.pressdemocrat.com/article/20080330/NEWS/803300376/1065/NEWS06&template=kart

It just goes to show you've gotta be careful of who you let anywhere near your car........ never mind valets, parking garage employees, but a Dealership Service Advisor? :nono:

I can't imagine ANY M5 owner telling the dealer he "doesn't care who drives the car" as reported in this article. hmmm

Be careful out there and keep a close eye on your Beasts!

Attachments

·
Banned
56 Posts
My new habit is to check the mileage along with the service advisor, and punch it into a memo on my blackberry while they're standing there with me. They know, and I know.

Instead, they turned the bass and treble controls all the way up, made a nice pretty V shape out of the equalizer (I keep it flat), and left the radio tuned to some crappy rock station. (I had left it on Sirius Symphony -- on purpose perhaps?:haha:)

Apparently they have an elaborate system of keeping them safe from being driven, but not from being a beat-box for the whole service department.

I'm still looking for the used condom and burned up doobie.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Amazing......assume nothing, good luck, hope YOU have a REAL GOOD Laywer !!!!! I think you will need one......again good luck

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'm trying to get my dad in the habit of paying more attention when he drops off his car for service or to a valet for parking.

He really doesnt, and it makes me mad and I dont even own the car lol.

·
Banned
56 Posts
I really wish this thing had a crippled mode you could leave it in for a valet or service department. But that doesn't really work for service since they probably need to actually drive the car to fix some things.

My dream crippled mode would not allow the car over 3K rpms, and when in valet mode, would not let the car shift into S modes - only D3 or lower, and Power set to 400 - even maybe a special power mode where it's like 100hp. It would also completely lock the iDrive system so no settings can be changed or personal info retrieved like Nav locations.

Future hi-tech iterations could allow the owner to preset a passkey for the car, and allow the owner to SMS (text message) instructions to the car using the BMW Assist connectivity. You could send a command to the car to allow it to be driven normally for a preset amount of time or miles, or you could use it to cripple it if necessary. That would force service departments to call you before they use the car and you are fully aware of what's needed.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Maybe dinan or someone should come up with some new software.....cherrsagai

but im sure that would be some pretty costly R&D maybe? but I bet a large number of owners would be interested.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I shudder to think how I would feel or worse, what I would do if I got a call saying that some fool from the dealership had wrecked my car while it was in for service....I would likely be on the national news for committing a truly heinous crime....:eek:

Cheers,

·
Registered
87 Posts
This happened to a friend of a friend at our local dealership; I don't think he is a Board member
Can you possibly keep us advised on how this is resolved?? I have read such horror stories on other BMW forums and the gist seems to be the same...the dealer does not want to assume responsibility for what their employees do with the customer's cars...

Many thanks,

·
Registered
907 Posts
crazy

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can you possibly keep us advised on how this is resolved?? I have read such horror stories on other BMW forums and the gist seems to be the same...the dealer does not want to assume responsibility for what their employees do with the customer's cars...

Many thanks,
I'll certainly post if I hear anything, although I'm going SOB for the next two weeks..... :margarita::cool_shades::margarita: ........and I'm NOT leaving MY beast at the dealer while I'm away

·
Registered
641 Posts
Totally bizarre story. The wrecked abandoned part. SA's sometimes take cars and drive them if the customer reports an intermittent problem. But I haven't seen them wrecked like that. And if there is nothing that they are trying to diagnose I don't think that they would be driving the car. I don't know if I would immediately hire council. I guess I don't have to I have one on retainer at all times. Insurance from the dealership will pay to have the car repaired.

·
Moderator Emeritus
915 Posts
I always thought I was way too paranoid putting a small USB GPS tracking key in my glovebox when my car goes for a service, tyre changes or valet but stories and photos like this make me feel it's a necessity.

[For those who want a similar device heres a link to the device I bought. lasts 5 days on 2 AAA batteries and overlays onto Google Earth]

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I'm guessing that this guy was kicked out of the bar at 2:30 and wrecked the car on the way home, then ditched it so he didn't get arrested. What an idiot. They should have done a breath and urine test as soon as they picked him up...he probably still had alcohol in his blood...

Mike Hansel is a Pri**. I had it out with him on the phone the day the dealership gave away my allocation to a "buddy", and we've been grrrrrrr ever since.

I will say that he is right that insurance should handle the accident, but he should have a new M5 on order for this guy today! Great way to piss of a $100k customer, Mike...

I bought my M5 from Prestige, but would NEVER buy another car from them, or have my car serviced there again. They have done more damage to my BMW's than good work. I have taken my car into their shop 3 and even 4 times to fix something and all they do is band-aid it so it's good for another month (sunroof problem), or say "Can't reproduce the problem" (audio issues).

Now I drive 1 hour to San Rafael to Sonnen to get my work done on the M3. The M5 is out of warranty, so I go to North Bay Bavarian for work that I can't do...

·
Registered
649 Posts
when my cameoff the transport truck ithad 4 miles, when i picked it up the following day it had 7 miles?...should i be pissed off?......intially i was very surprised but i didnt say anthing.......:grrrrr:

·
Moderator Emeritus
915 Posts
when my cameoff the transport truck ithad 4 miles, when i picked it up the following day it had 7 miles?...should i be pissed off?......intially i was very surprised but i didnt say anthing.......:grrrrr:
I wouldn't worry too much about 3 miles being put on it, I'm sure they need to do a few road tests to ensure everything is working as it should after it's long journey.
You'd be more annoyed if it still had 4 miles on it but the suspension clunked and seat rattled after something came loose on the transporter.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Ok I think this is tragic but is anyone beside me wondering ...

Why the hell would you ask them to keep it and drive it themselves. I'm getting my car and driving it over the weekend myself and and then taking it back Monday like they asked. How hard is that whenyou consider the alternative of some idiot you don't know driving your car over the weekend ....

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ok I think this is tragic but is anyone beside me wondering ...

Why the hell would you ask them to keep it and drive it themselves. I'm getting my car and driving it over the weekend myself and and then taking it back Monday like they asked. How hard is that whenyou consider the alternative of some idiot you don't know driving your car over the weekend ....
I guess that perhaps that there was an issue of trust?? I mean, a service adviser at a nice sized BMW dealership likely handles millions and millions of dollars worth of cars over the years, so maybe most people would trust them to take care of your car?? Then again, based on what I saw when my mom was taking in her 2000 X5 4.4 for its many service trips (this was at the San Antonio dealer) I QUICKLY developed a dislike for her supposed service adviser and associated goobers and decided then that I would NOT trust such a buffoon with any BMW, much less my $100K baby...

I suspect that there are indeed SA's out there who would have properly cared for a customer's M5...then again, my faith in humanity has dropped to an all time low in recent years....

Cheers,

·
Registered
649 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about 3 miles being put on it, I'm sure they need to do a few road tests to ensure everything is working as it should after it's long journey.
You'd be more annoyed if it still had 4 miles on it but the suspension clunked and seat rattled after something came loose on the transporter.
your right i didnt think about that......i feel much better now....:applause:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts