BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5 E39 Dinan
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
See attachments.
Crevier BMW in Santa Ana (So-Cal) just sent me this quote.

What the **** are they doing? Just writing in random numbers for pricing?
They forgot a quote the other belt tensioner.. so add another $113+.

So that comes out what... $1180 and another $113+tax... $1300?
For 1x waterpump and 3x pulleys and 2x tensioners. Sweet.

This is 'normal retail pricing' according to sales rep Nate.
Take note that Crevier is owned by Penske Automotive now.. probably the reason for the shady prices.
Over-quoting the RealOEM.com pricing by a good margin too.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Isn't that one of the most despised dealers around Cali?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I paid $200 something for all belts and tensioners.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
I have read that the only suitable parts come directly from dealers and other parts don't meet the same standards, are you willing to put substandard parts on your car? Can you put a price on piece of mind?

I have to say the the notion of M5 owners looking to save a few pennies by using sub-standard parts is very unseemly; perhaps those owners would be more comfortable with a lesser e39 or possibly even a lesser vehicle.

PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT OWN AN M5 AND THIS POST IS NOT INTENDED TO BE ARROGANT. PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT REVISED DISCLAIMER THAT APPLIES TO THIS POST

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
I'm always intrigued by what dealers can accomplish in today's distorted, misallocated "market". Dealers are having a blast running pricing routines that markup way above BMWNA MSRP parts prices. It's apparently too good of a opportunity for them since they have found that parts sales vs parts prices for both their service department and retail counter is inelastic. Raise prices and they will come. Raise prices even more and...they STILL come.

These pricing routines most dealers use apply huge percentage markups to low value parts (i.e. a $1 BMWNA MSRP part (that they pay $0.50 for) might be marked up more than 100%), and as MSRP increases, the % markup applied falls. Parts in say the $40 MSRP range might "only" be marked up 30% above BMWNA MSRP. By the time you get to a $300 part, the markup above MSRP might be down to 6-8%. Etc...

However, your "dealer" is particularly egregious. Let's see how their algorithm works.

07-11-9-905-533 is priced at $2.41. The current BMWNA MSRP is $1.07. So they have that marked up ~225% above BMW suggested list. BMW Morristown online site price is $0.65. Dealer cost is probably $0.55.

11-28-2-248-214 is priced at $233.94. BMWNA MSRP is $173.29, so they have it marked up 35% above MSRP. Morristown's price is $133.43.

By the way, the water pump p/n they list is NLA. The correct P/N is 11-51-1-407-806. Which is $498.60 MSRP and $301.65 at Morristown.

I've found that BMW Morristown's online parts site has the best prices in the country. Both Tischer and Morristown use the Trademotion software, and you can see the current BMWNA MSRP displayed along with of course the discounted price. The other thing about BMW Morristown is that they ship immediately for in-stock parts. I just ordered some rear shock upper mounts for the E90 330i on Tuesday about noon. The parts shipped that afternoon and arrived yesterday morning. Do some comparing, and you'll find they under-price *everyone* on factory parts. So far, each time I've ordered from them, they ship that day. Outstanding service.

Chuck

Off topic PS: I just put some Bilsteins on the 330i, and Tire Rack had BY FAR the lowest prices I could find for in stock parts, free shipping, and they shipped immediately. I ordered them on Monday night, they shipped Tuesday, and arrived Wednesday. Same thing a few weeks ago on brake rotors and pads for the S4 -- best prices, free shipping, immediate service.

PSS: Does anyone find it a bit hilarious that this dealer who is just raking in the dough from massively inflating parts prices is still running what appears to be a fully character-based screen program? This is either a 16-bit MS-DOS program (probably running in a compatibility window in Win7) or something running on an old IBM AS/400 from the 1980s. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Pelican usually has a pretty good handle on who the OEM supplier was to BMW and you can sometimes save some money that way. For example, on my E46 m3, the idler pulleys were made by INA and the belts by Continental. Ordering the OEM-packaged part vs. the BMW-packaged part represents a savings of roughly 50% in this example. Same part, different box.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
That is what they would like you to believe, but I have read that when manufacturers sell the "same" part under their own brand name it does not live up to the BMW specifications, so the only way to be certain is to buy genuine BMW parts from a BMW dealer.

PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT OWN AN M5 AND THIS POST IS NOT INTENDED TO BE ARROGANT. PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT REVISED DISCLAIMER THAT APPLIES TO THIS POST

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
That is what they would like you to believe, but I have read that when manufacturers sell the "same" part under their own brand name it does not live up to the BMW specifications, so the only way to be certain is to buy genuine BMW parts....

Well, I don't know that I believe that. In my example above, I bought the BMW-branded parts from a BMW dealer. Upon opening the boxes, the parts themselves were labeled with the same INA and Conti part numbers that you could buy on the open market. I have a hard time believing that any manufacturer makes two different grades of part and proceeds to label both grades with the same part number. From a logistics standpoint, that seems impossible.

-Darrell

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
People believe it, that's for sure.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
its not just BMW dealers doing this thpe of stuff.

I went to the chrysler dealer last week to get a new key for my wifes car they wanted $180 for the key plus $62 for programming it. now you have to have it programmed otherwise that $180 key is useless so why charge a fee if it must be done for the key to work? and that is more then I paid for a key for the M which I paid $160 for and is a 10x better quality key.

online you can find the chrysler key for $75-100. and a local indy said he can program it if he has a working key that is already programmed. these dealers are all crooks.

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
That is what they would like you to believe, but I have read that when manufacturers sell the "same" part under their own brand name it does not live up to the BMW specifications, so the only way to be certain is to buy genuine BMW parts from a BMW dealer.
That is actually true to the extent that you don't know your supplier well. Ask Redshift about his recent experience ordering a bunch of "OEM replacement" and "OEM equivalent" parts from Worldpac (which many indy shops use) for his wife's 330i. There is a common belief that "all parts are the same" which is also not true across the board.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts