BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just some photos for your viewing pleasure.
There is also a hole on the otherside of the block.
The BIG piece of tranny housing fell off while we were pulling off the headers.
WTF could have caused this?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well... since the part out is going pretty good... I'm not so bummed.
Its actually kinda fun ripping it apart. It's just a shame it had to go out like this.
I still havent figured out what would have caused this. The flywheel is intact. One of our theorys was the flywheel blew apart. More than likely it would have been a covered warrenty failure. when I get more into it, I will submit the parts to BMW and see what they say.
Its nuts how the tranny housing is just in pieces.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Holy smokes that bellhousing got trashed! Whatever caused that, there was some hell of a force involved. Good luck getting BMW to cover it, as that looks like an internal failure of a part, not driver error.
:cheers:

·
Registered
465 Posts
phillym5 said:
Well... since the part out is going pretty good... I'm not so bummed.
Its actually kinda fun ripping it apart. It's just a shame it had to go out like this.
I still havent figured out what would have caused this. The flywheel is intact. One of our theorys was the flywheel blew apart. More than likely it would have been a covered warrenty failure. when I get more into it, I will submit the parts to BMW and see what they say.
Its nuts how the tranny housing is just in pieces.
Makes sense.....Are the cylinder heads still in tact, or were they damaged as well?

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,318 Posts
Eeek! Isn't your car blue? I'm a little bit lost here. :confused:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Man thats some crazy [email protected] Josh, glad see you can still laugh a little bit after your series of unfortunate events, Josh

at the rate my car is breaking maybe I will need some parts off your car;) ,

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
phillym5 said:
My newly aquired one is blue. This is my O.G. one.

Omar..... the heads are toast.
Hard to believe anything but metal fatigue, I don't think there was any driver error involved here unless you were revving it past 8k rpm!!.
Regards,
Jerry

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,318 Posts
Josh,

See.....I thought you SOLD the silver one! I didn't realize you still had it! I'm sorry to hear about you bad luck with both of your cars! Do keep us posted on what develops as far as the repairs of both cars for you goes.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Sorry to hear/see that! What are the marks that appear to be hammer marks on the outer housing near the failure/break? R U sure that some type of "service" tech using a presuader could have caused this? Just an observation. Best of luck in quick resolution! Nick

·
Registered
784 Posts
phillym5 said:
Just some photos for your viewing pleasure.
There is also a hole on the otherside of the block.
The BIG piece of tranny housing fell off while we were pulling off the headers.
WTF could have caused this?
Josh……. WOW !!

The words you shared when we chatted did not do the situation justice. That was catastrophic ……. I have seen some holes in blocks and this one just moved very close to the top of them……

As for the picture of you giving her the royal treatment…….. appropriate and similar feelings would be felt and shared by me as well.

As others have shared; I too am glad the parting out of the gal has progressed well.

”Welcome to Josh’s Wrecking Yard”…… the neighbors must love you.

Take care

Shadowman

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Most of my neighbors are retired and think my "life" is.....well, there just dumb-founded. They don't, nor can they fathem what goes on in my world. So, they come over everyday, check up on things, ask the most rediculous questions, say im nuts, then walk away laughing. It great.

josh.

·
Registered
241 Posts
what can I search for to find this whole story, i feel like i am missing an important part, just saw you parting out the car under for sale or wanted section.

thanks

Adam

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.