BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's not like it was cheap to start with. While not as problematic item as on other E39's, I decided to grab a spare one few months ago.
I got it for $240 from a dealer in IL (bmwpartsnow) the same one I grabbed last set of OEM wheels for a fair price.
Now it shows $350+ at dealers while Laso is still available for under $300.
It's still on the shelf as my original one still kicking at 111K miles / 16 years of age.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
9,830 Posts
Water pump.
And that is so so much to type. Got to say this new trend to be trendy is not working for you. Type out the words. This is not to you, general rant, but I almost posted the same as above but have a policy to not reply to posts where words are missing and some stupid letters have been used.
Just last week I did because it seemed obvious since we were talking about oil drips in the engine bay. So I assumed PS was power steering, wasted my time and effort formatting a post based on that. PS in the OP's mind meant something else.
It is hard enough to communicate on the net without posters being too lazy or too cool to type out the full words. Besides that it is a coolant pump where I come from, a water pump is in a camper.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And that is so so much to type. Got to say this new trend to be trendy is not working for you. Type out the words. This is not to you, general rant, but I almost posted the same as above but have a policy to not reply to posts where words are missing and some stupid letters have been used.
Just last week I did because it seemed obvious since we were talking about oil drips in the engine bay. So I assumed PS was power steering, wasted my time and effort formatting a post based on that. PS in the OP's mind meant something else.
It is hard enough to communicate on the net without posters being too lazy or too cool to type out the full words. Besides that it is a coolant pump where I come from, a water pump is in a camper.
You call it stupid and lazy, I call it abbreviation used on car forums for years. Feel free to not give me any advice anymore. I think I'll survive.

·
Registered
9,830 Posts
Sorry not an abberv. except I think the abbreviation only has one b when abbreviated, just easier to type out the word. Your choice post the way you want but obviously you are not communicating effectively if someone has to as what WP means, also might be noted you got no replies. Well except for replies saying "what did you mean"

·
Registered
12,767 Posts
Sorry not an abberv. except I think the abbreviation only has one b when abbreviated, just easier to type out the word. Your choice post the way you want but obviously you are not communicating effectively if someone has to as what WP means, also might be noted you got no replies. Well except for replies saying "what did you mean"
Yeah, it is a generational shift. Not bad when used in context here (like CPS), then it is not that hard. If the discussion had been about whether to replace the WP when you do a thermostat, it probably would have made sense.

But, like everything else, YMMV! :)

Regards.
Jerry

·
Registered
938 Posts
Get off my lawn! :)

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Our waterpumps are generally good for 130-150k. Typically a bearing fails and you might start to get a drip from the weep hole. I think I replaced mine around 150k because it was growling pretty bad and pretty quickly. A day or so later it started dripping so I had to stop driving until the new pump came in. I bought OE (original) BMW and it has lasted another 130k so far. I might need to buy a spare soon!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Our waterpumps are generally good for 130-150k. Typically a bearing fails and you might start to get a drip from the weep hole. I think I replaced mine around 150k because it was growling pretty bad and pretty quickly. A day or so later it started dripping so I had to stop driving until the new pump came in. I bought OE (original) BMW and it has lasted another 130k so far. I might need to buy a spare soon!
Agreed, I don't think I have ever had a water pump catastrophically fail, though I have seen the weep turn into a gush pretty quickly.

I'm actually a little curious now, why do the M5's seem to have good water pump life but non M5 E39's have far more issues? Obviously the design is different somehow, just curious what the difference is?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, let's sum it up:
I posted a thread and I've used used abbreviation that needed explanation. One person asked and I've answered.
The thread would go in oblivion as it probably deserved but then you came in your shining armor full of tirade how the world is wrong and it's lazy and stupid to not type the full words etc..
Why not just ignore me? You're very valuable here and measly worm like me should just be ignored.
Anyway, GFY.

·
Registered
12,767 Posts
So, let's sum it up:
I posted a thread and I've used used abbreviation that needed explanation. One person asked and I've answered.
The thread would go in oblivion as it probably deserved but then you came in your shining armor full of tirade how the world is wrong and it's lazy and stupid to not type the full words etc..
Why not just ignore me? You're very valuable here and measly worm like me should just be ignored.
Anyway, GFY.
Some abbreviations may be susceptible to multiple interpretations, which is why they can be difficult to discern out of context.

In keeping with the M5board spirit of decorum and courtesy, Good For You? How kind...……………………… ;)

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some abbreviations may be susceptible to multiple interpretations, which is why they can be difficult to discern out of context.

In keeping with the M5board spirit of decorum and courtesy, Good For You? How kind...……………………… ;)

Regards,
Jerry
Exactly, that's what I meant. I try not to use offensive words such as stupid and lazy but apparently not all do.

·
Registered
12,767 Posts
Exactly, that's what I meant. I try not to use offensive words such as stupid and lazy but apparently not all do.
Well, lazy really not that offensive to most I would think. In context it was simply lack of effort to put down all the relevant information to make for a clear understanding across a written media.

As to stupid, that was not meant to be offensive; it was just an abbreviation: Susceptible To Unusual Personal Interpretations Directly! I am sure the original poster meant no offense. Just a bit lazy. :)

Just another illustration why it helps to write most things out! ;)

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
9,830 Posts
So, let's sum it up:
Anyway, GFY.
You are taking this to personally, and I clearly stated this was not to you but a general rant. It was never to you just a major complaint about how things are changing. I don't not reply to abbreviated posts, to not look stupid, not to be mean or keep info from people.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
12 Participants
ger
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing