BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This car is well known in Australia and genuine. I'm sure a call to ML would produce a photo of the VIN if necessary.

·
Registered
940 Posts
According to ML's website, this car is currently under offer.

Reactions: davidoli

·
Registered
940 Posts
Thanks for the update, Bob.

I guess that makes the answer to this thread's title, a great big YES!

Look forward to reading the article.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Bob's article was worth waiting for - a good read and nice pics to go with it.
BMW Car Magazine: Essential reading for all fans of this great marque.

A real pity that ML have taken it upon themselves to deface and (IMO) devalue the car already, by removing the SA-specific front reflectors.
They are a small, but not insignificant part of the SA-built M5's signature look and without them the car is incomplete.
Shame on you, ML for showing such blatant disregard for this beautiful machine's heritage and originality - it's sacrilegious, to say the least.
Strong words I know, but a car of this condition, rarity and value should not be tampered with in any way!

I wish BMW Classic had bought it for their collection, when they had the chance two years ago.
It would have been kept original and pristine for all to enjoy in years to come.

Attachments

Reactions: raymondw

·
Registered
516 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the reflectors. There is worse to come!!

The guy that bought it is taking the M Technic kit off and putting regular bumpers on it, and is going to use it as a daily driver.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I'd also heard this Nick, but was waiting till it was confirmed before venting my spleen any further!
I can't believe ML could possibly condone such mindless desecration of a truly unique and historically important BMW.
It's nothing short of vandalism, IMO:Thumbdown:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Munich legends are a car dealer, not a museum. We prep cars for the customers who buy the cars, on the customers instruction. Ultimately it is the owner who decides how their car should look and Munich Legends aren't the owner.

Regardless of our stand point, the reflectors were not removed by us and were not fitted upon the cars arrival at ML. I personally witnessed this myself and i also did all of the sales prep work on the car.

Also, you will be pleased to know that the customer has decided not to remove the M technic body kit and i doubt very much it will be used as a "daily" considering the other cars the owner owns.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Hi Barry,

The car was the topic of a thread on another car forum. The new owner chimed in and mentioned that he was taking the body kit off. He also said that the car was going to be "driven plenty and hard, rain or shine" so I guess my description of "daily driver" was perhaps not completely accurate. I had a vague memory of reading the thread.

I am glad to hear that the owner has seen sense and decided not to take the body kit off and ruin the originality of such a special car. I know
that it is not as easy as taking the kit off and fitting bumpers, it's a little more complicated than that.

The new owner has paid a lot of money for the car and should be allowed to enjoy it however he sees fit. I guess with a time warp car like this, you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. One camp thinks it should be kept under a blanket and not driven, while others think it is a travesty not to drive and enjoy such a fine car.

Anyway, I wish the new owner the best of luck with his new purchase.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I personally thought the guy was nuts for even considering removing the kit despite me preferring the look of an un kitted car but it's his car, his choice.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Good news, then.

Maybe the port workers or a shipping agent have souvenired the reflectors - replacements for these will be like unobtanium.

The car was both driven regularly and kept in mint condition by her previous Australian owner - definitely not kept under a blanket and never used.
Hopefully the next keeper will do the same - she was born to be driven, but at the same time such a rare and unique car also deserves to be pampered and preserved in its original condition, IMHO.:M5thumbs:

·
Registered
940 Posts
Forgive my ignorance, but why is this one unique?
Because it is the best E28 M5 on the planet.
You simply won't see another like it....I can attest to this as I saw it when it came to NZ for the BMW festival in 2012.
As stated throughout Bob's article, the car's condition really is astounding - and no, it's not a restoration, just a pure and pristine, exceptionally original M5.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts