BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some sort of immobiliser thing going on maybe...
It was fine til i switched the engine off. Then I had 10 mins to wait for a friend (female of course.. just to make matters worse) so i decided to set the obc clock.. On my old e28 M535ise, this was a combination of key position and setting the time on the obc... so i did that..... The engine wont turn over now..
Ive tried leaving the car for up to 1.5 hours and it still doesn't start.

The AA man arced a spanner accross the starter motor and it spun ok leading me to suspect some immobiliser or something.... (very crude bit of testing I thought)
The obc does not at any time say CODE so i don't think its that one.. but it has a BMW alarm fitted (seems to still work ok) and a 'CENTURION' immobiliser with a red proximity fob and a black proximity fob. I suspect the centurion system but according to the instructions.. I couldn't have entered the programming mode with the black fob anyway (only possibility is that i erased the codes for the prox sensors........ which i couldnt do without the red fob.....)

I'll look into it further tomorrow...

It's in my bad books tonght... grrr....

Wheres the 'exploding M5' smiley

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok... it's not the immobiliser or alarm systems .....bugger....

Looks like my first real fault.... 5 days... is that a record for these beasties haha...

Out with the multimeter tomorrow and back to the 730i tonight..... I'm liking the 730 more and more....

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Ratty said:
Ok... it's not the immobiliser or alarm systems .....bugger....

Looks like my first real fault.... 5 days... is that a record for these beasties haha...

Out with the multimeter tomorrow and back to the 730i tonight..... I'm liking the 730 more and more....

If you are sure it is not the immobiliser then I don't think I can help but if not 100% then I would suggest disconnecting the battery then waiting for slightly longer than 15 minutes ( an accidently entered code will have erased itself ) and reconnecting. Car should then start. It happened to me at the American Car Wash in Poole when some meathead managed to bugger up the immobiliser.

Best of luck anyway.

:cheers:

ralph (vadas1)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Ralph,

It's not the immobilisers sadly..

I disconnected for half hour and reconnected ... waited for 15mins even though the OBC immobiliser wasn't doing the 15 min countdown, tried again.. all idiot lights on but no starter motor an no dimming of idiot lights at all.

When I removed the Centurion proximity device from the keyring, it immobilised differently... NO idiot lights at all, when i reintroduced the device, all the lights came on...

Looking more like a fault. I'll check the ignition switch for voltage next.. when it's not raining so hard.... Lucky it's on a 5000 mile classic policy haha.. I'll save me miles for the summer this way hiha

·
Registered
609 Posts
Ratty,

Does the engine turn when trying to start? If it does perhaps your fuel pump or fuel pump relay has died.

·
Registered
757 Posts
WylM5 said:
Ratty,

Does the engine turn when trying to start? If it does perhaps your fuel pump or fuel pump relay has died.
I'm wondering if there is a seperate fuse just for the starter, can't be that simple, can it?

Have you tried "bump-starting" the car, just to see if it is only the starter that is not turning, ie. to test that fuel pump and igntion/control etc are all fine?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Wml, No the starter motor doesnt get any 12V feed to it,

I can hear a relay slowly clicking when the ign is on though, but at 3 second intervals, an I think it's probably a fuel pump relay...

PS.. I'd rather be in Hawaii too... It's pouring down here :M5launch:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Plisken,

Checked all fuses visually and wobbled all relays under the bonnet to no avail. Haven't tried bump start yet but i'll try it before I go to the garage.
I'm an electronic and computer engineer so I'm always interested in investigating electrical problems myself, and i'd like to get to know this car much better. Hopefully I'll be able to use what i learn to help others on here too..

Cheers everyone.. It's a pleasure having you guys to chat to..

I can't believe some of the mad cars on here... a 4.6L Alpina 3 series, a supercharged e34 M5... has me laughing and wishing I could afford to play with those toys too haha

Good forum, thanks everyone ;)

JR

·
Registered
687 Posts
plisken said:
I'm wondering if there is a seperate fuse just for the starter, can't be that simple, can it?
There is.
It is located under the rearseat, near the battery.

Let me know if you find it, or i can make a photo of its location.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I had a similar problem sadly in a previous car, and it turned out to be simply a weak battery.. Had enough juice to put lights on and stuff, but not enought to turn over. Replaced battery.. no more problems.. Worth trying for the cost of a battery..

cheers
dmc

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Again, thanks for the advice, I just checked the fuse by the battery (large strip fuse) and it's intact.....cast a meter over all other exposed fuses and all seem ok.

I'm getting the BMW cd set which apparently has some useful diagnostics for M5s as well as wiring diagrams.

I tried to remove the steering wheel lower cowling but it seemed stuck at the steering wheell end, so I haven't got full access to the dash and column wiring yet.

Seems my nearest recommended garage is 40 miles away so thats looking like my next little hassle...

But I forgive it, for it is an M5......

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ratty,

The steering column lower cover is just clipped in place with the clips being built into the lower cover itself.. you have to wriggle it a bit and it should come off,then release the steering wheel lever to allow you to slide the bottom cover off
also you will find that the ignition switch surround may drop off as your removing the cover you will then probable have to remove the under dash cover screws to continue....

Andy S

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: It's mended :) My new toy....

Thanks for all your help everyone.

I had the autoelectrician look over the loom for 2 hours and he said he found a very poorly crimped wire from the immobiliser to somewhere (?) (Recrimped)... also said the alarm module under the rear seat (?) was cracked and damaged (wasnt when i looked during the my recent diagnosis, so i reckon he broke it) and when i picked it up, the engine didn't turn over but the starter did go 'Dagadagadag' indicating not enough voltage/current from the battery..... much more likely, so I replaced the battery and so far have had no more problems....

Conclusion, if the immobiliser wire actually happened, it was £70 well spent...... if not... £70 wasted....

Don't really care cos it's back an it's scary :) :M5launch:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Re: It's mended :) My new toy....

Don't really care cos it's back an it's scary :) :M5launch:[/QUOTE]

HAHAHA! That´s funny! I´ll try to use that line whenever I can.

:cheers:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts