BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some part of me is wishing I had bought something else lately!!

After parting with just over 3 grand in various jobs since Novemeber, I feel something else is now a miss!!!

I had my ins 2 performed a couple of weeks back. While doing the work it was reported that an oil pipe, both front suspension strut bushes, the propshaft coupling, both front track rod end all needed replacing.

£1650 quid i have the car back.

Now - 11 days later, I have low oil warning message and the clutch is slipping so badly, i have been advised (cheers Darren) not drive the thing anymore, encase something major goes wrong!!!

I'm just looking back over my ins2 receipt and one item on there says
"Front timing cover gaskets leaking" - i'm assuming this is causing my oil issues??
What would be involved in sorting this? Could / should it have been fixed while the oil pipe (the one near the manifold that takes 3 hours labour to change!).

i have also just noticed "all v belts showing signs of cracking". What are these and should these have been sorted???

There is going to be a point soon, when the novelty factor of shelling out thousands of pounds on this car, is going to stop.....

Sorry for the rant, but I had to drive my wife's 2.3 Galaxy Auto in to work today!!!!!

Steve

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, forgot to mention that the servotronic ECU is still on order and BMW germany have none!!!

So, until that arrives, even with everything else fixed, driving it is still a horrible experience....

I get more feeling through the Galaxy's steering at the moment! !

Steve

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
V-Belts should have been changed every two years or so with the Inspection 2 anyway says my local independant.

Oil cover gasket leaks are common on these cars. Smoetime just a *small* tightening of the bolts will do, otherwise leave it until you need timing chains or engine out job.

An oil leak from here will occur simply from age, also from using oil too thin. Remember a weigfht of 0sw-whatever is too thin, recommend 10sw or 15sw-whatever. A good 10sw40 or 15sw40 should be fine.

Oviously it should not be leaking loads, as in drip-drip-drip, big patch overnight, but an occasional drop and dirt and oil around the gasket is surprising common on most 3.6 cars and the "rougher" of the 3,8s.

Therefore also worth cheaking yourself whether the oil pipe is corroded or definately faulty.

Low oil warning is B A D !!
Have you checked the level? It may just be the sensor. If low, make sure you fill it up and monitor it to tell whether a major leak or just low.

Front suspension takes a bashin, so always expect bushes and rods etc to need doing on the front. Your service history should tell you when or if they were done in the past.

Your service history should show how many miles the clutch has done. I`ve not yet (!) killed the M5s clutch, but when the 535i one went, I literally got 2 to 3 miles of grinding as the throwout bearing died, and 2 miles to the garage.

If it slips, don`t drive it more than (survey says) 20-50miles, otherwise the unit may disintegrate and damage the flywheel assembly, which means $$$.

Propshaft donut is every 100,000miles or so?

Hope this helps.

Ivan.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Steve
All I can say is "we understand"
Front end accessory drive belts should have been changed at insp2.
Stealerships, oh & ML are very good at charging for a full on insp2 & not doing half of it including shims , as it is a time consuming job.
The belts concern me as just one of those letting go means no alternator charge & no waterpump.. I had my water pump / alternator belt (THAT ML WERE SUPPOSED TO HAVE CHANGED) let go. Lucky for me that I was cruising on acold evening & saw the battery warning light & water temp start to rise. I stopped & the AA bailed me out.

Front timing cover is completely separate issue from oil air rtn pipe under intake.

There are two schools of thought with regard sealing of the frt timing cover.
Some have problems with sealling the top of the over where it abuts the head. You are then into removing the head with consequent new head gasket & fasteners to ensure a good seal to the cover.

I & most others have had the front cover off a couple of times & had no issues with sealing.

My only advice to you would be to limit your visits to main stealers & go to PMW in Chlemsford. They can do anything & can set up the suspension geometry to perfection as well.
The jobs are done & they are done right. No BS or excuses.
£45 sterling per hour is quite a difference too.

For what its worth anyway.

Regards
Farrell

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
farrell said:
Steve
All I can say is "we understand"
Front end accessory drive belts should have been changed at insp2.
Stealerships, oh & ML are very good at charging for a full on insp2 & not doing half of it including shims , as it is a time consuming job.
The belts concern me as just one of those letting go means no alternator charge & no waterpump.. I had my water pump / alternator belt (THAT ML WERE SUPPOSED TO HAVE CHANGED) let go. Lucky for me that I was cruising on acold evening & saw the battery warning light & water temp start to rise. I stopped & the AA bailed me out.

Front timing cover is completely separate issue from oil air rtn pipe under intake.

There are two schools of thought with regard sealing of the frt timing cover.
Some have problems with sealling the top of the over where it abuts the head. You are then into removing the head with consequent new head gasket & fasteners to ensure a good seal to the cover.

I & most others have had the front cover off a couple of times & had no issues with sealing.

My only advice to you would be to limit your visits to main stealers & go to PMW in Chlemsford. They can do anything & can set up the suspension geometry to perfection as well.
The jobs are done & they are done right. No BS or excuses.
£45 sterling per hour is quite a difference too.

For what its worth anyway.

Regards
Farrell
Farrell,

I am waiting for Peter to call me when he gets in, as we speak mate!!
Was on the blower to PMW at 9am!!!

I'll get him to look for things that should have been done for the ins 2 and re-check the geometry as the thing still pulls left!!!. If they have not been done, then Matt @ Birds (who also reads this board), you shall be getting a call from me...

Steve

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
hertfordshire1 said:
Farrell,

I am waiting for Peter to call me when he gets in, as we speak mate!!
Was on the blower to PMW at 9am!!!

I'll get him to look for things that should have been done for the ins 2 and re-check the geometry as the thing still pulls left!!!. If they have not been done, then Matt @ Birds (who also reads this board), you shall be getting a call from me...

Steve
Oh dear sorry I cannot offer anything but sympathy at present.

I hope you get it fixed soon and get back to enjoying the car.

Simon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts