BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 M5 with the dark silver interior trim. I believe it's called titan shadow trim. I've seen a few pics of cars where the bottom half of the steering wheel is silver. I know some guys have probably had that piece painted. Just wondered if BMW offers anything in the matching trim for that part?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Titan Shadow trim is on the E46 M3 only.

The trim in our E39 M5s is called Aluminum trim. The "Titan Shadow" is actually plastic.

On M3 cars with SMG, the bottom half of the steering wheel is finished in Titan Shadow. Regular 6-speed cars do not have this trim. No stock M5 wheel comes with any trim. It's all leather with the M multi-color stitching.

Cheers!
-Matthew

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
MT JTN said:
Titan Shadow trim is on the E46 M3 only.

The trim in our E39 M5s is called Aluminum trim. The "Titan Shadow" is actually plastic.
They call it Aluminum, but it, too... is plastic :(

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,320 Posts
I replaced the bottom half of my steering wheel with the grey piece that comes with the M3 CSL steering wheel or those with the 330i Performance Package. I think that although it doesn't match the aluminum finish perfectly, it does offer a nice contrast.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone have a picture of the silver bottom half of an M3 steering wheel? Would that piece fit our M5? If not, I guess the only other option would be to paint it? Also, which shift knob most closely matches our silver trim. I was looking at the Hamann one that is half leather/half silver. I've also seen an OEM 6 spd knob that is silver. But it looked like the OEM knob was a much lighter silver than our trim. Basically I would like to get the bottom half of the steering wheel, shift knob, and e-brake to all match the interior silver trim.

·
Registered
616 Posts
black02m5 said:
Does anyone have a picture of the silver bottom half of an M3 steering wheel? Would that piece fit our M5? If not, I guess the only other option would be to paint it? Also, which shift knob most closely matches our silver trim. I was looking at the Hamann one that is half leather/half silver. I've also seen an OEM 6 spd knob that is silver. But it looked like the OEM knob was a much lighter silver than our trim. Basically I would like to get the bottom half of the steering wheel, shift knob, and e-brake to all match the interior silver trim.
If budget is not an issue - the go down the ACS route, their wheel is brilliant, the have gearknobs, pedals, handbrake and footrest...

If you can get hold of a CSL steering wheel, it will fit and M5 and you can get the Titan shadow trim for it as well...

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,320 Posts
That's what I have...the trim piece on the lower half is from the CSL steering wheel! It was a bit difficult to put on since you'd have to remove the airbag unit in order to get to the black piece.

I'll try to take a better picture of it when I get back home.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts