BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,
My car is hitting 130k right now and would like to keep it longer becouse I really like it, but I would feel better if had the motor freshened up. So I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction?
I would try to take this engine apart myself but it looks alittle more complicated than a LS1.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I am on 132K Miles and added a Supercharger at 124K Miles.

Have you done a compression/leak down test with unfavourable results ?

If not, do one and see for any disparity in the numbers. If there is no disparity or alarm bells ringing, then forget about an engine rebuild and keep thrashing it, I would say.

Instead of rebuilding your engine, I would refresh all the major DME sensors, like MAFS, o2, CPS etc etc

However, I am a strong believer in changing your Rod Bearings.

Good Luck and keep us posted !

·
Registered
249 Posts
Maybe one thing you should consider is to check your chain tensioners and chain guides. I had some chain noises with 150k motor. Also the chain guides were in bad shape with those km's.

·
Registered
147 Posts
If you plan a total rebuild it might be a good idea to buy a used s62 and build that to your liking instead. Once done, swap the engine and sell the old one.... this route will give you a lot more freedom as far as build time and car "downtime" are concerned.

That's how I'd do it anyways, or have it done.

You will notice that there is an insane amount of knowledge and help in these forums, thanks to some individuals who love these machines more than enything else, and also share generously. If you have already built an LS1, just grab TIS and a spare S62 and get working - you will not be alone :)

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
If you plan a total rebuild it might be a good idea to buy a used s62 and build that to your liking instead. Once done, swap the engine and sell the old one.... this route will give you a lot more freedom as far as build time and car "downtime" are concerned.

That's how I'd do it anyways, or have it done.

You will notice that there is an insane amount of knowledge and help in these forums, thanks to some individuals who love these machines more than enything else, and also share generously. If you have already built an LS1, just grab TIS and a spare S62 and get working - you will not be alone :)
When I've been planning to do this previously, it's how I was going to do it. Car is OK and doesn't lose any value, if you make any mistakes, and assuming all goes well, you've either got an engine to sell or a spare. And as above, time is not an issue, and as it's not urgent, it can be done as funds allow too without having to cut any corners just to get it done ASAP.

Agree also with the comment on this forum, loads and loads of info and help :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
You may want to call Automotion of Maplewood. Although I personally haven't been there, the po of my car had it maintained there. I got a clutch replacement quote of $1400 which I'm planning to do in spring. Nice guy, Dan, a previous BMW tech at Sears (now Mntka BMW).

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I agree with M5London. Do compression and leak testing because your engine may be in great shape. I did this two weeks ago and had absolutely perfect results! My car has 97k miles. I will also be getting my oil tested to get an idea of rod bearing wear.

Overall, the best advice for doing an engine refresh is to replace the rod bearings, chains, chain guides, tensioners, and then replace the DME sensors MAFS, CPS, TPS, O2, and probably also your thermostat and spark plugs. There are a ton of rubber and plastic hoses and valves under the plenum that are wise to replace as well.

These items alone will set you back $5k-$10k unless you do them yourself. But in the end you will basically have a good as new S62. Well worth it and it will provide you at least another 100k miles or more worry free!

·
Registered
732 Posts
Wow Minnesota is getting more and more M5's. If you need any help I could lend a hand, that goes for anyone from MN. I would recommend doing the timing chain guides and the rod bearings and then just drive the crap out of it. No real reason to rebuild the entire engine unless something is wrong with it, the BMW V8's are very reliable engines. I just pulled a M60b30 from my E34 530iT that I converted to a 540iT/6, that had 234000 on it, and dynoed at 218 hp (stock BMW HP rating).

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
TJ, I agree with your thinking, sometimes I like to replace parts and rebuild stuff just for the fun of it. I think we all get a bit paranoid about what might be about to go wrong, and forget about just enjoying cars like this. That's partly the thinking behind my agreeing with the buy another engine, the chances are yours is fine, nothing is about to go catastrophically wrong. Working on another engine can fulfill the desire to rebuild an engine (caveman stylee), and reduces the chance of buggering up what is likely to be a perfectly fine unit.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Definitely don't dismantle the S62 just to do it.

Do a compression test and leak down, pending the results I agree with Wurger. If the results are less than satisfactory I would get a spare S62 and build it to your liking! Get some VAC heads, Cams, have VAC Sleeve the block, forged rods and pistons, with a nice header setup! Definitely see 500-530HP with that setup.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
To answer your thread question: YES

I am right now fully rebuilding 2 S62 and have already fully rebuilt quite a few.

The recommendations above are very good!

First do compression and leak down test,also while spark plugs are removed,check the cylinder walls with a borescope!!!!!!!!

The plan the depends on the results.

If they are fine,I would change the CPS',the rod bearings and the chain guides with tensioners,chains and Vanos rebuild.

I have so many S62s coming in with always the same hardware issues,chain guides and rod bearings.

Otherwise the engine is very solid.

It also depends very much on your budget,as a full rebuild done by a shop can climb up easy to 10k+...

Get the before mentioned things checked and report back.

Then we go from there and see what makes sense and is in the budget!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did do a compression check last year 15psi was the differance in the high and low cylinders. I have not done a leak down test or looked at it with a bore scope. I am starting to hear a ligh knock when it idels. Im hoping its timing slack.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I did do a compression check last year 15psi was the differance in the high and low cylinders. I have not done a leak down test or looked at it with a bore scope. I am starting to hear a ligh knock when it idels. Im hoping its timing slack.
Schuttsr, I can swing by sometime with mine if you want to compare cars. I am in St. Paul most weekends. I am going to guess the "knock" you hear is from the vanos unit. They make noise, just the nature of the unit, I actually consider mine on the quite side compared to most that I have heard.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Schuttsr, I can swing by sometime with mine if you want to compare cars. I am in St. Paul most weekends. I am going to guess the "knock" you hear is from the vanos unit. They make noise, just the nature of the unit, I actually consider mine on the quite side compared to most that I have heard.

Thank you for the offer TJ hunter! I may take you up on that offer come spring. I just went and checked on the beast in storage after the metro dome killing snow storm and found that Im in need of a (factory only) battery. Do you know if there is anyone local that has done the rod bearing and timing chain and guide repair? I wouldnt mind trying to work on this engine but I cant find any tourqe specs or information (except for this site) about the s62. Plus the amount of specialty tools needed is crazy.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Thank you for the offer TJ hunter! I may take you up on that offer come spring. I just went and checked on the beast in storage after the metro dome killing snow storm and found that Im in need of a (factory only) battery. Do you know if there is anyone local that has done the rod bearing and timing chain and guide repair? I wouldnt mind trying to work on this engine but I cant find any tourqe specs or information (except for this site) about the s62. Plus the amount of specialty tools needed is crazy.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To answer your thread question: YES

I am right now fully rebuilding 2 S62 and have already fully rebuilt quite a few.

The recommendations above are very good!

First do compression and leak down test,also while spark plugs are removed,check the cylinder walls with a borescope!!!!!!!!

The plan the depends on the results.

If they are fine,I would change the CPS',the rod bearings and the chain guides with tensioners,chains and Vanos rebuild.

I have so many S62s coming in with always the same hardware issues,chain guides and rod bearings.

Otherwise the engine is very solid.

It also depends very much on your budget,as a full rebuild done by a shop can climb up easy to 10k+...

Get the before mentioned things checked and report back.

Then we go from there and see what makes sense and is in the budget!
Thank you for your input. I have really enjoyed your DIY sections!

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
All you need is metric tools to start working on it.

Did you work on engines before?

For rod bearings or chain guides no special tools are needed...

If you need any torque or other specs,let me know!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
All you need is metric tools to start working on it.

Did you work on engines before?

For rod bearings or chain guides no special tools are needed...

If you need any torque or other specs,let me know!

Just lots of time and patience it looks like. I do have a nice set of metric and torqs head sockets.

I have rebuilt a few sohc honda engines, a few chevy LSX engines and alot of 13bREW rotarys

I thought there was a tool to use compressed air to push the vanos out of the head? I will work on getting a drill bit and tape. lol.

I may have to take you up on that offer this spring! Thanks!

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Just lots of time and patience it looks like. I do have a nice set of metric and torqs head sockets.

I have rebuilt a few sohc honda engines, a few chevy LSX engines and alot of 13bREW rotarys

I thought there was a tool to use compressed air to push the vanos out of the head? I will work on getting a drill bit and tape. lol.

I may have to take you up on that offer this spring! Thanks!
If you read through the cam timing DIY I wrote,you will see that there is no need for the compressed air tool!

Seems like you have a good knowledge then to tackle down the rod bearings and the chain guides.

A DIY on chain guides follows anyway,soon.

So no worries about that!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you reed through the cam timing DIY I wrote,you will see that there is no need for the compressed air tool!

Seems like you have a good knowledge then to tackle down the rod bearings and the chain guides.

A DIY on chain guides follows anyway,soon.

So no worries about that!
Im really not to worried about changing the rod bearings but the timing componets on this engine look super complicated. I may have to just dig in. It always seems harder than what it is before you take it apart. At least for me. I will be waiting on that chain guide diy! Cannt wait to read!
Thanks again for the info and support!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts