BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, nothing new here, my M5 has the shimmy that a lot of us have experienced. At about 50MPH, I could feel the shimmy in the steering wheel and I just lived with it as I know it's a known issue. So this past weekend I put on a set of 15MM spacers, mostly for appearance. I like the look of the wheels out a little bit as opposed to stock, and I get 2 side effects that I didnt expect:

1. A little but of understeer, which is fine with me. It loosened it up just a little and I like it.

2. Here's the suprise, the shimmy is all but gone! :wroom:

I can understand the understeer, but does the shimmy going away make sense? I don't understand the physics of it all, but whatever it is it worked (for now anyway)

Anyone else experience this? :confused2

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have no experience with spacers on M5's, but have used them before on other cars with no ill effects. I don't know why the shimmy would be gone, but I'd love to see some pictures of the car with spacers. I assume you put them on the front?

·
Registered
150 Posts
billrM5 said:
nope, wheel spacers on the back. i'll post some pictures shortly
Wow 15mm's on the back! I was thinking that I might be able to get away with 5mm without any rubbing. They are pushed out pretty far as it is. I absolutely love the look of wheels with a "dish" pushed out as far as possible without going beyond the fender.

Let's see some pics!

·
Registered
25 Posts
billrM5 said:
OK, nothing new here, my M5 has the shimmy that a lot of us have experienced. At about 50MPH, I could feel the shimmy in the steering wheel and I just lived with it as I know it's a known issue. So this past weekend I put on a set of 15MM spacers, mostly for appearance. I like the look of the wheels out a little bit as opposed to stock, and I get 2 side effects that I didnt expect:

1. A little but of understeer, which is fine with me. It loosened it up just a little and I like it.

2. Here's the suprise, the shimmy is all but gone! :wroom:

I can understand the understeer, but does the shimmy going away make sense? I don't understand the physics of it all, but whatever it is it worked (for now anyway)

Anyone else experience this? :confused2
i had the same problem. . .it would come and go at different brake speeds. eventually, i got my brake rotors replaced under cpo. happened again. was told it was my driving habits. . .too much heat, etc. by the selling dealer (open road bmw in nj --- btw, don't ever go there. sales/service are horrendous). independent dinan dealer told me i had loose control arms and worn out bushings which all contributed to the warped rotors. i'm not sure who to believe but since i replaced the rotors and bushings (had to pay for that) as well as a wheel alignment, i haven't had any shimmy.

check your rotors. they should be covered under warranty.

·
Super Moderator
10,462 Posts
shimmies are extremely common on bmw's. The most frequent culprit is the 'thrust arm bushings', you'll find a lot of info here using the search feature.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts