BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new to m5 ownership so not to good with before and after here is problem no 1
when engine is cold there is some kind of fast idle program coupled with this there is a decernable hold of revs noticeable as you change gear this reduces as the engine warms up in time with the lights going out in the rev counter when warmed up everything is fine
if i fill up with shell optimax there is a definite improvement in running compared to other super unleaded fuels
what is the piont in having all this power if every time you accelerate the traction control cuts in if you turn it off the only way round a corner is looking out the passenger window

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Welcome to the board! Just remember, grammar is our friend, not our foe. :haha:
There is a point to all the power. The car has more chassis than engine, but if you reduce the ability to put the power down (ie mid corner), then the tail will slide wide. I suggest using lower power settings, as you want to be tail light exiting a corner hard, not sideways. Full power mid corner works better at the higher end of the speed spectrum. The point of the power is that it gives you the flexibility to do with the tail whatever you want.
Someone else should chime in soon on the cold start profile.
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Most cars I have ever driven hold higher revs till the engine warms up... so to me it is normal.

Traction control is there so people like me stay alive in wet weather. With the DSC off and sports on it is pretty much the way I see the M5 was intended. Flooring the car into the corner is going to cause the tail to kick out, if you think it is bad on an M5 try the Z8.

Fineness with the throttle is key I suppose, something I don't have too much of myself.

:wroom:

- Kin

·
Registered
244 Posts
BmwNut said:
There is a point to all the power. The car has more chassis than engine, but if you reduce the ability to put the power down (ie mid corner), then the tail will slide wide. I suggest using lower power settings, as you want to be tail light exiting a corner hard, not sideways. Full power mid corner works better at the higher end of the speed spectrum. The point of the power is that it gives you the flexibility to do with the tail whatever you want.
Someone else should chime in soon on the cold start profile.

Um.. You do not want to be "tail light" exiting a coner. You want to be accelerating at the exit which is tail heavy as you would describe it. Or better said the weight is now at the rear of the car creating grip to get the power down.

The best part about this car is both ends can be pointed in any direction. The front with the steering wheel and the rear with your right foot. Also seems that left foot braking works very well to eliminate understeer at any point in the corner.

Jordan

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Sorry, I should clarify what I mean by tail light. You are correct in saying that due to acceleration you have placed a higher load on the rears. By tail light I mean that the back has a small measure of oversteer. In my experiance, the fastest corner exit is when the tail is out just enough so you hold about 1/2 your steering angle. Tail light in in my context is a tail that is beginning to slide out. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Broncoupe,

Congrats to the M5! I´d suggest to keep the DSC on at all times. Sooner or later you will encounter lower friction than you expected, and then the DSC will save your hide. As it did mine on a few occations. Or at least it will save you some repairs.

About the idle RPM, if it goes to 1000 RPM at startup and the gradually sink to 650 RPM after a minute or so, then it is just like all other E39 M5s.

David

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have discussed this with BMW as I had a very rough run when the engine was cold. They told me that when the engine is cold, the ignition is retarded in order for the engine to get warm as quickly as possible. As the lights on the rev.meter goes out, the engine becomes more "normal". I asked if there is an electrical engine heater that I could put into the engine as I have on my E34 M5, but alas, there is non for the E39 M5.

Hope this helps..

·
Registered
214 Posts
BmwNut said:
I fell out of my chair when I read this. hiha

I am going to use this phrase once a day until I change the world.:7:

KCD

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
kcdoyle said:
I fell out of my chair when I read this. hiha

I am going to use this phrase once a day until I change the world.:7:

KCD
hiha I like that...saving the world, one post at a time. My grammar isn't good enough, or I would have put that in my sig a long time ago.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts