BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

My alternator died and the dealership wants to charge me $1500 bucks and have me wait 3 weeks for backorder. So now I'm looking into doing it myself.

I found remanufactured ones on eBay for about $350, and I also saw this post in the big DIY thread: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/191354-alternator-diy.html

I'm just curious if this video of going in through the top of the engine instead of under it would also work for the M5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrMsHgRAr6A

Has anyone tried to get at their alternator this way? It would be a lot more convenient for me to just remove the airbox rather than work under the car if I decide to do this myself.

On a related topic, is this something that's fairly easy for a guy willing to try, or should I think about having it professionally done?

Thanks!

Registered
Go look at where the alternator is on your car then try to tell me you want to remove it from the top! :eek:

The alternators on our cars are located towards the bottom of the engine, thats why we remove them from the bottom. Same location as M60/M62.

Registered

Registered
Not a bad job at all. Like everyone is saying, do it from the bottom.

I loosened the power steering pump bracket and it made things a lot easier. Definitely do not pay $1500 for a job that shouldn't take you but an afternoon under the car at most.

Registered
02' Carbon Black M5 & 11' Alpine White 335D M Sport
+1 from the bottom...

I used ramps and had it out in under an hr for a regulator change.

Happy to lend a hand or a tool if you need.

Reactions: Pzycho

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How did you know it just needed a regulator change rather than a full replacement?

I'm just going on what the dealer told me. The reason I'm at the dealer in the first place is that my car completely lost power on the freeway without warning (not even a battery warning), so I had to pick a place to tow it straight away.

And thanks for all the advice everyone.

Registered
Whatever you do, make sure to disconnect the negative battery terminal first! Getting jolted by 12V @ ? Amp was not pleasant, the ratcheting end of my box wrench was welded shut from the spark and I have a burn mark on my arm to prove it. In all, not a bad job.

Registered
I think there is one episode of UK TV show "Wheeler Dealers" available in YouTube where they change the alternator bearings for E39 M5. They had a lift but it shows the steps.

Reactions: absolutegtr

Registered
02' Carbon Black M5 & 11' Alpine White 335D M Sport
How did you know it just needed a regulator change rather than a full replacement?

I'm just going on what the dealer told me. The reason I'm at the dealer in the first place is that my car completely lost power on the freeway without warning (not even a battery warning), so I had to pick a place to tow it straight away.

And thanks for all the advice everyone.
I was, and still am
chasing a voltage fluctuation at idle. My alt is a bmw reman from 2008 and the new Bosch regulator made no change. You're welcome to the oem regulator If you'd like to give it try.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.