BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, thanks guys for making the last seven months easier to get through. I picked up my car Friday. What a machine, it is like taking the wings off the jet I fly and driving the jet on the streets! Two days, two hundred miles, and numerous comments from "hey man, that is poetry in motion" to "dog that is the fattest car around", although I think that second guy spelt it dawg, and phattest, I sure he was a nice guy but I got out of there before he could get close enough to touch the car!
I hope to be able to get some photos up in the near future. Right now though it is time to get some rest before watching the Miami Heat take another one in New York!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Congrats Lear on the arrival!! Please post details. I will have mine (hopefully) in 4 months, we can have a S Fla Rally.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally chalked up two hundred grinful (is that a word?) miles. No squawks as of yet. I was originally going to go with Silverstone, my salesman pointed out that the ones he had seen were more of a light blue, something this board confirmed for me. In light of that I went with Titanium silver with the silverstone sport interior. I also had them tint the windows before I picked it up. MAN, this color combo is awesome. My only disappointment was they put the dealers license plate on the front bumper, despite the fact I had it written on the sales contract I did not want them to do that. Instead of ruining the delivery day I will call Monday to talk to the GM and find out when he wants me to bring it in so they can stick a new bumper on there. I had them pull the plate off, leaving two very unprofessionally drilled holes.
I have used the GPS and not found it to be slow, although I have not had any experience with the DVD systems.
The brake dust accumulation rate is pretty high. The wheels though have that dark look to the finish which makes it tough to see how dirty they really are. Despite this I have cleaned them every night since I got it! I used the zymol stuff, worked fine. I must check the previous messages about that diesel sound at idle, I definitely have that. My other to do item is getting a reservation for the Driving Experience sometime in August between semesters, anyone heading out there that time of year?
Hope everyone has been driving without those annoying blue & red lights in the rearview mirror,

SCTH

I put some pics up here, more to come:

http://photos.yahoo.com/syz_m5

marlin- not long now, great idea

that guy from ny- keep dreaming!

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
hi Lear,
how many % is the tint on the windows?
By the way, nice pics! Although the two holes in front DO look quite weird... =P
Terence

·
Registered
128 Posts
hey lear, i love your car. maybe that is because mine is titanium with silverstone interior, too! but i got the sunshades (which i really like) instead of tinting. i don't find the brake dust accumulation to be heavy at all, and it seems to me that my wheels are brighter than the earlier models i saw, as if bmw lightened them from the earlier cars. maybe that's just my perception, though. i hope you don't see those lights in your rearview, too. enjoy!
michael

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just stopping in for a pit stop, the body can only go so long without food. The plate cover was actually a Discount Auto Parts special, $2.99. It is just a smoked color piece of plastic, I am sure most auto parts stores have them. If you go to get one make sure it is not chipped as it is not very durable, but at that price who cares. I asked the sales guy what % tint it was, he had no clue only that it is the maximum they can legally do in Florida. He is going to check into it. As for the front bumper they proposed sticking the black trim from the side of the car along the front there to cover the holes. They must be smoking crack if they think that is acceptable!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Great Pics Lear! I ordered the same color combo. I ordered the chrome trim on the windows.

Did you get the metal trim inside?

Good luck with your awesome car!

·
Registered
722 Posts
re:
"My only disappointment was they put the dealers license plate on the front bumper, despite the fact I had it written on the sales contract I did not want them to do that. Instead of ruining the delivery day I will call Monday to talk to the GM and find out when he wants me to bring it in so they can stick a new bumper on there. I had them pull the plate off, leaving two very unprofessionally drilled holes."

I don't have an M5...yet, but I have a '97 540i. There are countries, and perhaps states, that require front license plates. Rather than subject their cars to "unprofessionally drilled holes" at the local dealers, BMW drills the holes, I imagine at the factory. There's a rubber strip that fits across the front bumper, obtainable in the parts department, which covers the holes. I suspect that the E39's you see without front plates have already had this strip applied at the point of sale. Try it; you'll like it.

Richard

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
rsteele,
not true. My dealer asked if I wanted them to drill the holes. I said no and have no holes. It IS the law to have one but I had the front plate from euro delivery on my E39 540-6spd for 3 years without any prolben in N. Cal. (I hope this doesn't jinx it!)

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well 500 miles on the odometer, and man I still can't believe how strong that car is. An update on the bumper. My salesman also suggested the black strip mentioned by rsteele, the only problem is that on the m5 the bumper is a little different to a regular 5 series. Too hard to explain here but it doesn't fit, take a look when at the dealer next time and you will see. The next bright idea was hey, if you don't want the dealer tag we can get you a ///M tag from the store, some people just don't get it. I didn't want anything on the bumper, period. Right now they are proposing the body shop take it for two days and fill the screw holes and repaint it. I am thinking about it, I think it will work, and much less hassle than a new bumper, what do you guys think? Off on a roadtrip for the weekend, of course in the M5, this should put me over the 1200 mark.

·
Banned
96 Posts
I've seen dozens of cars here in New York City with New York State license plates just in back, not in front as well as is required by law, yet it doesn't seem to have caused them any difficulty, nor do I ever see any tickets on their windshields or cops pulling them over. I would have to guess that that just probably isn't that big of an issue for someone to get involved in. If you can get away with it, go for it, but I would carry the plate somewhere in the car in case you get pulled over so that you can say you're going to the dealership right now to have it "professionally installed" and avoid getting that $100 ticket.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts