BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 16x9 screen off an X5 and installed it in my M5 the other day, everytthing plugs in and lights up, but I am having problems viewing the screen. It seems very wahsed out when I look at the screen from the normal seating position, but when I tilt my head down and view the screen from a lower angle it looks perfect (or when I tilt the face down to get to the tape drive) Is this because it's an X5 screen and the optics are diffferent? or is there something wrong with the screen? is there something that can be adjusted and set to correct this? thanks for your help!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, no sun glasses, it's looks very wahed out and faded when it's viewed form the normal seating position, but if I lower my head down look at the screen dead on, it looks fine, also when I tilt the screen down for access to tape player the angle it makes with my eyes makes it look fine. Not sure if that's because it's an X5 unit, or is thre just something wrong with it, thanks.

jordantii said:
Is this with sunglasses??

Jordan

·
Registered
158 Posts
MAD KAO said:
No, no sun glasses, it's looks very wahed out and faded when it's viewed form the normal seating position, but if I lower my head down look at the screen dead on, it looks fine, also when I tilt the screen down for access to tape player the angle it makes with my eyes makes it look fine. Not sure if that's because it's an X5 unit, or is thre just something wrong with it, thanks.
Hmm...<br>I just installed a 16:9 in my '00 M5. I believe the backlight in my screen failed, which leads to similar problems to yours. You mention not seeing it head on, but that you can read it when tilted. How about when there is no ambient light in the cabin?<br><br>I can see the screen elements on my screen when ambient light is reflecting off of it properly, but see nothing in a dark garage, for instance. <br><br>
Does this sound familiar? <br><br>Chris

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
you try the contrast and brightness adjustments?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried maxing out the brightness and contrast but that's not the issue, and didn't help. I can still see the screeni n dark places, it looks the same, wahed out faded look, but when I tilt the screen down or when I get my eye level even with the screen it looks fine. Someone else suggested unplugging the nav DVD unit for 15 secs, what else can I try?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Interesting info from thread on NAV group buy, maybe your answer?

Re: NAV GROUP BUY PARTICIPANTS......
<HR style="COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Do make sure you order the E39 widescreens' and NOT the X5 - because despite everybody saying its the same it is NOT !!!

The E39 and X5 have different viewing angles and hence different part numbers... I ended up being sent an X5 one from Bimmernav, who has since gone bust - and therefore I am sitting here trying to source an E39 monitor unit...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts