BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well, I'm going to see that next week, if it's in good condition, maybe i'll buy it :hihihi:

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, it's been there for quite a while, so you're in a good haggling position!!! Good luck! I like it a lot!!!!!!

Leba said:
Well, I'm going to see that next week, if it's in good condition, maybe i'll buy it :hihihi:

·
2,941 Posts
Stevie,

The cars looks good. Fjord Grau metallic. But 172k km!!! There aren't that many German registered 3.8's that have achieved more then 200k km. On the German E34 forum there are quitte a few members with 3.8's with that mileage that where forced to carry out a full rebuild recently.

I prefer to spend a few thousands more (5k to 10k) for a low mileage (<100k km) example. But these are rare.

What where the famous words? One can't save them all or something like that?

:cheers:

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Raymond, did I miss a call from you somewhere last Friday-night? And if so, did I wake someone when returning it:confused:???? My phone didn't recocnise the number. After returning it I think I recocnised the sleepy voice as your spouses...... If so I sincerely apologise, I sometimes forget not everyone lives my crazy hours!!! I was driving back from finishing work in Maastricht.

As for the 172k, are those engines really THAT bad??????????

raymond woertman said:
Stevie,

The cars looks good. Fjord Grau metallic. But 172k km!!! There aren't that many German registered 3.8's that have achieved more then 200k km. On the German E34 forum there are quitte a few members with 3.8's with that mileage that where forced to carry out a full rebuild recently.

·
2,941 Posts
Stevie,

Stevie said:
As for the 172k, are those engines really THAT bad??????????
Well, one has to include the factor 'operating conditions' into the equation. One can safely say that these are very tough (if not the toughest) in Germany. Environmental conditions can vary between -15degrC in the winter till +40degr in the summer). Combine that with the hard usage on the autobahns where the majority was driven at high speed (at least during the first years of their life.)

In every other European country, one cannot drive that fast for sustained periods of time (without risking ones drivers license or even jail term) and thus the stresses that are caused by high speeds (where the engine power is needed the most) are also much less. In that respect, the experiences may vary between countries.

Functionally though, the S38B38 is the best of all the S38 and M88 engines. It doesn't lack the low end torque of what for instance the S38B36 suffers from, it is more tracktable and especially in the 95 model more drivers friendly. Sixth gear keeps the engine speed down and that may help to extend the engine life.

In the mean time, the typical owners profile for an E34 ///M5 (in Germany, but Holland also) is very different when compared to a few years ago and many owners simply don't have the money for proper servicing.

But try to find an E34 ///M5 3.8 on mobile with >200k km on it's first engine? That will be a tough job. Try to find a same mileage 3.6. These show up more often.

Stevie said:
Hi Raymond, did I miss a call from you somewhere last Friday-night? And if so, did I wake someone when returning it:confused
I didn't hear anything from her.

Raymond

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Just to add my pence. I had my 3.8 M imported to the UK at the end of last year. I went overseas to get mine as I wanted a low milage example. Mine had 114k on the clock. Which is about 70k Miles. Mine is on her second engine as the first was changed early on in her life.

I also believe that knowing the history and owners who have owned this type of vehicle is a benifit.

Mine being owned by a Dr in the early years.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi all

Well I never went to Germany because I didnt get any holiday of my work :grrrr:
So, I didnt know what was the condition of that car, but a friend of mine went to see this http://tinyurl.com/8mem6 which was a piece of cr*p :D
I'm still waiting for my trip to Germany (in 2 weeks) finally to get my M5 kinggf
I just need to sell my 328i first, anyone wants to buy it? ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts