BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Is this guy crazy with this price...

7K views 68 replies 31 participants last post by  bmwMcrzy 
#1 · (Edited)
#9 ·
This.

Isn't the free market a wonderful thing? Too bad BMW doesn't make the E39 M5 anymore. With a decent set of OE factory headers and some other minor improvements, there may well be a market (not that I'm biased or anything!).

#6 ·
The saying is linked to PT Barnum but I don't think he said it...... "There's a sucker born every minute."

Throw a number out there and see if someone will pay it.

:checkeredflag:

#10 ·
I'd try to do the same if I was a commercial seller with a good condition low mileage ///M5. That's the point right, try to make as much money possible. Now the thing is if there is the "right" buyer for the price out there...

#13 ·
I will never understand EAG

#15 ·
What exactly is wrong with an enterprising niche car dealer who lists at a price they believe will sell? If the price is too high, it'll just sit there. Thing with E39 M5 is, pristine examples are getting rarer by the day, so long as they can afford to sit on it, someone will come along who has to have the lowest mileage best sorted example. I believe they provide liquidity, both for sellers as well as potential buyers of low mileage cars. No one is preventing anyone else from snatching up these cars and flipping them for 5 to 10k, if it were really that simple.

#16 ·
EAG I understand....What I don't understand are the owners that sell them cars.

Too lazy or incapable of marketing their own I guess.

PS The ad says "stock car with no modifications"... E39M5s came with neither bluetooth nor sirius. And their list of 'options' is BS too. But I suppose marketing to folks that know no difference you need to. Say, what is the RAREST "BMW Option" on the E39 M5???

#18 ·
EAG does what they do and they do it very well. They will price Mcars high but give great service on the buying experience. For potential buyers that want to buy from some owner dude in another state that they hope is telling the truth--go for it. You may just get a deal.

EAG will command a higher premium than anyone else but will move more Mcars in a year than any other non factory dealer in the country. Hate them for making $ if you want but praise them for their business savvy at the same time. That low mileage M-5 won't last long even at that price.

#22 ·
I've followed EAG for awhile. For those who castigate, look at their website right now. They have an 2003 alpine white w/ caramel interior set at $25k w/ 85k miles in immaculate condition with a variety of fresh servicing (which they do, and do right).

Now, is that $3-4k above what we'd expect to see on here for a potentially similar vehicle? Sure. But they are a specialty dealership with a very solid reputation on the cars they sell.

Similarly, they have a 2002 black on black m5 w/ 64k going for 26k. Again, what, $4k above what we'd expect to see on here private party?

I don't understand the abuse they receive. They are a dealership, so put $2k on private party regardless. Then top it off with they are a specialty dealership with a reputation for M cars of high quality. Then add-on that they usually service their new M cars pretty thoroughly (it's common to see them put a new clutch in, do an Inspection II, etc.)

For someone who doesn't want to fly across the country to meet someone they've never met and has some anxiety over that type of trip, and especially in the BMW crowd, paying a few thousand more for the peace of mind doesn't exactly seem like a rip-off to me.

I don't think EAG is going to offer the right car for me personally at the price I'm willing to pay, but I enjoy keeping an eye on their site and seeing some top notch examples available any time of year.

#23 ·
I paid AU$ 42,500 last August for a 2001 M5 with 128,000kms. It was the only E39 M5 on sale in WA at the time.

In Australia at the moment (carsales.com.au), there are 22 M5s for sale (one E34, ONE E39 for AU$36,500, and 20 E60s - ranging from AU$70k for a 2006 model to AU$140k for a 2008 model).

I can't blame a dealer for putting a premium on the car - they will (I assume) have to provide some sort of warranty?

At the end of the day, if you want it, you have to pay it, or someone else will.

Reactions: stuka
#28 ·
Dual pane glass?

#30 ·
There is a very simple answer here folks….If you like it, buy it, if you don't, go to another website. I am familiar with a local M3 owner in my city that had dealings with this company. A lot of his dealings were from long distance, and he couldn't be happier with the attention and service he got...

#31 ·
Unlike nearly every used car dealer in the country, these guys (EAG) have a sterling rep and they seem to deserve it. Now, natch, their prices are high but as several people have already stated here, you get what you pay for. As the owner of one of the other few E39s in the country with less than 20K miles, I know just how rare that car is and I can appreciate his price point. I paid one heck of a premium for my car last year, bought it from the private party who owned it, not a dealer, but I was ready to buy, and when I found it it was mine. Even with the low miles and up-to-date maintenance, I still had to put another couple thousand into it right off the bat.

Think about how difficult it would be to run a used car business and never have an unhappy customer. You're dealing with used cars, often bought at auction. There are going to be issues. These guys apparently address all of those potential issues, and we all know how expensive that is on an M5.

M

#32 ·
I have never bought a car from EAG, but the one time I went there was when i first started looking for an M car. The guys completely dismissed me and took 30 mins to come talk to me. I think it had something to do with my age and the 2001 corolla I was driving...typical car dealer experience from that perspective.

Although I have never bought a car from EAG or even considered it, I think you just have to accept that they are targeting a different market. I never pay full price for anything (although I did over pay for my car, but it was around at the right time and 10/10 cosmetically), expect it will have flaws and account for those flaws in the budget. I think EAG markets to people who...just can! and those who are looking for the after purchase services of EAG.

That being said, good for them for exploiting a market, bad for them for suggesting they are doing something miraculous by sourcing these cars from all over the country...nothing anyone hasn't done searching for their dream car. IMO, its still a used car, its still old, it will have problems, you leave yourself no room to cover those problems...but if you can buy it buy it, if not, sit here and rip on EAG :D

#33 ·
Every ol' pot has a cover...

#34 · (Edited)
EAG

Thanks for the support, especially from those that have done business with us and others who have taken the time to get to know us over the years. We aim to acquire the best possible late production M's in the market and fully sort them for our customers. We buy the majority of our vehicles from private sellers and most of these sellers come back to us to buy cars when they are ready to rejoin the M-Car community. This simple fact exemplifies how we treat our customers on both sides of the ownership experience.

We sold this particular M5 very quickly; the car was delivered to its new home via single car enclosed carrier yesterday. We purchased it directly from the original owner. (By the way, both the Bluetooth + Sirius Radio were installed at a franchised BMW Dealership by the original owner using OEM parts). We are highly focused on M-Cars with substantial experience. We are a full service operation which eliminates the risks of the “used car buying experience”. We have developed a niche’ within the BMW M-Car community and we have a long list of highly-satisfied clients.

There will always be people upset with a "dealer". We are unlike every traditional dealership for the fact that we pride ourselves as a BMW performance and service shop first and foremost. We are also an authorized Dinan Performance Center; we have earned this accreditation through our experience and service history.

In respect to selling our cars, we are very low pressure. If someone wants to buy a car from us, they generally will call us first and inquire about the vehicle. We don't chase people around our facility as most people are just passing-by and stop in given the volume of M's out front and want to learn more. This is another reason we are unlike the typical dealerships. We don't have a sales staff, our vehicles and reputation do this job for us.

If anyone has any questions about our company and would like to learn more, please visit our website or better yet, call us directly. We are happy to share our time, experience and passion for these cars with any enthusiast; this is what has brought us all together in the first place.

#35 ·
I have a brother that lives in Mt Washington, Ohio that I have turned into a BMW fan. He drools over the EAG list of M cars often, and just needs to pull the trigger. I looked hard and long at EAG before I bought mine because they have an excellent reputation, and service after the sale but ended up finding one in my own back yard ten miles away. I've never talked with anyone that had nothing but good things to say about EAG. I too, look at their E39 M5s often wondering what the wife would do if I brought home another when I flew into CVG to visit my brother.

#37 ·
I think EAG does a great job selling and maintaining M cars. Yes they are pricey, but these are special cars. Even though I didn't buy a vehicle from them I found them to be really knowledgeable about their cars and completely upfront and respectful. They are real enthusiasts, when I checked out a really clean 540i they had and I let them know I was debating on holding out for an M, they let me know the M would be totally worth it and didn't just try and convince me to buy the 540i.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.