BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I was going to see jgfabs and get the jack point repaired. Arrived about 9:30am

So, up on the ramp (which prooved a little tricky without a full array of jacking points) and we could take a look at what we were working with

Hmmmmm

Oh dear :(

So I took the oppertunity to take some pictures of the other rust under the car

Meanwhile, Jim had a good look at the sill.

And it was at this point that the bad news came. I felt the condition of the sill was quite bad as I'd had a good look under the car whilst scraping away the rust 9 months ago but Jim confirmed that in this area, its too bad to do a simple plate repair and the fuel tank will have to come out in order to cut out some of the inner sill and repair that too.

Such a job is more complicated (bumper, exhaust, prop and fuel tank off) and thus returns me to my original prediciment of fixing it or breaking it.

On the one hand it sits on the drive most of the time un-used but then I've driven it around today and it felt great.

Anyway, off to console myself so this was just to update.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Sorry to hear. What is the estimated cost for repair?

·
Registered
8,723 Posts
Dropping the fuel tank is really not that big a deal. I would hate to see a Beast put down just because of the rust pictured. Not really bad. Take a look at some late 60s muscle cars that have been out in the rain sometime. Whew! Yet they get fixed or even restored and driven on. So it should be with your Beast.

--Peter

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is rust on

Half the shadow trim (not really rust but corrosion)
All 4 jacking points, this is just the worst
2 of the doors have corrosion on the bottom
The sills have spot corrosion all along the outside of them
The boot has corrision in 7 seperate places
There is corrosion on the chassis panel below the boot
Minor rust on the bonnet
Various areas under the car including the brake lines show heavy corrosion.

All can be fixed but its probably cheaper to break it and buy another but I'm quite attached to the car.

Anyway, I don't want to bore people with going back and forth over a decision but I do suggest other M5 owners check their cars and protect them against this happening.

·
Registered
567 Posts
yikes! That's a tough call. Its all fixable, but.....
Is the car even salable in the UK with that rust? You have vehicle inspections, right?
Another idea would be to spend a few days under the car, doing some dismantling and cleaning/painting of whatever you can get too. Have your friend fix the sills and then just start scrubbing/brushing and painting. You could clean it up under there a whole bunch with some effort. Keep in mind the hours you'll spend taking parts off the car if you break it up.

how's everything else? snow is trying to melt here, but beast is in the garage for at least another month.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Thanks,

You prompted me to check mine, on the face of it the jacking points were fine. But when i removed them there was a significant amount of surface rust.

Thanks to you all was needed was a good rub down and respray. I also took the opportunity to have some oher paintwork done so she is now nearly at A1 condition.

I just now want to purchase an orbital polisher and cure all the swirls and hollograms!

I dont suppose there is anyone on here with one around the Midlands to give be a brief tutorial?

Steve

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its nice to know that another car is saved from it getting so bad. I'll still be doing that 'rust' post in a few weeks so people can check theirs properly. The advantage of having a shell with such extensive rust is I can demonstrate whats behind the paint and how the panels can bend and distort.

Stay tuned...

·
Registered
574 Posts
Probably cheaper to buy another car. As you all know, once you open up panels that show rust, there's going to be a lot more on the inside. Especially in these sills! Rocker panels have always known to rust from the inside out.

Now, if you can do it yourself, it can be done rather cheaply and easily(in relative terms) in the us. Sorry this doesn't apply to this thread exactly. But...it takes a ton of work and searching. For example the doors, just need to find a parts car. Most people don't really need the doors(200.00 a piece), so there seems to be plenty of them out there. Rocker panels, sills, same idea(300.00 a piece). The boot, if its the lid, there is one advertised for sale now for 250.00. The bonnet, I have seen them for sale from 200-500.00. The chassis panel below the boot can probably be had cheaply(150.00).

I love saying bonnet and boot, I truely miss restoring old British cars!

When I say cheaply and easily, you can get a door and pop it on, rather than reskin etc...

So for parts in the us, I would estimate you could get them for under $2000.00. Now you have all the patch panels, or replacement panels if you want to do it right. Now to put these parts on can cost you between 500-12,000.00 and up depending on paint and quality. Also how much work you can do.

For me to weld in an entire sill, I wouldn't charge less than 1200.00. I would want to take off the entire rocker panel to do it though and get all the rust out. Otherwise I am a dog chasing my tail with the rust. Also, this is without paint.

There is a love for cars we can't deny. So, if you want to do it economically, just take your time and look for parts. Find a good welder who has worked knows structural integrity at a good price and have at it. THROUGH THE RECEIPTS AWAY. Never look back and love the car.

Then again I am glad I don't own any more old British cars...

Adam

1 - 12 of 12 Posts