• Part it out. You could make $10K!

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fellow S85 owners,

Allow me to share my brief experience as an M6 owner. About a month ago I was performing my usual Craigslist and Facebook probing when I came across something special, a 2008 BMW M6 in Indianapolis Red (SMG).

2008 is of course the first year of LCI for the M6. Most of you know that Indy Red is a rare color, but I was surprised to see it only accounts for ~3% of total M6 production. LCI models are also uncommon, only 30% of total E63 M6 production. That makes an LCI Indy Red M6 1 of only 34 and 1 of 124 total M6 in IR. Interestingly, if you find an Indy Red M6 with the 6MT, keep it, because it’s a 1 of about 10 and only 3 with LCI, according to my estimates.

So, because of the rarity, and that I find the color absolutely stunning, I bought it. Being a self made millennial in an inflationary economic environment, I don’t have the minimum $17K cash to shell out on a decently clean example. By the way, that’s still a fine price for a car with a V10 and an MSRP north of $100K.

So I did what any young aspiring S85 owner would do, I bought a non-running, as-is M6 with 123K miles, sight unseen. Oh and it was in San Francisco, and I live in Denver. Price listed was $10K. Seller came down to $6K. Sold!

Based on his account of the car shutting off and leaving him stranded, I felt okay taking a chance on it. He said there were no weird noises when this happened and it was at 30 MPH. Maybe I was convincing myself it wasn’t anything too bad. Surely not a spun rod bearing?

In hind sight, I should have had a mobile mechanic jack it up and inspect. Next time. I had it shipped to Denver for $1,700 (ouch). We rolled it onto the lot and I sat in the driver seat grinning ear to ear.

And today I got the news that there is a hole in the engine block the size of a my fist. Somebody break my fall. What a gut punch. I can’t recall a worse experience as a BMW enthusiast. I was crossing my fingers for oil cooler, vanos, even a spun bearing with a salvageable block and crankshaft. Nope.

Troy Jeup suspects an incorrectly torqued rod bolt from a poor rod bearing job. Mechanic says it lost oil pressure. Neighbor thinks somebody “drove that car f**king hard!”. Either way, the pile of metal that rained down from the protective panels could have caused injuries. A rod completely blasted it’s way through the damn engine block. Seeing it for myself made me feel better for some reason. Maybe that’s because other than a giant hole in my engine, the car is gorgeous. I really don’t want to kill her.

Hoping for better days ahead as I sort this out. What do you guys think of my situation? I’m bullish on E60/E63 M car collectibility in the coming years. Low production, V10, non-turbo, the list goes on for why these cars are likely going to climb in value. The M6 is particularly intriguing. Only 3,887 of these cars (coupes) ever existed in the States. I don’t even care that it blew itself up, I freaking love it. Okay, that’s all for now.
Artifact Sculpture Art Symbol Font

Automotive tire Vehicle brake Motor vehicle Locking hubs Automotive exterior

Automotive parking light Tire Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Sky

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Vehicle

Car Vehicle Automotive parking light Land vehicle Photograph

Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Speedometer

Wheel Tire Car Sky Vehicle

·
Registered
573 Posts
I see a shortblock in your future!

Good news is that you got the car for a pretty good price, so realistically if you can afford the time to scout out a shortblock, you should be able to get back in business for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see a shortblock in your future!

Good news is that you got the car for a pretty good price, so realistically if you can afford the time to scout out a shortblock, you should be able to get back in business for a reasonable price.
Thanks. I think even if I had known the engine was toast, I still may have purchased it. I'm excited for the re-build.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Yeah, just sucks that you can't salvage the block and rotating assembly, or it would have been a better deal.

If you can find a decent donor engine, maybe you have a sweet coffee table?

·
Registered
193 Posts
"He said there were no weird noises when this happened"

What he really meant was the sound of a rod going through a block was not a weird noise to HIM.

The smart move is parting it out and trying again.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Well....look at it this way - you bought a rare spec M6 that needs new motor for +/- 8k. Not bad. Rebuild or drop a new motor in it and enjoy.

Reactions: Hemlock

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Hi guys. I was driving my 2008 M6 with 123K miles the other day at about 30 MPH when suddenly I lost oil pressure and the motor cut off. When I got out to look underneath I noticed a slow, consistent oil leak on the passenger (right) side of the motor near the wheel well. The car did turn over one more time but I towed it from there and it's been sitting ever since. I have an offer from a local guy who will buy it for $8K. I paid $20,000 for it. Should I sell it or try to fix? Can it be salvaged. I am a little afraid of this car. Help and advice appreciated!
See where the leak is coming from, you need to use ISTA or INPA to see the oil quantity in mm before you start it up again to check for leak. Full oil quantity is around 63 mm using the software. Gain good access around the suspect area clean and start it if the leak is not evident.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Hmmm, I guess there is more to the story here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Interesting... I was wondering why the car was idling in the OP's 2nd to last interior picture, if the motor was already blown when he took delivery?! lol....

It is really odd that the motor blew the rod out of the block that bad when it was only going 30mph? (Unless he was accelerating quickly in first gear?)

That seems like a clean LCI M6 though (other then the motor block), that color is my favorite of the M6's.

At this point its truly only up to you (time and funds) if you wanna rebuild/swap the motor, or just sell it. No one else can make that choice, but you. If you got the funds and a good mechanic to fix it correctly and want to do it, go for it.

·
Registered
01 M5, 03 M3
99 Posts
I feel like this shell would be worth rebuilding if and only if it is going to be EASY for you to afford financially. Your wallet will be the determining factor. Projects like this can spiral out of control cost wise so if you are not prepared there's zero shame in handing it off to someone who is.

Nice color, overall great condition. I can't remember how expensive the conversion is but perhaps a manual swap while the engine is out? Best time to do it haha.

·
Registered
111 Posts
For whatever it takes... go for the 6 speed conversion. May run several $$$, will ruin the "collectability" value of the car because it is no longer original (but 1000% more reliable, enjoyable).

·
Registered
573 Posts
For whatever it takes... go for the 6 speed conversion. May run several $$$, will ruin the "collectability" value of the car because it is no longer original (but 1000% more reliable, enjoyable).
I mean, the car will have an engine swap already, so it’s not going to be numbers matching Barrett Jackson anymore. I think the market is already preferring a clean 6 speed swap based on the rumors I hear?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sour grapes ??

I even made it a point of getting my wife an Infiniti G35 Sedan with the 6 speed... YES, they made those. And they were great 4 door sedans with the same V6 and tranny from their sportier 2 door G35 Coupe and Nissan 350 Z models. The only automatic tranny in our garage right now is my wife's Escalade. Go ahead and relish the SMG. Save the cost of the conversion.

I meant to say: BMW messed up the SMG design the same way Porsche messed up the early 911 with 4 wheel drive, making the 944 oil cooler water-cooled, Audi R8 and BMW SMG making the single clutch tranny, Ferrari coming up with their (in)famous Valeo F1 tranny for the 355. All automakers make mistakes. They corrected them. In BMW case, it's called DUAL clutch tranny.

Yes, new dual clutch (7 clutch trannys if we're talking Koenigsegg) may be the way of the future, except I was born in 1954, LOVE a 3 pedal manual arrangement.
To each his own. I will respect your opinions on the SMG.

Back to the discussion topic, The BMW SMG was notoriously trouble prone. The ZF GS 6-37 BZ 6 speed was, and still is, regarded as one of he sweetest smoothest shifting trannys of all time.
You take your pick and deal with it. And they're out there on sale right now. Hurry up. Very respectfully...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Appreciate all the quality info jvsantosmd. I was born in 1988 and also LOVE a manual. I even made a point to buy myself a Nissan Xterra 4 x 4 in a manual with a factory supercharger. My father also owns a 2010 M5 with the same ZF GS 6-37 BZ 6, so I have some experience with how that felt. Yes, it was amazing, but is that transmission not a bit "notchy" and not exactly designed for the S85? I have heard enough feedback regarding it being mismatched that I am ready to embrace something different. I have heard good things about the SMG when put into the fastest shift mode snd traction control off. Although, now would be the time to do a 6MT swap as I plan to remove the engine and rebuild a new motor. I don't doubt that it would add value to the car also….

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow that was bad! I feel your pain, been in a similar position but not as brutal as yours. I opted to have a complete rebuild lol ! has not been an easy ride to be honest and its not over yet haha!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts