BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as embarassing enough as it is to admit that I paid the $tealer to change my oil, I came back to me car to find they took my beast for a nice "test" drive, to the point where my 10.2 MPG average over the last 50-60 miles was down to 8.2. Not to mention the black on the rear of my exhaust pipes and drop in the fuel tank. I'm estimating a 10-15 mile trip. Is this common for those who have had their oil changed by the $tealer? I paid close to $250 for this damn oil change and I'm pissed that someone took my beast for a joy ride!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
They do it in mine too. I dont think of it as a test drive, but more as a reward for the tech that changes the oil.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Did you actually note the mileage difference from before and after pick up? A lot of times the car is left running when it is going through wash or inside the shop and on these M5s it consumes it a ridiculous amount just idling. I've used a quarter of tank when mine was in for warranty work.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
The oil change price seems about right. 10 quarts of oil @ $15 each, $24 oil filter kit, multi-purpose solvent, labor, tax...my last oil change cost about the same actually. Most of that cost comes from the 10 quarts of oil.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I noted the mileage. I guess it's possible they had to warm up the oil. Its more of an annoyance to me since I knew a guy that used to work there as a mechanic are he told me how they would take the new cars for a rip when they were offloaded from the 18 wheelers.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I put maybe 1000 miles/yr on my beast. This will be my 3rd summer as the second owner and I've only put 3000 miles on the beast. Given the low mileage do I need to change the oil when the computer says so? Does the computer track oil usage by time or mileage or both?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Sorry, maybe I should clarify that the pricing I mentioned above was my from Indy, not a dealership.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
We have a special here at the Santa Rosa dealership, they charge only $140 for an oil change so pretty much at cost.

Stevens Creek took mine for a spin while I was there (they did not know), caught the guy drifting around the back of the parking lot which is when I told the SA and they did not charge me for the oil change, now I do it either myself or at my indy shop.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
We have a special here at the Santa Rosa dealership, they charge only $140 for an oil change so pretty much at cost.

Stevens Creek took mine for a spin while I was there (they did not know), caught the guy drifting around the back of the parking lot which is when I told the SA and they did not charge me for the oil change, now I do it either myself or at my indy shop.
Holy S*!T Paul drifting? I think I'd lose it if I saw someone doing that to my car.. I'd have BMW pay for my oil changes for life LOL.

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
Holy S*!T Paul drifting? I think I'd lose it if I saw someone doing that to my car.. I'd have BMW pay for my oil changes for life LOL.
I stayed calm and as he pulled up to the drop off area and got out with a smile on his face, I said did you enjoy the ride and he said oh yeah not realizing it was my car.

A shame Aaron no longer works there as he was the only SA I would go to.....mod friendly too.

·
2,149 Posts
Indy or myself only... Even while i was underr warranty and free maintenance, i let them do a oil change once and they overfilled it, i did it on my own after that.. The filling capacity is different from 06 and 08+ cars because of the second drain, most dealer dont know this and most dealers dont even know about the second drain..

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea I would absolutely lose it if I found them beating my car like that. Only I get to do that lol

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Might not be too bad of a thing... sometimes an air bubble can get tapped in the system and take a while to work through.
How many of us have changed our oil, drove a few miles and noticed the oil level changed by .5 liters (or so).
On the bright side, maybe they just made sure the oil was refilled to the proper level... ...yeah right.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Yes it is typical. Did you read about the grease monkey that crashed a customers Ferrari enzo in CT the other day.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I just did my first DIY oil change today, and I had to drive about 20 freeway miles until the electronic dipstick registered the new oil level. I guess there's a quick measurement, but I just drove until the new reading clicked in. Prior to that, the display indicated -.- meaning oil measurement not possible. Not saying that's what the dealerships/indy's do, though.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
There is no driving of the car needed after a oil change. If you are concerned about over or under filling, just add as much as you take out + whatever it's required to bring it to 1.0. Don't understand why this is so complicated to some. As far as someone else changing the oil in my car, I would never give that joy to someone else.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Yes, your car will be beat on. Do the oil change yourself. It is easy to do and will save you about $150. Take your car to a dealer only when absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
There is no driving of the car needed after a oil change. If you are concerned about over or under filling, just add as much as you take out + whatever it's required to bring it to 1.0. Don't understand why this is so complicated to some. As far as someone else changing the oil in my car, I would never give that joy to someone else.
Just curious, do you think everyone who does oil changes really measures exactly how much is drained? It's either into a main shop oil drain or a pan in someone's garage. Are you going to start filling up gallon jugs from your drain pan to see how much was really drained? Down to the 10th of a quart? Highly doubt it.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Just curious, do you think everyone who does oil changes really measures exactly how much is drained? It's either into a main shop oil drain or a pan in someone's garage. Are you going to start filling up gallon jugs from your drain pan to see how much was really drained? Down to the 10th of a quart? Highly doubt it.
I dont do this, im saying this to people that are worried of putting the correct amount of oil in.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts