BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:eek: :sad3: :1zhelp:

OK, after hours and hours of searching for an e39 m5 rear bumper for sale (other than the 600$ oem one) I found nothing. Dont tell me to go check google, because I did check google, about 10 pages of their shopping section, and everyone that I clicked on that has a picture of an m5 bumper was fake. I would email to confirm the actual diffuser cut and it was for only one sided exhaust systems i.e. NOT FOR AN M%

So does anyone know where I can get an actual dual cut diffuser along with the bumper and not have to buy this crap and then spend an extra 100$ just for the diffuser? this is what my luck brought apon me...

I came upon nothing but this, over and over again:

And believe me, this is my last resort, wasting a thread dedicated to a rear bumper :(

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
DDM makes the rear bumpers

Single cutout... not an issue. Unscrew that diffuser. Screw in dual cut out diffuser from your current bumper, or find one used

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
replica bumpers don't have removeable diffusers, to my knowledge.

however, it's really not hard to make a template and cut out the other exhaust cutout.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I've seen pics of a Hamann "Competition" rear bumper but as with other items I imagine they are NLA.

Edit: Sorry, I was in a mod frame of mind not a saving money frame of mind. DDM seems to be your answer since they show thier diffuser separate in the pics. They may even have the dual cut-out if asked.

Good Luck,

dj

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys, thanks for all the input since last night. I dont have a current rear bumper or diffuser since I bought a salvage car that I am rebuilding. From my experience in the past with DDM, I dont think I will be doing business with them for a long time until they prove to me they are once again a "great" company which they go around show boating all the time. I am normally the last one to talk down about a company, but it took them almost 4 months for me to get a front bumper from them which is a little rediculous.

I want to find a place that sells the bumper with the dual cut diffser, is there not one out there?

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
all the aftermarket M5 bumpers, to my knowledge, all come from the same mold in the same factory. Just pick a company you trust and who knows. worst case scenario: you have to use a hot knife.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
all the aftermarket M5 bumpers, to my knowledge, all come from the same mold in the same factory. Just pick a company you trust and who knows. worst case scenario: you have to use a hot knife.
I know :( I'm going to pull the trigger probably early next week. And I'll actually just buy the front bumper, rear bumper, and side molding combo as i work for a shop that we frequently buy e39's at so i'm sure we'll use the front bumper sooner or later. Its a shame they dont make one for the best car for the e39 series, they make more parts for the non-///M cars than they do for ours. That is sad. I guess thy figured since we get the better motor, the "other" people deserve the cheaper prices hiha

·
Registered
2002 M5, Imola / Imola
1,698 Posts
DDM Tunings bumper fits well, and the diffuser is removable. Your old one can easily snap in place, you wouldn't be able to tell from OEM.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DDM Tunings bumper fits well, and the diffuser is removable. Your old one can easily snap in place, you wouldn't be able to tell from OEM.
read the post before my last. DDM will be my last resort.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
273 Posts
KO Performance got me my OEM rear bumper for $535 shipped. I wouldn't recommend a non OEM bumper - I have the Umnitza front, and it doesn't fit exactly right - it appears to be short on both side by 1/4" or so. Also it was a lot more work to paint, and the paint seemed to lay down better/smoother on the OEM rear.

So you can save maybe $200 by going with a non OEM rear, but after $400 worth of paint/install etc. was it really worth it to put a non OEM part on? Did the price make that big of a difference? I've learned my lesson.

Anyone want a jet black front bumper (non PDC, non headlight washers) in great shape?

P.S. just checked KO again - they have non PDC OEM rear for $475 + shipping.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
KO Performance got me my OEM rear bumper for $535 shipped. I wouldn't recommend a non OEM bumper - I have the Umnitza front, and it doesn't fit exactly right - it appears to be short on both side by 1/4" or so. Also it was a lot more work to paint, and the paint seemed to lay down better/smoother on the OEM rear.

So you can save maybe $200 by going with a non OEM rear, but after $400 worth of paint/install etc. was it really worth it to put a non OEM part on? Did the price make that big of a difference? I've learned my lesson.

Anyone want a jet black front bumper (non PDC, non headlight washers) in great shape?

P.S. just checked KO again - they have non PDC OEM rear for $475 + shipping.
I used a replica front on my 540 before, and it looked great. They are adjustable btw, who ever put yours on was lazy.

I work at a shop so painting it is absolutely no issue as well as getting it to fit properly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Funny I just saw this thread. I was rear ended a couple of weeks ago and the insurance company only wants to pay for an aftermarket bumper cover, not the OEM. I'm in the process of fighting them on it - my 03 only has 12k on it and is in otherwise perfect condition - but this is interesting. If there are no reputable aftermarket parts that are "of like kind and quality" then they'd be running afoul of CA insurance regulations as they'd be replacing with an inferior product. I've asked them to come back with what manufacturer and part number they want used so we can check it out and see if it does conform to the guidelines. Mind you all this over about $200.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I would stay away from anything replica on body kit parts. I have an OEM-only parts endorsement on my insurance policy in case of any damage.

This is a front bumper story, but the main point would still be relevant.

Anyway, I bought a replica M5 front bumper for my old 540i. I won't name names, but it was a more well known replica brand.
I did NOT fit correctly. All the thru holes along the front of the bumper cover (behind the front plastic molding strips) barely lined up with the associated holes on the bumper reinforcement bar. Also, on the sides, the replica cover came up about a 1/4 inch short at the wheel arch.
No amount of adjustment on the front reinforcement bar or checking of the panels under the wheel well could rectify that. My old OEM bumper fit perfectly, so nothing was wrong with the structure.

I should have had a fit test done first, but the shop I was using went ahead and sent the bumper to paint before I knew it without fit testing. (which is a whole separate story :grrrr: ) So I couldn't even get a refund out of it.

So if the mold that every company uses hasn't changed in the past three years, I would stay away.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts