BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the garage getting a puncture repaired and noticed a small metal thing, about 4 inches long and attached to wires-hanging down from the front right hand spoiler area.

I felt underneath and tried to attach it to some kind of clip that is there, in a kind of hollowed out area.

Can anone shed light onto this part?

Thanks,

D

·
Registered
89 Posts
It's the temperature sensor for outdoor temperature (which is displayed on the dash and via the computer). Try to snap it back into the lower engine cover. If it's hanging down, there is a chance that your lower engine cover is damaged (very common, both of mine were smashed up when I bought my otherwise mint-condition M5). I replaced them both in my driveway in less than half an hour with a single floor jack (several other threads on this topic). I paid ~$118 each for the left and right lower engine covers from a BMW dealership - other members have reported lower prices. Make sure you get the version of the cover that has a hole cut out for the brake cooling ducts (the ones I took off my car didn't for some reason).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to everyone for your info. Popped back in this morning-with a bit of to-ing and fro-ing.

What a strange place to mount a temp sensor-no wonder it is inaccurate at times!

The covers seem OK-perhaps it has been knocked loose during a 'spirited drive'...

D

·
Registered
200 Posts
Davido164 said:
Thanks to everyone for your info. Popped back in this morning-with a bit of to-ing and fro-ing.

What a strange place to mount a temp sensor-no wonder it is inaccurate at times!

The covers seem OK-perhaps it has been knocked loose during a 'spirited drive'...

D
It's a stupid place for a sensor sometime I get a wrong temp at the display because of the engine heat under the car hmmm

some one else how have the some problem?????

The garage told me to replace the right engine cover with a other sensor position
And I have read it in BMW TIS

Must pick it up soon:M5launch:

·
Registered
131 Posts
The sensor is reasonably accurate, however it will pick up engine heat in traffic and even the radiated temperature off of the road on a very hot day. Hey it is more accurate than the temp sensor in my FORD Ranger!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
divere said:
It's a stupid place for a sensor sometime I get a wrong temp at the display because of the engine heat under the car hmmm

some one else how have the some problem?????

The garage told me to replace the right engine cover with a other sensor position
And I have read it in BMW TIS

Must pick it up soon:M5launch:
I had the factory relocation fix done. Before the fix if it was actually 80F outside, the readout usually was around 98F. After the fix, it dropped to 94F.

·
Registered
200 Posts
BKH said:
I had the factory relocation fix done. Before the fix if it was actually 80F outside, the readout usually was around 98F. After the fix, it dropped to 94F.
And where did they put it now I think the dealer ordered a wrong part for me because it's on the same place?????????

best regards

1 - 9 of 9 Posts